Windows 10: Upgrade fails for win 10 1511 --- load from usb ?

Discus and support Upgrade fails for win 10 1511 --- load from usb ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have 1511 installed and hit the issue with a couple of updates not installing so I can't install the Anniversary and follow-on upgrades. Has anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by larimar, Oct 18, 2016.

1. larimar Win User

Upgrade fails for win 10 1511 --- load from usb ?

I have 1511 installed and hit the issue with a couple of updates not installing so I can't install the Anniversary and follow-on upgrades.
    Has anyone used the Media creation tool, downloaded the Win 10 Home/Pro x64 v.1607 to a USB stick, and then performed an in-place upgrade/repair.
    Was it successful?
    To boot from the usb should I change the bios for usb first, or just load within win 10 , from the usb drive. When should I remove the stick?
    Sorry for so many questions --- fairly new at this
    Appreciate all help

:)

larimar, Oct 18, 2016
  2. Red.32 Win User

Windows 10 November 1511 Upgrade and HID Sensor Collection V2

So I totally reinstalled Windows 10 1511 from a USB stick, and the result is the same. Version 1511 upgrade broken with the touch screen - on startup, I get "WUDFPf (part of UMDF) did not load yet. After it does, Windows will start the device again." and
    then "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_0483&PID_91D1&Col01\7&1ee98eef&0&0000." - which is the touch screen.

Red.32, Oct 18, 2016
  3. Sueska Win User
    "defaultuser0" created on clean install of Anniversary Update

Thanks AV, will try usb next time and report back. Not really sure why using bootable dvd should fail, since I have used this method before on 3 successful Win 10 clean installs (on 1511 and 2 earlier previews). I was also able to successfully upgrade
    from 1511 to 1607 using iso to bootable dvd last August. Anyway, my next attempt will be using bootable usb, but not likely til next month, household needs time to de-stress.

Sueska, Oct 18, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Nope, neither update to AU, nor upgrade install from ISO worked for me - did a clean install of AU, installed apps and copied user files from mounted backup.

I did run WU thereafter sucessfully and drivers got installed, but since have only installed updates manually - all sucessfully. (with WU update blocked in firewall)

Superfly, Oct 18, 2016
  5. larimar Win User
    Wow --- incredible --- and a lot of extra work!
    Wish MS would just leave a working OS alone --- I do not need all the gee wiz stuff ---
    just a good performing background OS
    Thanks !

larimar, Oct 19, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, I used the Media Creation Tool to make the USB to upgrade my 1511 Home x64 to 1607. I didn't boot from the USB, but ran Setup from within Windows. I recently did an in-place repair to see if it would fix a minor problem (misreporting the design capacity of my battery). That too was started by running the Setup on the USB from within Windows, took about an hour and (apart from not fixing my problem) went flawlessly.

If you do want to boot from the USB (as I did for the previous upgrade to 1511) you may have to change the default bios boot order (that's if you don't have the option I had - F12 to choose boot device). The first stage of the upgrade is copying files to the hard drive. The time to remove the USB would be when it shuts down for the first re-boot.

HTH

PS: before doing a major upgrade like this, it's always a good idea to make a backup system image first. Macrium Reflect is highly regarded on these boards, but failing that you could use the 'make system image' option in the built in Backup and Restore (Windows 7).

7. larimar Win User
    Thank you HTH
    Really appreciate you guidance!
    Best

larimar, Oct 19, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Actually 'HTH' is short for 'Hope That Helps' - obviously it does. *Smile

Good luck,

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade fails for win 10 1511 --- load from usb ? - Similar Threads - Upgrade fails 1511

2. Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails: I have tried upgrading my system from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. I downloaded the upgrade from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 The upgrade gets approximately 90 to 95 percent installed, and errors out. Now every time I get the...
  3. Win 10 USB install fails to load drivers

Win 10 USB install fails to load drivers: Hi everyone, Long time Mac user switching back to PC here. I'm stuck installing Windows at the very beginning, before choosing any drive to install to. I've made a USB bootable installer, which loads, and takes me to a "windows needs to load drivers" message right after...
  4. win 10 load with usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 load with usb: error trying to load win 10 USB can't find the driver on the computer cant boot my laptop to open win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-load-with-usb/1a57e8ce-173d-4204-b961-db8a6d63a481
  5. Upgrade from 1511 "Windows 10 installation has failed" Dism fails too

Upgrade from 1511 "Windows 10 installation has failed" Dism fails too: So I'm trying to upgrade this version of Windows 10 1511 build 10586.1176 and no matter whether I disable internet, delete the old $WINDOWS.~BT directory contents, or any other number of common solutions it continues to fail to upgrade. I've tried to use different versions,...
  6. Windows 10 Upgrade From 1511 to 1803 or Higher Fails

Windows 10 Upgrade From 1511 to 1803 or Higher Fails: I've an older Toshiba Satellite L25-S121 laptop. The detailed spec sheet of this laptop can be found at https://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=1250428&isFromTOCLink=false The laptop came with Windows XP Pro 32-bit OS. I bought Windows 10 Home OS...
  7. Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly

Upgrading from 1511 Failing Repeatedly: I've got a PC stuck on 1511 and repeatedly failing to upgrade. I have other, part-for-part identical PCs on 1803 so I don't think there's any hardware compatibility issue. At this point I'm trying to update to 1803 using the Upgrade Assistant. This is the error that I'm...
  8. second attempt for WIN 10 upgrade 1511

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    second attempt for WIN 10 upgrade 1511: I have downloaded the original WIN10 from WIN7 earlier in October. I missed the November WIN10 upgrade to 1511 because I didn't have 31 days on WIN10 yet. Does anyone know when the second attempt will be in December? I don't want to do it myself, but just wait for the upgrade...
  9. Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511

Use bootable USB to upgrade to 1511: Okay so I couldn't get Windows Update to install the November update, so I downloaded the .ISO file and created a bootable USB drive. My question is can use the setup .exe in the thumb drive to do the upgrade? Or will this want to do a clean install? I just want the...
  10. Downgrading from Win-10 1607 to Win-10 1511

Downgrading from Win-10 1607 to Win-10 1511: Recently Windows 10 on my desktop PC upgraded itself to Build 1607. Immediately my Brother printer stopped working (it was removed from the list of printers and could not be reinstated). Other funny things happened too. I downgraded back to Build 1511 and the printer now...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hid\vid_0483&pid_91d1&col01\7&1ee98eef&0&0000.

2. the driver \driver\wudfrd failed to load for the device hid\vid_0483&pid_91d1&col01\7&1ee98eef&0&0000.