Windows 10: Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

Discus and support Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AdamUH, Jun 22, 2021.

1. AdamUH Win User

Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is better: To just apply the upgrade or do clean install? Or it doesn't matter?Thank you

:)

AdamUH, Jun 22, 2021

2. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version.

My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to the new computer.

Should I upgrade from OEM Home to MSDN Pro on the old computer and then transfer everything to the new computer?

Or just install Win10 PRO MSDN on the new computer and use the backup software vendor's application transfer program to move the applications and registry entries.

My goals are:

1. Not have any "dinosaur bones" either from the OS on my SSD from the old OEM Home version on the new PRO version
    2. Not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything (which would take about a week)
    Thanks for any advice I can get...

BobMac1547x, Jun 22, 2021
  3. Upgrading OEM Win10 Home to MSDN Win10 Pro

Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version.

My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to the new computer.

Should I upgrade from OEM Home to MSDN Pro on the old computer and then transfer everything to the new computer?

Or just install Win10 PRO MSDN on the new computer and use the backup software vendor's application transfer program to move the applications and registry entries?

My goals are:

1. Not have any "dinosaur bones" either from the OS on my SSD from the old OEM Home version on the new PRO version

1. Not have to reinstall and reconfigure everything (which would take about a week)

Thanks for any advice I can get...

bobmac1547, Jun 22, 2021
  4. patkim Win User

Understanding difference between OEM & Retail Windows 10 Home to Pro Upgrade if any

Hi,

I am aware that you can upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro by following certain steps and paying a fee to Microsoft to get a new Pro license.

However what I am not clear is about the type of license that Windows 10 Pro then comes with after an upgrade

When I upgrade OEM Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, do I still retain the license as Windows 10 Pro OEM or does it now become a retail Pro license?

If it still remains as OEM License, is there a difference in the fee structure for upgrading OEM Home to Pro & Retail Home to Pro?

As I understand a retail license offers flexibility to move to another computer but OEM does not. OEM is tied to the first motherboard on which it's activated.

Thanks

patkim, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro - Similar Threads - Upgrade win10 OEM

2. Home to Pro upgrade on OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home to Pro upgrade on OEM: I have a pc with an OEM Windows 11 home license. If I purchase a Win 11 Pro upgrade, is the upgrade transferable in the event that I change PC and downgrade the original?...
  3. win10 pro upgrade from win10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 pro upgrade from win10 home: I'm upgrading my home edition to pro which I have done before with other win10 home pc's, don't need or want the hassle of a new install. I got a win10 pro, its the full pkg, with an install cd. first I did the change key with the generic win 10 pro key, reboot, and then...
  4. Upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro

Upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro: I just completed an upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro. I paid $99 to do this.Everything seemed to be going well, but right at the end, the upgrade terminated giving me an error 0X80070005. My PC was "frozen," so I rebooted.On the reboot, the system went through several rounds of...
  5. Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?

Win7 home->Win10 home->Win10 Pro with retail key?: I have a PC that started at Win7 home OEM. It was free upgraded to Win10 home. I purchased a win10 pro retail key. If I use the key, will I end up with a Win10 pro retail? There are benefits to having retail versions....
  6. Back to windows 10 home OEM from Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Back to windows 10 home OEM from Pro Retail: I've Windows 10 Professional Retail product key. My laptop has Windows 10 Home OEM. I want to upgrade to win 10 Professional Retail. Can I get back to my OEM Win 10 Home again? How? I would like to avoid using product key if I cant get back to my win 10 Home OEM. Please help...
  7. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have Windows 10 Pro Retail license previously in my old PC (own build) and now I bought a new Dell PC with Windows 10 Home OEM installed. How can I upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM in the Dell PC with Windows 10 Pro license from another PC? I don't use the old PC (own build)...
  8. OEM Home to PRO Retail

OEM Home to PRO Retail: I recently bought a Professional Retail Licence. After I the 1903 Update, I decided to perform clean install by using USB Drive. I added ei.cfg [EditionID] Professional [Channel] Retail [VL] 0 I also add pid.txt to automate install, After installation is complete. I...
  9. Upgrading OEM Win10 Home to MSDN Win10 Pro

Upgrading OEM Win10 Home to MSDN Win10 Pro: Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version. My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to...
  10. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?: Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version. My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to...