Windows 10: Upgrade install W10 64 from W7 64 SPI with non default Users Folder

Discus and support Upgrade install W10 64 from W7 64 SPI with non default Users Folder in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I have read through the tutorial "Users Folder -Move Location in Windows 10" but unsure if it applies. I have the os on a SSD and the data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Zwyx56, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Zwyx56 Win User

Upgrade install W10 64 from W7 64 SPI with non default Users Folder

Hello. I have read through the tutorial "Users Folder -Move Location in Windows 10" but unsure if it applies. I have the os on a SSD and the data partitions D through to I on a pair of mirrored dynamic HDD's. I don't want to do a clean install and I want to preserve progs and data. All of which backed up.

Problem 1: I put the newly bought OEM dvd in and started set up. It did this and that but didn't get to the bit where I have to press ctrl+shift+F3 to go into Audit mode etc. Instead I get a window saying "installation failed" with no clue why not !
    Q: is there a log file hidden away?

Problem 2: Looking at the bit where I have to alter an "unattended answer file". Well my Users Folder is on partition letter I, but how do I know whether W10 will overwrite everything?

Thank you for reading this

:)

Zwyx56, Jan 18, 2017

2. 32 bit W7 to 64 bit W10 uppgrade

So I can reinstall and make a clean W7 64 bit install, and then upgrade to W10 64 bit.

Can I use the product key from the W7 32 bit DVD, with a W7 64 bit Iso download ?

ErlingHaugvaldstad, Jan 18, 2017
  3. Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 32-bit

Is it possible to upgrade from W7-64 to W10-32?

Yes, it's not a mistake: I want to try W10-32 but my current OS is W7 Pro-64.

LEBOUBOU64, Jan 18, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I wrote the tutorial you mentioned and know this method as well as anyone else here on Ten Forums (not bragging, just stating a fact). It applies if and only if you have used the Sysprep method to relocate Users folder in the first case in Windows 7, 8.1 or earlier build of Windows 10. Any other method to relocate Users folder, it must be moved back to C: before upgrade or upgrade will fail.

In your case the tutorial does not apply in any case because of mirrored drives. Clean install is your best shot. See this tutorial: Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

5. Zwyx56 Win User
    Thank you for your reply Kari. I shall bite the bullet and do a clean install. It was several years ago since I have. I installed W7 using Audit mode etc. to move Users Folder.

I appreciate your and tutorial and video. Indeed all of the advice from the Forum's Gurus. When I spoke to the Microsoft UK help department I was assured all my progs and data would be safely left where they resided, no matter what partition. And I though, wow, Microsoft has come on a long way regarding making installation simple....

But I can't understand why dynamic disks would make a difference. Thought that would be invisible to OS except in Computer Management section.

Question 3: Are you saying that a clean install of W10 64 Pro is not possible using Mirrored Dynamic Disks?

Best regards

Zwyx56, Jan 19, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    I have tested various upgrade scenarios quite extensively. I have never managed to upgrade Windows with mirrored drives or RAID with*relocated*Users folder. It can be done by moving the Users back to C: drive.

Clean installing on mirrored drive is something I have never done, not even to test it. I am not able to tell if it works or not. I would not even try it, regardless if possible or not. I would first install Windows, then mirror my drives.

7. Zwyx56 Win User
    Thank you for your replies.

I have ordered a larger SSD and shall do a clean install of the OS to it. I shall use the mirrored HD drives for personal data folders relocated by the "move" command within Explorer. That's the plan.....

Regards

Zwyx56, Jan 21, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

Please do post what you did and how it worked *Smile

Kari, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade install W10 64 from W7 64 SPI with non default Users Folder - Similar Threads - Upgrade install W10

2. Upgrading from W7 to W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  3. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  4. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  5. W10-64 missed an upgrade?

W10-64 missed an upgrade?: Looks to me like the Aspire did not/will not update W10 version compared to the Dell. What to do????. [img] [img] 128146
  6. W10 64-bit installing 32-bit software by default?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 64-bit installing 32-bit software by default?: Hi there, I have upgraded my W7 64-bit to W10-64bit some time ago and been testing W10 since then. I had some random crashes and BSODs which I could not find the reason why as my W7 was running pristine. Last week I had a crash for Visual Basic C++ Runtime Error and...
  7. Buy W10 then install on non-genuine W7

Buy W10 then install on non-genuine W7: My computer runs a non-genuine version of Windows 7 Pro. If I buy a legit new windows 10 Pro Retail disk can I upgrade from my non-genuine W7, or do I need to do a clean install of W10 (and then have to reinstall a whole lot of other software)? 45382
  8. W10 64 Bit: installation fail.

W10 64 Bit: installation fail.: Hi there I am new on this forum because I am looking to solve the problem installing W10 64 bit on my pc desktop. I have read many thread on the net but any solution adopted was good. I 've finally found this thread where one member have found how to install W10 64Bit. In...
  9. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...
  10. Upgrade from W7 64-bit uefi/gpt to w10

Upgrade from W7 64-bit uefi/gpt to w10: Please help! I have an Asus N46VM with w7 home premium 64-bit uefi/gpt. If I accept the offer of free upgrade, will it be in 64-bit and uefi/gpt automatically? 56003