Windows 10: Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop?

Discus and support Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm posting on the Win 10 forum, rather than Win 7, because I think it's a Win 10 issue. My grandson uses one of my old Win 7 laptops. I've just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by OldGrantonian, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop?

I'm posting on the Win 10 forum, rather than Win 7, because I think it's a Win 10 issue.

My grandson uses one of my old Win 7 laptops. I've just found a HowToGeek article saying that MS are allowing free upgrades from 7 to 10.

I just want to know if the old laptop has the specs to cope with Win 10:

- Hard drive: 340 GB free. (I can get more back from the Data partition, if necessary)

- 4 GB RAMLaptop is used mainly for browsing, Word, Excel. No high-speed graphics or gaming,

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Jan 15, 2020
  2. lse123 Win User

is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool said all OK and continued OK with upgrade... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all OK for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?
    and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)
    is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

lse123, Jan 15, 2020
  3. is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I think in one of the other PC with win 7 or win 8.1 I run media creators tools and in some step prompt/found graphics card not supported... for win 10. I didn't found alone reading specs of win 10, but
    the tool says me... after changed graphics card the tool says all ok and continued ok... That I ask to reach this step in this current PC - win 7 - must be all ok for the upgrade? Or must continue to upgrade to show this?

and got to point

• UPGRADE this PC now
    • Create media(DVD, USB stick, ISO)

is hardware OK (Win 7) for an upgrade to windows 10 for this PC???

Lse123polis, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop?

is hardware OK (Win 7) for upgrade to windows 10

I have given you the advice of what to do about IF you can get 10 for free and about checking the compatibility.

There is no point in you asking the same questions over and over.

I have nothing further to add.

What you do now is up to you.

Bill Smithers, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop?

1. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: What specs are needed on old laptop? - Similar Threads - Upgrade specs are

2. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  3. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  4. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  5. Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win 7 to win 10 fails: I have tried upgrading my system from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. I downloaded the upgrade from this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 The upgrade gets approximately 90 to 95 percent installed, and errors out. Now every time I get the...
  6. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  7. upgrading laptop from win 7 to win 10 migration fails

upgrading laptop from win 7 to win 10 migration fails: I have tried twice to uprade Lenovo thinkpad from win 7 to windows 10 but it fails migration. After purchasing windows 10 from Microsoft store I have downloaded windows 10 to a USB device just in case. the laptop has Norton active. Do I have to uninstall it or turn it...
  8. upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure

upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10 failure: getting the error "failed in SECOND BOOT, MIGRATING DATA step" when trying to upgrade from WIN 7 to WIN 10. any idesa on how to fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-7-to-win-10-failure/5897582e-19f6-4dd0-a905-db07ffc929b9
  9. upgrade from win 7 to 10

upgrade from win 7 to 10: I have an existing desktop computer running with windows 7. I purchased a new windows 10 dvd. My windows 7 is win 10 compatible. All the help ie videos etc seem to be based on using the windows "media creation tool" and not the official Microsoft dvd. If anyone can guide me...
  10. Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Old Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10: I have a PC that came with Win 7 and I upgraded it to Win 10 when the upgrade was free. I now have a new PC that shipped with Win 10. On the new PC I will be installing Vmware so I have a virtual machine. How can I use the Win 7 license from the old PC (and then upgrade...