Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; We purchased a new computer which included an OEM Product Key for Windows 10 Pro. Rather than install Windows and then copy all the data and apps from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PABesw, Dec 13, 2020.

1. PABesw Win User

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key

We purchased a new computer which included an OEM Product Key for Windows 10 Pro.
    Rather than install Windows and then copy all the data and apps from our old computer which had Windows 10 Home, we cloned the old hard-drive to the new PC.
    This means the new computer is running Windows 10 Home, and we are now trying to use the new product key to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    Not sure if it makes a difference, but the old computer was originally purchased from the same OEM as the new PC.
    The upgrade fails: "The the product key you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. 0xC004F050"
    Are we doing something wrong, or is it not possible to use the OEM Product Key that came with the computer to upgrade from Home to Pro in this way?

:)

PABesw, Dec 13, 2020

2. Upgrade a Win 10 home OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM with Win 10 Pro OEM Key?

I recently purchased a laptop that has an OEM version of Win 10 Home on it.

I verified this by using : slmgr -dli.

Previously I had purchased an OEM Win 10 Pro Key.

Can I use this OEM Win 10 Pro Key to upgrade the OEM Win 10 Home to the OEM Win 10 Pro.

If so what are the steps to accomplish this?

In addition, I assume that is this is possible, that the current product key will be updated to the new product key?

The reason I am asking this is that it's my understanding that these product keys are tied to the bios on a name brand laptop.

TIA

shockwaveriderz, Dec 13, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Win10 Home to W10 Pro Upgrade Error using Product Key

The keys are there because 1. It is the product key you end up with when you gain a digital license for Windows 10 Pro through legitimate means and 2. When you do a clean install of Windows 10 (without adding an ei.cfg file), on a computer with a product key for Windows 10 Home stored in UEFI, you can use the generic product key to upgrade the Windows 10 Home that installs by default to Windows 10 Pro - but only if you have an existing digital license for that computer for Windows 10 Pro previously stored on Microsoft Activation Servers.

The reason the generic Windows10 Pro product key will not upgrade your Windows 10 Home to Pro is because you do not have a preexisting digital license for Pro for that computer stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Dec 13, 2020
  4. simrick Win User

Can't upgrade to an OEM version of Windows 10 Pro with product key

Hi.
    Have you tried this?
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro - Windows 10 Forums

It may work .

I'm thinking you'd be able to activate your W10 Pro install with your W10 Pro key after the upgrade.

simrick, Dec 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM Product Key - Similar Threads - Upgrade Home Pro

2. Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key: Hi All, I am upgrading my laptop hard drive from SATA to ssd, the windows version which I had got along with my laptop as oem edition windows 8.1 in these years it has been upgraded to windows 10 pro. Now I am facing issue in installing windows 10 pro in my ssd as Microsoft...
  3. Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key: Hi All, I am upgrading my laptop hard drive from SATA to ssd, the windows version which I had got along with my laptop as oem edition windows 8.1 in these years it has been upgraded to windows 10 pro. Now I am facing issue in installing windows 10 pro in my ssd as Microsoft...
  4. Windows 10 Home to Pro using OEM product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Win 10 Pro OEM Product Key will not upgrade from Home when reinstalled

Win 10 Pro OEM Product Key will not upgrade from Home when reinstalled: I have a laptop with a win 10 Pro OEM.The laptop has been rebuilt several times to provide a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro without any issues.I am no longer to able to do this, i now have to install Win 10 Home and then upgrade to Pro but this fails as the product key is...
  6. Win 10 Pro OEM Product Key will not upgrade from Home when reinstalled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Pro OEM Product Key will not upgrade from Home when reinstalled: I have a laptop with a win 10 Pro OEM.The laptop has been rebuilt several times to provide a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro without any issues.I am no longer to able to do this, i now have to install Win 10 Home and then upgrade to Pro but this fails as the product key is...
  7. Win 10 Pro OEM Product Key will not upgrade from Home when reinstalled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 upgrade using OEM Key to Pro

Windows 10 upgrade using OEM Key to Pro: Hi All I have a computer bought from a distributor running Win 10 Home and I want to know if it's possible for me to purchase Windows 10 Pro OEM and upgrade the Home to Pro without reinstalling it? thanks....
  9. Upgrade Win 10 Home to Win 10 pro using OEM key

Upgrade Win 10 Home to Win 10 pro using OEM key: Hello, my desktop is win 10 home edition. I just bought a win 10 pro OEM key, but I still cannot upgrade my win 10 home to pro. It is appreciated for your help....
  10. About upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro using a product key

About upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro using a product key: Hey, I bought a windows 10 pro product key from a local retailer. But the key is not working. Giving an error0xc004f210. What can I do to fix this?[ATTACH]...