Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I upgraded mu HP laptop, bought in 2016, from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after being informed by Microsoft that W 7 was no longer being supported. Since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TonyMoore1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs

I upgraded mu HP laptop, bought in 2016, from Windows 7 to Windows 10 after being informed by Microsoft that W 7 was no longer being supported. Since that time, and despite an expert from Microsoft helping me, my computer keeps shutting down over and over again. When this happens I get a message, "Video Driver failed to start" and in addition I now get a QR square on my now black screen, saying Kernel Failed. I am a writer and have to keep re starting my laptop over and over again. I have updated my video driver many times and it is up to date.What can I do?

:)

TonyMoore1, Feb 6, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Feb 6, 2020
  3. windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 6, 2020
  4. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs

1. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 causing continued shut downs - Similar Threads - Upgrade causing continued

2. WINDOWS Fail to Shut Down, and continuing from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WINDOWS Fail to Shut Down, and continuing from sleep mode: so here i just installed Windows 11 Pro, everything was fine, then i want to shut down my PC, all the accesories allready off but my pc wont turn off, so i force shut down it and start it back again. then ive got this message "Windows failed fast startup with error status...
  3. WINDOWS Fail to Shut Down, and continuing from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WINDOWS Fail to Shut Down, and continuing from sleep mode: so here i just installed Windows 11 Pro, everything was fine, then i want to shut down my PC, all the accesories allready off but my pc wont turn off, so i force shut down it and start it back again. then ive got this message "Windows failed fast startup with error status...
  4. Windows 10 Pro Sleep and Shutdown upgraded from Windows 7 shuts down Cisco SG220 switchport

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Pro Sleep and Shutdown upgraded from Windows 7 shuts down Cisco SG220 switchport: Hello,Description:One of my VoIP customers IT upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 and since then when entering Sleep Mode or Shutdown it disconnects the switchport on Cisco SG220 28P Managed Switch causing our SIP devices to go offline.Cisco switch has no port security, energy...
  5. Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 caused stuttering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 caused stuttering: Hi there, I recently upgraded my self built PC from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 pro. In doing so I now get a stuttering that stops basically everything on my computer for about half a second every two seconds. I have been working on trying to fix this for the better part of...
  6. computer continuously shutting down unexpectedly.

computer continuously shutting down unexpectedly.: Recently, following a forced update that happened while i was sleeping, my computer has been shutting down unexpectedly. There's no blue screen, it just blanks out and restarts itself back up. I tried using system restore to go back to before the update was installed, but the...
  7. Windows 10 Sleep Mode Causes Shut Down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Sleep Mode Causes Shut Down: Hello I recently downloaded the latest Windows 10 update via restart. Now, whenever I close my computer lid or press the Power Button to put the device to Sleep, every time I wake it up by opening the lid or pressing the Power Button again, it boots up as though it was...
  8. windows 10 media installer to upgrade from 7, computer shuts down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 media installer to upgrade from 7, computer shuts down: i downloaded windows 10 media installer to upgrade , frm 7 to 10 , problem is my computer keeps shutting down at various stages and keeps on so i have to restart frm scratch. any ideas?...
  9. PC upgraded from Win 7 to WIn 10, and shuts downs

PC upgraded from Win 7 to WIn 10, and shuts downs: I volunteer at a retirement community and help the residents with their computers. One lady has a Toshiba Satellite L675-S7018 laptop which came with Windows 7 several years ago. SHe was having several problems (including two viruses) so I did a clean install of Windows 10...
  10. Surface Pro continually shutting down

Surface Pro continually shutting down: My surface Pro continually shuts down every two minutes or less regardless of sleep and shut down times selected for battery and plugged in operation. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-pro-continually-shutting-down/e37063eb-d33c-41a4-893f-202467a342a3