Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 not working

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 not working in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I purchased an upgrade for Windows 10, currently using Windows 7 on a Dell PC. It seemed to install well but when I log in I get a blank/black screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KarenMurray4, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 not working

I purchased an upgrade for Windows 10, currently using Windows 7 on a Dell PC. It seemed to install well but when I log in I get a blank/black screen. Ctrl+alt+del gives an error message of "failure to display security and shutdown options". I've restarted several times, let it sit shut down over night, and it is still not working. I cannot access anything on that computer. I've also tried to open in safe mode and it will not work. Any ideas? It is a computer needed for student to do high school work during Covid-2019 quarantine.

:)

KarenMurray4, Mar 24, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Mar 24, 2020
  4. Mussels Win User

Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 not working

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 not working

1. Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 not working - Similar Threads - Upgrade working

2. Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11. Microsoft App Store not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11. Microsoft App Store not working: Tried everything to get the Windows Store to work. PLease help Install the latest PowerShell for new features and improvements! https://aka.ms/PSWindows PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppXPackage Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  3. Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11. Microsoft App Store not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Win 10 to Win 11. Microsoft App Store not working: Tried everything to get the Windows Store to work. PLease help Install the latest PowerShell for new features and improvements! https://aka.ms/PSWindows PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppXPackage Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register...
  4. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10: My laptop has a broken screen and i use HDMI to connect it to TV screen. i upgraded to windows 10 and now i cant switch screens again, tried Win + P and it doesnt work, i think im in middle of upgrade because i can barely see little blue window on top of my screen and it...
  5. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10: My laptop has a broken screen and i use HDMI to connect it to TV screen. i upgraded to windows 10 and now i cant switch screens again, tried Win + P and it doesnt work, i think im in middle of upgrade because i can barely see little blue window on top of my screen and it...
  6. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work: My computer has been stuck on "Undoing changes from update" for a week now, ive decided to reinstall windows as that was the only way to get out from what i read.I downloaded the windows installer to a USB drive and i booted into it from my computers boot menu.The problem i...
  8. Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work

Windows 11 / USB Installer / Upgrade wont work: My computer has been stuck on "Undoing changes from update" for a week now, ive decided to reinstall windows as that was the only way to get out from what i read.I downloaded the windows installer to a USB drive and i booted into it from my computers boot menu.The problem i...
  9. Bitlocker key not working, after window upgrade 10 to 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker key not working, after window upgrade 10 to 11: I recently i upgrade my window 10 to 11, after that my bitlocker key is not working in my encrypted drive.I try many to unlock my bitlocker drive but showing msg wrong key but I enter the correct key my bitlocker.Anyone can suggest, how to fix the issue...
  10. Bitlocker key not working, after window upgrade 10 to 11

Bitlocker key not working, after window upgrade 10 to 11: I recently i upgrade my window 10 to 11, after that my bitlocker key is not working in my encrypted drive.I try many to unlock my bitlocker drive but showing msg wrong key but I enter the correct key my bitlocker.Anyone can suggest, how to fix the issue...