Windows 10: Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're...

Discus and support Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been attempting to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Unfortunately, when it comes time to "Choose what to keep", the choice to keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GaryPenovich, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're...

I have been attempting to upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. Unfortunately, when it comes time to "Choose what to keep", the choice to keep my Apps, Settings, and Files is grayed out, and not selectable. The explanation as to why I can't select that option is at the bottom of the dialog window, "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're installing an edition of windows that's different than the one you're currently using". Screenshot attached
    I do not understand what is meant by "edition". Obviously, it's a different version, as I'm going from 7 to 10, which should be capable of saving apps, settings, etc. If it's referring to Home, Pro, etc, then shouldn't the Media Creation tool create the appropriate edition's media Win10 Pro for the system I'm running the tool on Win7 Ultimate? If it is referring to language, I am running "en-us", which, again, shouldn't the MCT create the appropriate language edition for?
    Is there a workaround to correct this erroneous error message? FYI, it is not the "unsupported directory" error, and my Program Files folder is correct in the Registry. So, I don't need instructions on fixing that. If it were up to me, I'd run Windows 7 on my main system forever, as I prefer it to Windows 10. I have Win10 on my knockaround laptops. But, MS dropping security updates and new apps not supporting Win7 makes this upgrade inevitable. But, I do not want to have to install all of my apps from scratch all over again. That's a non-starter.
    Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're... 5fb9e5e2-d4ce-4303-ae79-59ae071eb3aa?upload=true.jpg

:)

GaryPenovich, Feb 13, 2021
  2. Kari Win User

Your files, settings, apps can't be kept problem...

Changing the display language on a user account using a language pack does not change the Windows system (install) language. If system language is French, the in-place upgrade keeping all software and files must be done using French install media (ISO / USB / DVD). However, the system language can be changed with Sysprep.

1.) You have two options: download Windows 10 ISO in French and use it to upgrade

-- OR --

2.) Install language pack for the language you want to use as upgrade language. Open Command Prompt and run the following command:

%windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot

This forces Windows to perform Windows Setup (OOBE) once again, as if Windows was just installed. Setup detects all installed language packs, asking user to select in which language Windows should be set up, changing system language to the selected one.

In the screenshot an example: I have installed EN-US language pack on my Finnish (Suomi) Windows 10 and run Sysprep; I can now select English and in doing it change the original system (install) language Finnish to English:

Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're... [​IMG]

I can now upgrade using US English install media although the original install language was Finnish. Without Sysprep, the only option had been to use Finnish upgrade media.

Notice that as your original user accounts remain intact, when Windows Setup asks you to create the initial user after the Sysprep you have to use a new user account name. For instance, as my machine already had user account when I sysprepped, after running Sysprep to change system language I must set up a new user because account name is reserved:

Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're... [​IMG]

I use account name Dummy in these cases.

When finally on desktop with this Dummy account, I just sign out, sign in with my original account and delete user Dummy.

Warning Never run Sysprep on an existing Windows installation without backing up your system first!

3. 0pTicaL Win User
    "Application Install install package failure!" while installing 13.9

Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and MSI 6970 Lightning.

I was upgrading from 13.4 after I did a clean uninstall with AMD Catalyst Install Manager.

Doesn't say what installation failed in the install log. Everything in the log says Success but at the very bottom it says "Application Install: install package failure!" but doesn't say what failed to install.

I only install video drivers and no CCC.

The only thing I noticed is AMD Catalyst Install Manager is not listed in my programs list.

0pTicaL, Feb 13, 2021
  4. TBneon Win User

Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're...

Your files, settings, apps can't be kept problem...

I downloaded an ISO for Windows 10 Creator Updates, however when I opened it first time, it didn't give me the first option "Keep my files and programs..." but instead only the last two options although I don't want to clean install, I want to upgrade without losing my files, however it gave me that note of:

"Your files, settings, apps can't be kept because the language is different"

I usually fix my problems on my own since I'm a professional user but it seems that this problem is whole different.

However, when I first opened it first time my system was french and ISO is english, I downloaded a language pack of EN-US but the problem still exists even after changing my system to english from french.

TBneon, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're...

1. Upgrade installation failure: "your files apps and settings can't be kept because you're... - Similar Threads - Upgrade installation failure

2. Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are files kept with upgrade to Windows 11?: After i upgrade to windows 11 will i keep my apps, files and programs or will i need to have a backup plan? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/are-files-kept-with-upgrade-to-windows-11/86595678-3d28-410d-8cc1-03c3f193e9af
  3. Your files apps and setting cannot be kept because you've chosen to install windows 11...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Your files apps and setting cannot be kept because you've chosen to install windows 11...: I want to install Windows 11 but I am getting this error. I just want to install windows 11 without losing all my files. I INSTALLED THE WINDOWS 11 ENGLISH VERSION...
  4. Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept

Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept: I have an error when update from 20H2 to 21H1, I tried to do all solution but don't help. Please fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-error-your-files-apps-and/fe50dcba-14a2-4aa3-9a34-377afc658ef8
  5. Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept

Windows 10 update error: Your files apps and settings can't be kept: I have an error when update from 20H2 to 21H1, I tried to do all solution but don't help. Please fix. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-error-your-files-apps-and/fe50dcba-14a2-4aa3-9a34-377afc658ef8
  6. Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error

in Windows 10 News
    Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error: [ATTACH]Some Windows 10 users might encounter the error message Your files, apps and settings […] This article Your files, apps and settings can’t be kept – Windows 10 in-place Upgrade error first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  7. You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of...: So I thought that I might need a repair upgrade since it was only the one option left when I was trying to fix Windows Security blank screen which still isnt fixed and I installed Avast Antivirus hoping it might get rid of virus trying to hijack the app but when I installed...
  8. "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...

"Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...: I have downloaded Windows 1909 a bunch of times before and never got this message till now. Is there a way to fix this? Currently trying to do a refresh/install of Windows 1909 to my laptop which currently is running Windows Insider 2004, but it's only giving me the option to...
  9. "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Your files, apps, and settings can't be kept because your current version of Windows might...: I have downloaded Windows 1909 a bunch of times before and never got this message till now. Is there a way to fix this? Currently trying to do a refresh/install of Windows 1909 to my laptop which currently is running Windows Insider 2004, but it's only giving me the option to...
  10. Your files, settings, apps can't be kept problem...

Your files, settings, apps can't be kept problem...: I downloaded an ISO for Windows 10 Creator Updates, however when I opened it first time, it didn't give me the first option "Keep my files and programs..." but instead only the last two options although I don't want to clean install, I want to upgrade without losing my files,...