Windows 10: Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails

Discus and support Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi! I've successfully updated to Windows 10 on my two Surfaces, but there is some kind of issue on my desktop PC. The upgrade process from Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ReasonSharp, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails

Hi!

I've successfully updated to Windows 10 on my two Surfaces, but there is some kind of issue on my desktop PC. The upgrade process from Windows 8 fails at about 71% total (Installing features and drivers at 91%), and the error I get is:

C1900101-40017 Windows Update ran into a problem.

It's not a very helpful message, to say the least. When I click on "Get help with this error" I'm directed to a page with some general troubleshooting with Windows Update. I've run Windows update repair tool and it fixed some issues, but the installation failed again.

I have now tried freeing up more disk space which I admit was a bit tight and I'm preparing to run the update again. Still, I'd prefer if there was a more detailed error message or a log file where I could see what exactly went wrong, but there are no indications where I might find one (either in the error message, the troubleshooter, or Google). As it is, I'm shooting blind here and this will now be my fifth upgrade attempt.

If anyone has any pointers about how to proceed, any advice would be most welcome.

EDIT: Oh, and if the installation succeeds this time, I'll say so in a reply to myself and mark the thread as solved. Might save someone some trouble, hopefully.

:)

ReasonSharp, Sep 7, 2015

2. upgrade to windows 10 home

I have gone through all these articles, but nothing addresses the issue. I repeatedly receive these messages when I "Review Update History"

Name Status Importance Date Installed

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/10/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/9/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/9/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/8/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/7/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/7/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/6/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/5/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/4/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/3/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/2/2015

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home Failed Important 8/2/2015

It appears that Windows 10 Home has been attempting to install since 8/2/2015, but can not for some reason. I'd like to know what I need to do to correct the problem so the download can complete.

BrendaLuckey, Sep 7, 2015
  3. Jim JC Win User
    upgrade to windows 10 home

I also am having the same issue with a Dell Inspiron Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. Does anyone have an answer to this issue, seems like numerous people are having the same problem!

Jim JC, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Charlie Win User

Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails

Welcome to the TenForums.
    We have seen lack of disk space as a problem and some have fix an install by adding space. Good luck with that. *Biggrin

Charlie, Sep 7, 2015
  5. Thanks! Sorry, too frustrated right now to properly introduce myself. Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails :p
    I hope I've freed up enough, because my SSD fills up rather quickly after I install Windows and all the developer tools I need. Can't really make a living without anything that's left after I uninstalled The Sims IV. Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails :p

ReasonSharp, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Charlie Win User
    I have read that if it installs then you can reduce the space that you allocated for the install *Smile

Charlie, Sep 7, 2015
  7. Almost all of my 110 GB SSD drive was full after the upgrate to w10. But the culprit was not Windows: Kapsersky alone took a whopping 87 Gb, then Skype 27 Gb (never use Skype on this machine and it wasn't even installed!), then a virus called Norton (a software which infect almost every computer in the world and pass for an antivirus) also 20 Gb, and other things. So be carefull! Delete the huge folders in question in "C:\ProgramData". If you don't use the programs which have a folder in C:\ProgramData, you can delete it. But do not delete folders for program which you are still using, or if they are realy excessively large, ininstall the program, delete the folder (if still necessary), then reinstall the program. Good luck.

Fredledingue, Sep 7, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Sep 7, 2015
  9. You seem to be correct here, but it looks like there's nothing official about it.

After I've cleaned up my disk the upgrade failed yet again, but this time the computer booted up in 1024x768 resolution, with my graphics card driver malfunctioning. Restarting the computer (Update and restart) fixed the issue, but I'm back at 8.1 again.

I guess I'll be trying out a couple of things in that thread.

ReasonSharp, Sep 8, 2015
  10. DaiB Win User
    Hi. I tried everything knowing it was probably a driver trying to access memory that was forbidden in Win 10. Knowing there were things starting up that weren't listed in Programs and Features of Startup I used 'Autoruns' which can be downloaded from MS or wherever. It was a revelation. It listed several drivers for long dumped printers, cards etc. I unticked a few obvious obsolete drivers and tried Win 10 upgrade again and it worked! Try it. I don't know why MS haven't offered this solution and I wonder how many users are aware of all this junk still active in the Registry?

11. The issue seems to have resolved itself, or there was a problem with Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise I had on my system. The trial license I had was close to expiration, so I uninstalled VS and installed VS 2015 Community. While at it, I accidentally mis-clicked something in my task bar and the upgrade to Windows 10 window opened and I thought I'd give it another shot. I hadn't tried the upgrade for several months, but there were no significant changes on my system, except this uninstall and regular updates.

The next day I had Windows 10, and now I have another set of problems, but I'll ask that elsewhere.

ReasonSharp, Dec 6, 2015
  12. spapakons Win User
    OK! Let's hope you'll solve the issues soon and start enjoying Windows 10...

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 fails - Similar Threads - Upgrade fails

2. IN-Place upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 Fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    IN-Place upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 Fails: WE ahve 35 systems that will not complete an in-place upgrade to windows 11. We ahv e tried the assistance, a USB drive, and an ISO but all systems will have an errow when it reboots to windows 11 for the first time. I am confident the issue is with a driver however, I am...
  3. IN-Place upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 Fails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IN-Place upgrade from Windows 10 to 11 Fails: WE ahve 35 systems that will not complete an in-place upgrade to windows 11. We ahv e tried the assistance, a USB drive, and an ISO but all systems will have an errow when it reboots to windows 11 for the first time. I am confident the issue is with a driver however, I am...
  4. Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.: I bought an Acer Aspire Evro 16 with Windows 11 Home pre installed.I have paid £119.99 to Microsoft store, order number 3548372093, to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. When I tried to perform the upgrade it produced the error 0x80070490. Where do I go to resolve this situation?...
  5. Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.

Upgrade from Windows11 home to Windows 11 Pro Failed.: I bought an Acer Aspire Evro 16 with Windows 11 Home pre installed.I have paid £119.99 to Microsoft store, order number 3548372093, to upgrade to Windows 11 Pro. When I tried to perform the upgrade it produced the error 0x80070490. Where do I go to resolve this situation?...
  6. windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed: Hi,We have upgraded all our clients to win 11 using Intune feature update policy.We have few clients that are failing to upgrade to windows 11. After troubleshooting, we have removed the drivers that are blocking OS upgrade. Now the problem is windows 11 upgrade is not...
  7. windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed

windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed: Hi,We have upgraded all our clients to win 11 using Intune feature update policy.We have few clients that are failing to upgrade to windows 11. After troubleshooting, we have removed the drivers that are blocking OS upgrade. Now the problem is windows 11 upgrade is not...
  8. windows 11 upgrade doesn't show up again once it is failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490: Hi,I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Windows 11 Home edition preinstalled on it. After activating the Windows and installing all the available updates, I purchased a Windows 11 Pro licence through Microsoft Store, but the upgrade failed with Error Code 0x80070490.I...
  10. Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490

Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade failed with 0x80070490: Hi,I purchased a brand new Acer laptop with Windows 11 Home edition preinstalled on it. After activating the Windows and installing all the available updates, I purchased a Windows 11 Pro licence through Microsoft Store, but the upgrade failed with Error Code 0x80070490.I...