Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it?

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a machine running Windows 8 which is full of stuff I'd want to reinstall, so didn't get round to upgrading to 8.1, especially once I discovered... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DavidY, Sep 3, 2015.

1. DavidY Win User

Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it?

I have a machine running Windows 8 which is full of stuff I'd want to reinstall, so didn't get round to upgrading to 8.1, especially once I discovered Windows 10 was coming.

So my question is - can I use the ISO from the Media Creation Tool, to go straight from Windows 8.0 to Windows 10? (Then I'd probably clean-install Win10 anyway.) Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance...

:)

DavidY, Sep 3, 2015
  2. Widower64 Win User

re-upgrading my HP Compaq dc 7900 64 bit sys a second time after Win 10 pro 64 crashed

I need to know if I will have to do all the upgrades again, from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 8, then Win 8.1 and then finally Win 10 Pro all of which were 64 bit upgrades.

I used a Windows 8.1 Product key when I upgraded from Wins 8 pro 64 bit, to 8.1 pro 64 bit, and then when Win 10 pro upgrade came out I upgraded to it. all three upgrades were done through the windows upgrade notices.

But Windows 10 pro was giving me problems from the start and three months ago the computer started having screen lock ups, keyboard locked and mouse not working. I couldn't even do a reboot, had to shut the computer down using the power on/off button on
    the front of the mini tower to reboot.

I don't want to make a mistake and by pass the other upgrades only to find that Windows 10 pro won't activate and have to go back to reinstall win 7 ultimate all over again.

Can anyone help me with this problem.

Widower64, Sep 3, 2015
  3. mlg63 Win User
    Windows 10 from 8.1, asks me for my windows code and cant find it...

You must have done a clean install instead of an upgrade. Only an upgrade is free. Reinstall windows 8 and upgrade again. Win 8.1 must be installed, activated and updated to get the upgrade for free. Boot to win 8 and then start the upgrade or use setup
    on the win 10 media you made from the ISO File. Do NOT boot to the install disk.

mlg63, Sep 3, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

Yes I can do it, or Yes you (or someone you know of) have tried it? (Admittedly I said 'my question is' and then I asked 2 questions *Wink )

DavidY, Sep 3, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes to both. You can do it and I know someone who has.

NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2015
  6. Joergi Win User
    In order to have it activate after using the upgrade app, you will have to be using Windows 8.1 - otherwise you would not even have gotten this app. So will Windows 10 be activated, if you upgrade from a state, from which -at least through the upgrade app- you cannot upgrade?

The second aspect that comes to my mind is: Users of Windows 7 SP 1 and of Windows 8.1 are eligable for the free upgrade. If you run Windows 8(.0), you do not belong to this group.

Joergi, Sep 3, 2015
  7. What app are you talking about? The OP mentioned an ISO they made using the Media Creation tool -- NOT running an app.

Wrong! The group to which you refer is the folks that can upgrade using Windows Update. Folks running Win8 CAN upgrade using media created from the Media Creation tool.

Stop spreading this garbage about Win"8" users NOT being able to upgrade or activate.

Mark Phelps, Sep 3, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

My understanding you can't go from 8 to 10.. it's only 8.1 to 10.

BunnyJ, Sep 3, 2015
  9. Joergi Win User
    Yeah, that's what I have read as well.

Joergi, Sep 3, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    And you read it incorrectly. What was printed by Microsoft was that a user must be on Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 in order to upgrade to Windows 10 VIA WINDOWS UPDATE. The OP is not asking about upgrading to Windows 10 via Windows update. The OP is asking about upgrading using a Windows 10 ISO.

Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it? [​IMG]

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool - Windows Help

NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2015
  11. genet Win User
    Yes.

This works, I have tried it.

1. Clean install Windows 8 (not 8.1).

2. Check that Windows 8 is activated.

3. There is no need to install updates from Windows Update in Windows 8.

4. Create a Windows 10 installation media (USB/DVD/ISO) using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it? [​IMG]

5. Upgrade Windows 8 to Windows 10 from Windows 10 USB/DVD/ISO.

For example:
    - In Windows 8, mount the Windows 10 ISO image file by right-clicking the ISO image file and choosing Mount. (If you don’t see Mount command from the context menu, go to Open with -> Windows Explorer instead.)
    - Run the setup (setup.exe) file to start Windows 10 Setup.

6. After the installation of Windows 10, check that Windows 10 is activated.

genet, Sep 3, 2015
  12. DavidY Win User
    Thanks both. I'd seen that 'Upgrade Matrix' diagram before, but as that was published a few months before the actual release, I wasn't sure if it had turned out to work in practice.

It's useful to get confirmation that people have actually done it (which is what I was really after).

The method genet posted is the same as what I was planning to do, so it's good to get confirmation of that too.

DavidY, Sep 3, 2015
  13. Joergi Win User

This kind of false information in fact is wide-spread. It is part of sources like reputable software websites and Wikipedia. Thank you for clearing that up. *Smile

Joergi, Sep 3, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    To do the upgrade, do not boot from the install media you create. Just insert it as a storage device with Windows 8 already running and run setup.exe from it. If you get asked for a product key during the upgrade, stop and cancel - something is wrong, probably the wrong version of Windows 10 downloaded.

NavyLCDR, Sep 3, 2015
  15. DavidY Win User
    Yeah I've upgraded from Win 8.1 at least a couple of computers that way (and also upgraded VMs between various Insider builds)- it sounds like the same method as I usually use.

DavidY, Sep 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Upgrade from Windows 8 (not 8.1) to Win 10 - anyone done it? - Similar Threads - Upgrade anyone done

2. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  3. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 8. to 10: Downloading windows 10 from 8.1 this message pops up "This cant run on your PC' What does this mean?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-8-to-10/e8e9e65d-8325-4dc3-bca1-3ce2e1858e46
  4. Upgrade from 8. to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  6. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  7. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  8. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 upgrade from win 8 Stuck: You won't find this laptop in either of my specs and falls in the "sure I'll take a look at it" family category. My Nephew's Gateway NE56R48u was being upgraded to 10 when the upgrade hung in one of those moments that the machine needed to restart itself. The screen stayed...
  10. Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?

Anyone done a dual boot setup of Windows 8 and 10?: Hi I'm getting there, I've downloaded the .ISO file, I've made 2 images of my C:\ drive (using 2 different backup programs) and I've created a 100 GB partition on my second hard drive labeled Windows 10. Now I'm going to create the install DVD. I'm hoping that...