Windows 10: Upgrade hung on "Checking for Updates

Discus and support Upgrade hung on "Checking for Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 3 year old Asus Desktop, Windows 8.1 installed. My customer did a refresh and obviously lost all programs and Apps. Data OK. Suggested upgrading to 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cfourkays, Oct 23, 2019.

1. cfourkays Win User

Upgrade hung on "Checking for Updates

3 year old Asus Desktop, Windows 8.1 installed.
    My customer did a refresh and obviously lost all programs and Apps. Data OK.
    Suggested upgrading to 10 while I had it? OKed
    From the Media Creation Toll site, tried both Upgrading this PC and using a created USB with same result.
    I get to: "Getting Windows", "Checking for Updates" and it hangs at "always" 46%.. Left it on overnight and stayed there.
    Restarted normal and cleared the Update cache although I don't think that applies.

Pete

:)

cfourkays, Oct 23, 2019

2. background (wallpaper) seems to be hung

I see on my background a picture from a series of pictures I wanted for a slide show. Went to Settings/Personalization/Backgrond and followed the steps once upon a time and I think it worked? Anyway, now the app appears to be hung and I don't know how to get it working. I've tried going through the settings and can change the background (behind the slideshow) color but nothing else. I found your forum and tried many of the ideas suggested to no avail. Can someone suggest how to get it working again?

hustlinghare, Oct 23, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Oct 23, 2019
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

geforce experience takes an age to load..

Well that's why I asked. Mine is on SSD and takes 11 seconds. Your list of games will not appear if it has not checkd for updated suggested settings for awhile until it checks.

When it says it is refreshing the game list, it is checking, because NVIDIA periodically updates suggested settings. Plus it will look for those for new games you have installed.

So, the less it is run, the slower it will be.

rtwjunkie, Oct 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrade hung on "Checking for Updates - Similar Threads - Upgrade hung Checking

2. updates is hung up. It will not update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    updates is hung up. It will not update: I think I accidentally clicked to download windows 11 after realizing this I think I closed the process thru task manager but I dont remember. I have ran the ms trouble shooter twice and it says that it could not find the problem. When I try to update in security/updates it...
  3. updates is hung up. It will not update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    updates is hung up. It will not update: I think I accidentally clicked to download windows 11 after realizing this I think I closed the process thru task manager but I dont remember. I have ran the ms trouble shooter twice and it says that it could not find the problem. When I try to update in security/updates it...
  4. updates is hung up. It will not update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Hung Update Windows 10

Hung Update Windows 10: After more then 16 hours my computer is stuck in update mode. Trying to boot into safe mode to abort the update seem to fail. At this point the computer is useless.What steps do I need to do to end this madness and get my system back?It's at 38% and rebooting always hangs me...
  6. Hung Update Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hung Update Windows 10: After more then 16 hours my computer is stuck in update mode. Trying to boot into safe mode to abort the update seem to fail. At this point the computer is useless.What steps do I need to do to end this madness and get my system back?It's at 38% and rebooting always hangs me...
  7. Hung Update Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Upgrade to Win 10 Hung

Upgrade to Win 10 Hung: I have just upgrade to Win 10 from 7. The upgrade appears to have been successful, it worked through all the stages but it has now hung at this screen. It has been here for a couple of hours. I can hear the hard disk spinning but the drive light is not flashing. Help would...
  9. Windows Update hung on Checking for updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update hung on Checking for updates: Already restarted PC, stopped service and started it again, and used a different LAN port, and ran troubleshooter...I need help. Edit: ok now its working again as it should. I ran sfc /scannow while it was wonky and came out clean. I had trouble using/getting to Microsoft...
  10. Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows updated by checking the defer upgrades: I was trying to update to anniversary update but it's not updating until i checked the defer upgrade the update works now, so why is it defer upgrades worked opposite? 94358