Windows 10: Upgrade Hardware of PC without formatting Windows 10

Discus and support Upgrade Hardware of PC without formatting Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My PC with Windows 10 has very old hardware, and it needs a hardware upgrade i.e. a new motherboard and processor. However, I cannot format my hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Yajat Gupta, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Upgrade Hardware of PC without formatting Windows 10

My PC with Windows 10 has very old hardware, and it needs a hardware upgrade i.e. a new motherboard and processor. However, I cannot format my hard disk containing the OS as I have files which cannot be backup and cannot be restored back. So, how can I do that, without affecting the files and the OS?

:)

Yajat Gupta, Jul 16, 2020
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jul 16, 2020
  3. CK011885 Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Jul 16, 2020
  4. EarthDog Win User

Upgrade Hardware of PC without formatting Windows 10

Windows 10 formatting ?

But he already went to 10, so it's already tied to his hardware no?
    To that end, he would only need to create the install media from the MS website, format upon installation and activate. There shouldn't be a need to to 10 since he is currently there and activated. See post 3...

Or.. did I miss something? If he's on 7, can you still get 10 free if you didn't activate it before that expired?

Edit: You have to use the assisted technology to get it free now... a bit shady to me if you aren't using that tech. That way you'd have to upgrade to 10.. then format and reinstall for a clean install.

EarthDog, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade Hardware of PC without formatting Windows 10

1. Upgrade Hardware of PC without formatting Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Upgrade Hardware without

2. (Help) Windows 10 how to format the PC without downgrading & upgrading it.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    (Help) Windows 10 how to format the PC without downgrading & upgrading it.: I have a Windows 10 Laptop and i need to know how to format the PC without downgrading & upgrading it. I don't wanna downgrade Windows 10 from my PC, so i wanna format the PC the other way. I already tried Factory Reseting the PC, but it's not working because it says "Charger...
  3. Reactivate Windows 10 after PC Hardware Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivate Windows 10 after PC Hardware Upgrade: Hi I just upgraded my PC Motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, Etc and kept my old SSD and HDD drives with windows installed which was activated with a Windows 10 Pro license. However now Windows 10 says it's unactivated, and that I need to buy it. I have tried troubleshooting and it...
  4. Format hard disk without windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Format hard disk without windows 10?: Hello, is there a way to format my hard drive but leave Windows 10 on it? Thanks in advance. Festplatte formatieren ohne windows 10?
  5. Windows 10 upgrade without format C , D , E drives is that possible?

Windows 10 upgrade without format C , D , E drives is that possible?: hi all, is that possible to upgrade windows 10 from version 1709 to 1909? without format C , D , E drives is that possible? i have provided you the snaps to look over.[ATTACH]...
  6. how to format my pc without losing my genuine windows 10

how to format my pc without losing my genuine windows 10: how to format my pc without losing my genuine windows 10 I don't have a product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-my-pc-without-losing-my-genuine/6eb90ee7-4bd6-4f6a-8821-f8c8a605afc4
  7. Windows 10 and upgrading hardware

Windows 10 and upgrading hardware: Hello, I want to upgrade my PC. I'm replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and adding a SSD (M.2). Previously this PC was Windows 7 and I upgraded to Windows 10. From what I understand, replacing the hardware will require Windows 10 to be re-activated. My question is...
  8. HOW TO UPGRADE WINDOW 10 AFTER FORMATTING PC

HOW TO UPGRADE WINDOW 10 AFTER FORMATTING PC: I FORMATE MY PC DUE TO FAILURE OF WINDOW 10 OCTOBER UPDATE ( MY PC IS NOT OPENING).NOW I AM USING WINDOW 7 . HOW CAN I UPGRADE AGAIN TO WINDOW 10 HOWEVER I WERE FACED HEATING PROMLEM AFTER UPGRADE FROM WINDOW 7 TO 10.PLEASE PROVIDE SOLUTION FOR THIS ALSO....
  9. Windows 10 format pc

Windows 10 format pc: Hello everyone. This is my problem. I reinstalled windows 10 in my PC, but it keeps saying that it was not possible to activate windows 10. And I remember windows gave free license when they released it. Why I can't have my free license installed again!?...
  10. Windows 10 Activation / format and hardware change

Windows 10 Activation / format and hardware change: Hello I have recently upgraded my hardware, formatted my primary SSD and completed a fresh windows 10 install via the media creation tool. I was previously using windows 10 with an activated copy that I thought was linked to my Microsoft account. After reinstalling and...