Windows 10: upgrade from home to pro fails

Discus and support upgrade from home to pro fails in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; hi, i have recently bought a laptop that came with windows 10 home, i wanted to convert it to pro, so i bought oem key from an online store, but when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SyedNaeem, May 6, 2020.

1. SyedNaeem Win User

upgrade from home to pro fails

hi,

i have recently bought a laptop that came with windows 10 home, i wanted to convert it to pro, so i bought oem key from an online store, but when i am trying upgrade windows by going in to settings > activation like microsoft says, i see en error message 0xc004f050, now i checked this error message, from what i understood it means that key is correct, but not for this version of windows,

the store that i bought the key from they have mentioned in their help center that oem keys will work on clean install, but not on upgrade/downgrade.

now i have tried from several different sources, but i cannot find windows 10 pro iso,,, i get iso's but when i install them they all turnout to be home, not pro, and i dont get prompted on which version of windows i want to install,

so is there a way that i can convert my oem key to upgrade key? or how can i install pro version so i can activate it with the oem key that i purchased

:)

SyedNaeem, May 6, 2020

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 6, 2020
  3. BUG
    bug Win User
    Ssd upgrade

What do you mean "no good"? At which step did it fail?

4. upgrade from home to pro fails

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Update Failed)

Hello

Try to use these steps to remove the SoftwareDistribution folder and redownload and then reinstall Windows 10 .

Let me know if it helps. This error code is appearing a lot with Windows Upgrades and the real cause needs some research.

Yuri Pustjens, May 6, 2020
Thema:

upgrade from home to pro fails

1. upgrade from home to pro fails - Similar Threads - upgrade home pro

2. Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed: None of the steps that I've followed in the community have worked. Is there a Microsoft licensing I can call to get help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-11-home-to-pro-failed/a18a1f09-9591-4492-81ec-e6ad9df968e5
  3. Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from 11 home to pro failed: None of the steps that I've followed in the community have worked. Is there a Microsoft licensing I can call to get help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-11-home-to-pro-failed/a18a1f09-9591-4492-81ec-e6ad9df968e5
  4. Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro failing: I am attempting to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro from Home version through the Microsoft store. I purchased the upgrade and it shows up in my order history but when I click "install" in the Microsoft store, it reaches 9% then fails with an error code: 0x80070490....
  5. Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Windows 11 Home to Pro failing: I am attempting to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro from Home version through the Microsoft store. I purchased the upgrade and it shows up in my order history but when I click "install" in the Microsoft store, it reaches 9% then fails with an error code: 0x80070490....
  6. Failed Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro: My current laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T490 came with Windows 10 Home installed. I went to the Microsoft Store to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I purchased the upgrade and installed it at which point the computer gave error code 0x80070005. I restarted and said "Applying updates"....
  7. upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from home to pro: i have a HP DESKTOP WITH WINDOWS HOME INSTALLED. i purchased an upgrade on 08/12/2020. i have tried numerous times and it fails the install. it has a digital key code. the upgrade says that the home edition may not be valid. I tried using the generic activation code and...
  8. upgrade from home to pro fails 0xc004f050

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    upgrade from home to pro fails 0xc004f050: hi, i have recently bought a laptop that came with windows 10 home, i wanted to convert it to pro, so i bought oem key from an online store, but when i am trying upgrade windows by going in to settings > activation like microsoft says, i see en error message 0xc004f050, now...
  9. Upgrade from home to pro

Upgrade from home to pro: If I upgrade to "Windows 10 Pro" from "Home" is my "Home" license still valid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-home-to-pro/a78fe5c9-84bd-421f-bb3c-b27f9b5b7073"
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro

Upgrade from Home to Pro: Just wondering, if I happen to upgrade my Windows 10 from Home to Pro, what will happen to my Home activation key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-home-to-pro/ae4c447a-f850-4ffc-835e-f99d0764b553"