Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 7 via usb without losing data?

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 7 via usb without losing data? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, The old motherboard on my custom desktop broke so I had to replace it with a new one as well as a few other new components. I was previously... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by m8cct, Aug 28, 2020.

1. m8cct Win User

Upgrade from Windows 7 via usb without losing data?

Hello,

The old motherboard on my custom desktop broke so I had to replace it with a new one as well as a few other new components. I was previously running Windows 7 on my old mobo but I just learned after installing my new one that it is only Windows 10 compatible. So, I am trying to upgrade, but as I cannot boot up my pc past BIOS at this point in time, I am having to use a media installation drive to install Windows 10. However, I do not have the option to Upgrade during setup, because it is not an upgrade option available when starting a computer using Windows installation media.

So I have to go the custom install route, which is fine, but is there any way to preserve the all the data currently installed on my SSD? It seems like I will have to totally overwrite my SSD. I have no way of booting into Windows 7 anymore and I don't know how else to backup and reinstall all the data I have. I pretty much use this system exclusively for gaming, so all I have installed is a ton of game data, save files, drivers, etc. It would still be an absolute pain to start over from scratch. Is there no other way around it?

Now I wish I had upgraded to Windows 10 a long time ago, but I just loved Windows 7 :

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

:)

m8cct, Aug 28, 2020

2. losing data on usb

Questions

Hello I am experiencing intermittent loss of word files on my USB

I presume it is virus related.

What symptoms do my computers have?

They are a succession of laptops they were loaded with XP but had probs so I installed windows 7… I bought the copy of 7 at a garage sale and installed it on four laptops.

Well the symptoms the computers have is that they will not retain the proper date and time.

There is no loss of data or access to files on the laptops but occasionally I will lose data on the USB drive.

Occasionally I will be using the usb in any of the four computers

and occasionally it says the usb needs scanning

then occasionally I put the usb in a machine and it comes up loss reading drive f:

and I end up going to a back up usb with data loss of recent work.

Well is there any suggestions about what could be the probs?

Is the data loss on usb related to the probs that computers have retaining correct time

Simon Overall New Zealand

[Moderator Edit: Moved from Virus & Malware \ Other \ Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats \ Windows 7]

SimonOverallYV, Aug 28, 2020
  3. thraxed Win User
    Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Upgrade from Windows 7 via usb without losing data?

streetfighter 2, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade from Windows 7 via usb without losing data?

1. Upgrade from Windows 7 via usb without losing data? - Similar Threads - Upgrade via usb

2. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  3. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  4. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. upgrade from windows 8.1 professional to windows 10 professional without losing data

upgrade from windows 8.1 professional to windows 10 professional without losing data: I have a desktop with windows 8.1 professional 64 bit license OS installed. I have to upgrade it with windows 10 professional . Is it possible to upgrade it without losing applications and data? I don't want to format my HDD.thanks in advance....
  6. Upgrade to a bigger Windows M2 SSD without losing data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to a bigger Windows M2 SSD without losing data: Hello dear Windows10 Reddit-community, I am seeking for your help and advices. I do want to upgrade my "(C:)" M2 SSD to a new one with more storage. Sadly I do not have a second M2 slot. What is the best, less annoying or fastest way to upgrade without losing my data on that...
  7. Repair windows from USB without losing data and program files

Repair windows from USB without losing data and program files: So I recently installed an SSD onto my pc that was previously running off just an HDD. I cloned the HDD disk onto the SSD and changed my bootup option to the SSD in the BIOS. Then I cleaned the HDD through command prompt, tried booting up again off the SSD but am getting the...
  8. Upgrade PC without losing my HDD data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Upgrade PC without losing my HDD data: Hi! I've bought all the components for my new PC but I want to keep the things that I already have in my hard drive disk. Between the new components, there is an M.2 of 250 Gb and I want to install the operating system there. I've heard about making partitions of my HDD and...
  9. losing data on usb

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    losing data on usb: Questions Hello I am experiencing intermittent loss of word files on my USB I presume it is virus related. What symptoms do my computers have? They are a succession of laptops they were loaded with XP but had probs so I installed windows 7… I bought the copy...
  10. How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without losing data

in Windows 10 News
    How to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without losing data: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you upgrade from one version of Windows to a higher version, new features get added to your computer, and at the same time, your files & data remain intact and unaffected. This means that a user can use their [...] This post How to upgrade from Windows...