Windows 10: Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails

Discus and support Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have bumped into this problem, where I am unable to upgrade my current Windows 10 Home to a Education edition. When I fill in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KevoSoft, Sep 19, 2015.

1. KevoSoft Win User

Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails

Hello everyone,

I have bumped into this problem, where I am unable to upgrade my current Windows 10 Home to a Education edition. When I fill in the activation code in the Activation menu of Windows update, the upgrade process starts without a problem, and finishes to 100%. The PC then restarts, after which I am prompted with a screen saying that the upgrade failed (a very generic error screen). The eventviewer gives me the following error: "Package Windows Education Edition failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x80071a90.". I have had a Microsoft support person look at it for 3 hours to no avail. My version of Windows 10 Home has been provided through the free upgrade, from Windows 8.1 Home. Can anyone help me with getting it done?

Thanks everyone!

:)

KevoSoft, Sep 19, 2015
  2. ChemaPG Win User

Windows 10 Education

Thanks a lot for the response.

I have seen that I can download W10 Education ISO from here: Download Windows Disc Image (ISO File) Academic

Can I use this ISO for doing a clean install of W10 Education in a computer that has no OS?

For downloading the ISO I need to enter the key I have. I assume installing W10 Education will be similar to W10 Home. In the process of installing it, can I press the "I do not have a key " option and continue the installation process without entering a
    key? If that was the case, I would be able to try if the new computer works before using the key I have for activating W10 Education, and forget about trying first W10 Home.

Thanks again in advance. Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails :)

ChemaPG, Sep 19, 2015
  3. windows update

I wonder if the problems are related to changing the product key?

has anyone here not changed the key?

i also had the issue after I upgraded an HP OEM W10 home Edition to W10 professional education.

only after wiping the whole partition and installing a "raw" W10 (the W10 pro key was taken automatically from UEFI) the problem resolved.

before nothing helped, not even manually installing the KB's....

Ludwig.Wilhelm, Sep 19, 2015
  4. shimshom Win User

Have you tried to clean install with the pro version and input the Education key when it asks for a key

shimshom, Sep 21, 2015
  5. KevoSoft Win User
    I have not tried a clean install, because for me on this device that is a last resort. I need to be able to use this device at a moment's notice. If there is no other way, then I will do a clean install, but if there is another option to get it done, I'd prefer that.

KevoSoft, Sep 21, 2015
  6. As far as I know the Pro ISO will not accept an education key. You need an Education ISO to do a clean install with. Home/Pro and Education are two separate ISO's on MSDN. If you use a pro ISO you'll probably have to install Pro and do the change key to get Education. I went from Pro to Education no problem. Is Home to Education a valid upgrade path? I googled it but all I'm getting is the Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 upgrade paths.

alphanumeric, Sep 22, 2015
  7. alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails - Similar Threads - Upgrade W10 Home

2. upgrade w10 home 32 bits to w10 pro 64 bits

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade w10 home 32 bits to w10 pro 64 bits: My computers is x64 based, with 8GB RAM (avaible 4GB ?!?) and my windows 10 home is 32 bits. Can I upgrade to windows pro 64 bits? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-w10-home-32-bits-to-w10-pro-64-bits/0c7f0fdb-6d5e-4404-8f88-7bd216715aab
  3. Windows 10 Home upgrade to W10 Pro with a product key fails

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Home upgrade to W10 Pro with a product key fails: Hello Community. I have a new Dell XPS15 64bit with W10 Home. My old laptop has a goosed display and I have located from its hard drive the Key from my W10 Pro. But when I try to upgrade my Dell XPS15 using the Product key from my old laptop W10 Pro the process fails to...
  4. Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure

Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure: But not in the usual way - the Store would not accept the digital license for the W10 Pro I had purchased to do the upgrade - it offered me W10 Home again. So I tried using a physical disc for W10 Pro and it started fine and went online to collect update files to install....
  5. Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reusing W10 Home product key after upgrading to W10 Pro: A long time ago I upgraded a computer from W10 Home to W10 Pro. This was a custom build and both the original W10 Home activation and the new W10 Pro activation were done via product keys ordered from Amazon. No Microsoft account has ever been involved with either key. Back...
  6. W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD

W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD: Windows 10 Home x64 in use. This W10 is activated after upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD and a valid key ? The current Windows 10 Home x64 has applications...
  7. Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...

Upgraded from W7 Pro, and got W10 Home...: Hi all, Done a fair bit of searching and my problem seems to be fairly unique. Long story short, I had W10 Home installed, formatted and installed an unused copy of W7 Pro, used the W10 Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to W10 again expecting to then have W10 Pro, but it still...
  8. W10 Fail

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Fail: I was hoping for a "reduction" with the bells and whistles when I installed W10 yesterday. It saddens me that Microsoft did not listen to people about the traditional Start Menu--or at least, give the PC user the ability to change the Start Menu to look and behave exactly...
  9. Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?

Will I upgrade to W10 Pro or Home?: Edit: I was able to upgrade to W10 Pro RTM and activate. The responses below that say this is not possible are wrong. Mentioned here also Build 10240: Did you get assigned a license/product key? : Windows10 Hi, I have a laptop with OEM key in the BIOS which shipped with W8...
  10. Failed W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed W10: Currently using desktop. Yesterday I downloaded W10 on my notebook (it had been in order for me to do so). After many hours, and updating, I thought I'd have W10 working, but amongst the updates I saw W10 cancelled, or failed. No idea why. I can't find any evidence of W10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to upgrade to w10 education