Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got two laptops: the old one, with Windows 10 Pro (1909) installed after a free update from Windows 8.1 Pro the new one, with Windows 10 Home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Remiscan, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Remiscan Win User

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key

I've got two laptops:
    • the old one, with Windows 10 Pro (1909) installed after a free update from Windows 8.1 Pro
    • the new one, with Windows 10 Home (1909) installed

I've got the Windows 8.1 Pro product key, and I want to transfer it to the new PC. Microsoft support tried to help me, but here's the conclusions we reached:

• I can't use the 8.1 Pro product key in the setting to upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro
    • I could use it if I had Windows 10 Pro installed instead of Home
    • I can't use the generic Windows 10 Pro product key to start the upgrade, because the new PC doesn't have a Pro licence
    • I could upgrade directly from Windows 10 Home to Pro if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key
    • I can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro and activate it later, because the installer (from the media creation tool) automatically understands that I have a Home licence and not a Pro licence, and doesn't let me choose

So, according to the support guy, my only option is to clean install Windows 10 Pro, and then it will recognize my Windows 8.1 Pro key and activate it.

It seems so weird to me that, having a valid Pro licence (in the form of a Windows 8.1 Pro product key), I can't directly upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro. Like, I have the licence, it will only work if I enter it after the upgrade, but I can only start the upgrade after entering the licence ??

So here I am, asking if there's a workaround that would allow me to simply upgrade my Windows 10 Home to Pro without losing any files, programs or settings, just like if I had a Windows 10 Pro product key instead of a Windows 8.1 one.

Is there any way to convince the media creation tool or whatever else to download an iso/anything that would upgrade Home to Pro?

Whatever the answer is, thank you Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key :)

EDIT: Okay so I had a weird idea and I have no idea if it would work, but basically: what if I clean installed Windows 8.1 Pro on another partition on the new PC, activated it to with the product key, updated it to Windows 10 Pro (is that still possible?)... Would that link a Windows 10 Pro licence to my Microsoft account as a digital licence for the new PC, that I could then use to upgrade the other partition to Pro for free through the Microsoft Store?

:)

Remiscan, Jan 15, 2020

2. windows 10 key

I read through most of that thread and it seems you have to jump through windows insider hoops. Is there a Retail Windows 10 x64 PRO ISO I can download directly from microsoft that my windows 8 key will work with?

Easy Rhino, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Jan 15, 2020
  4. omaer97 Win User

omaer97, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro with Windows 8.1 Pro key - Similar Threads - Upgrade Home Pro

2. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  3. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  4. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key: I have a Windows 8 Pro product key that I purchased years ago when Windows 8 was first released.I go to the "Update & Security" tab in settings in my Windows 10 home laptop.I then select the "Activation" tab on the side panel.I then select "Change product Key".After entering...
  6. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key: I have a Windows 8 Pro product key that I purchased years ago when Windows 8 was first released.I go to the "Update & Security" tab in settings in my Windows 10 home laptop.I then select the "Activation" tab on the side panel.I then select "Change product Key".After entering...
  7. Unable to Upgrade Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 8 Pro key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using Windows 8 Pro Lisence Key

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Pro using Windows 8 Pro Lisence Key: Hello! I have one quick question: Is it still possible to use an old Windows 8 Pro license to upgrade my Windows 10 to professional? I saw in articles online that it was possible but when I went to activation and put in the Product Key in my email from when I bought Windows...
  9. Windows 10 Pro key cant upgrade Windows from Home to Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Pro key cant upgrade Windows from Home to Pro?: So I bought a Windows 10 Pro key on Ebay like 2 years ago for 5$. I used it to activate my laptops windows which was Windows 10 Home and as expected it upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro. Everything is working perfectly fine to this day. I'm looking again for a key on Ebay and it...
  10. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...