Windows 10: Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails

Discus and support Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I have bumped into this problem, where I am unable to upgrade my current Windows 10 Home to a Education edition. When I fill in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KevoSoft, Sep 19, 2015.

1. KevoSoft Win User

Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails

Hello everyone,

I have bumped into this problem, where I am unable to upgrade my current Windows 10 Home to a Education edition. When I fill in the activation code in the Activation menu of Windows update, the upgrade process starts without a problem, and finishes to 100%. The PC then restarts, after which I am prompted with a screen saying that the upgrade failed (a very generic error screen). The eventviewer gives me the following error: "Package Windows Education Edition failed to be changed to the Installed state. Status: 0x80071a90.". I have had a Microsoft support person look at it for 3 hours to no avail. My version of Windows 10 Home has been provided through the free upgrade, from Windows 8.1 Home. Can anyone help me with getting it done?

Thanks everyone!

:)

KevoSoft, Sep 19, 2015
  2. ChemaPG Win User

Windows 10 Education

Thanks a lot for the response.

I have seen that I can download W10 Education ISO from here: Download Windows Disc Image (ISO File) Academic

Can I use this ISO for doing a clean install of W10 Education in a computer that has no OS?

For downloading the ISO I need to enter the key I have. I assume installing W10 Education will be similar to W10 Home. In the process of installing it, can I press the "I do not have a key " option and continue the installation process without entering a
    key? If that was the case, I would be able to try if the new computer works before using the key I have for activating W10 Education, and forget about trying first W10 Home.

Thanks again in advance. Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails :)

ChemaPG, Sep 19, 2015
  3. windows update

I wonder if the problems are related to changing the product key?

has anyone here not changed the key?

i also had the issue after I upgraded an HP OEM W10 home Edition to W10 professional education.

only after wiping the whole partition and installing a "raw" W10 (the W10 pro key was taken automatically from UEFI) the problem resolved.

before nothing helped, not even manually installing the KB's....

Ludwig.Wilhelm, Sep 19, 2015
  4. shimshom Win User

Have you tried to clean install with the pro version and input the Education key when it asks for a key

shimshom, Sep 21, 2015
  5. KevoSoft Win User
    I have not tried a clean install, because for me on this device that is a last resort. I need to be able to use this device at a moment's notice. If there is no other way, then I will do a clean install, but if there is another option to get it done, I'd prefer that.

KevoSoft, Sep 21, 2015
  6. As far as I know the Pro ISO will not accept an education key. You need an Education ISO to do a clean install with. Home/Pro and Education are two separate ISO's on MSDN. If you use a pro ISO you'll probably have to install Pro and do the change key to get Education. I went from Pro to Education no problem. Is Home to Education a valid upgrade path? I googled it but all I'm getting is the Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 upgrade paths.

alphanumeric, Sep 22, 2015
  7. alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Education fails - Similar Threads - Upgrade W10 Home

2. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro: unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-from-w10-home-to-pro/3c031906-3508-4d7a-a288-c81b6cb5e8cf
  3. unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro: unable to upgrade from w10 home to pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-upgrade-from-w10-home-to-pro/3c031906-3508-4d7a-a288-c81b6cb5e8cf
  4. Watermark activated after upgrade to w10 pro from w10 home

Watermark activated after upgrade to w10 pro from w10 home: Hello, I cannot activate windows after an upgrade to Pro from Home. The watermark remains on screen at all times. All I want is to revert back to Windows 10 Home because it says my license is only valid for home, but I am stuck in pro and it gives me trouble when attempting...
  5. Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro

Upgrading W10 Home to W10 Pro: I bought a new PC and am attempting to upgrade from the W10 Home that came with the PC with a version of W10 Pro that I bought to upgrade my old PC but the new machine will not recognize the software on the flash drive containing the W10 Pro upgrade...
  6. Upgrading from W10 Home to Pro

Upgrading from W10 Home to Pro: I am thinking about upgrading to W10 Pro but I have a question. I have 3 computers and they are all about 7 years old so in your opinion would this update be beneficial or should I just buy a new one. Thanks 162616
  7. In the 2020 era: How to Convert W10 "Home" to W10 "Education"?

In the 2020 era: How to Convert W10 "Home" to W10 "Education"?: I have an OEM installation of W10 HOME with a digital license on my new HP laptop. I just bought a W10 EDUCATION Product Key from my university. Can I simply "upgrade" from W10 HOME to W10 EDUCATION using SETTINGS>ACTIVATION>CHANGE PRODUCT KEY ? Or is this simply approach...
  8. Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?

Upgrade W10 Home to PRO ?: I'm needing a workable procdure for this upgrade. Since its been a long time since I purchased a NEW manufactured system (usually build all my own desktops), I know little in what form the machine will be in at power up. Some history first: I have just purchased a Lenovo...
  9. UPGRADE FROM W10 PRO EDUCATION TO PRO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UPGRADE FROM W10 PRO EDUCATION TO PRO: Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Pro Education. Right now I have Pro Education installed and I would like to change it to Windows 10 Pro since I've always used that and it's my preferred OS. If I get a Windows 10 Pro OEM key, can I change it?...
  10. Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure

Attempt to upgrade from W10 Home to W10 Pro failure: But not in the usual way - the Store would not accept the digital license for the W10 Pro I had purchased to do the upgrade - it offered me W10 Home again. So I tried using a physical disc for W10 Pro and it started fine and went online to collect update files to install....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to upgrade to w10 education