Windows 10: Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro

Discus and support Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; We have multiple company (~10) computers that were bought and brought into use with Windows 10 Home. I have been upgrading them to Windows 10 Pro (to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ss_btp, Jul 9, 2019.

1. ss_btp Win User

Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro

We have multiple company (~10) computers that were bought and brought into use with Windows 10 Home. I have been upgrading them to Windows 10 Pro (to allow them to be joined to the Azure AD) via the windows store as it appeared to be the cheapest solution that we could be confident was also legitimate. I've used the same company account to do the upgrades to avoid setting up a new account with new payment details for each of the upgrade. This has resulted in the computers being tied to the one account, which is not really wanted. Also, because the account had to be a "personal one" as it was Windows 10 Home this is less desirable. If I remove the computers from the account, will that remove the license or is the license tied to the hardware? Thanks!

:)

ss_btp, Jul 9, 2019
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Jul 9, 2019
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Jul 9, 2019
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrade license ownership - Windows 10 Home to Pro - Similar Threads - Upgrade license ownership

2. Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license: Hello!I just bought an HP laptop with preinstalled "Windows 10 Home", but I need "Windows 10 Pro" because of Hyper-V. HP claims that there are no restrictions for upgrading OS. So, I made a factory reset and wiped the TPM. Then I performed a clean with drive formatting...
  3. Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license: Hello!I just bought an HP laptop with preinstalled "Windows 10 Home", but I need "Windows 10 Pro" because of Hyper-V. HP claims that there are no restrictions for upgrading OS. So, I made a factory reset and wiped the TPM. Then I performed a clean with drive formatting...
  4. Cannot upgrade "Windows 10 Home" license to "Windows 10 Pro" license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade Win11 Home to Pro with Win10 Pro license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win11 Home to Pro with Win10 Pro license: I purchased a PC with Win11 Home on it.I have on my Microsoft account a Win10 Pro license from my old PC that is not being used.Can I use that Win10 Pro license to upgrade my new Win11 Home to Pro?...
  6. license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro

license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro: hi i would like to upgrade from window 10 home to window 10 pro. then buy license part number FQC-08929 but can't upgrade as microsoft said it is OEM license. then supplier suggest another license part number FQC-09131. 1. FQC-09131 is this license valid for upgrade...
  7. Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability

Windows 10 Home -> Pro Upgrade License Transferability: Hello, I purchased an upgrade license from Home to Pro on my laptop. I recently purchased a new laptop that also came with Windows Home. Am I able to transfer the upgrade license from previous laptop to this new laptop? Thank you in advance for your help!...
  8. Upgrading Windows 10 Home DEMO to Windows 10 Pro Licensed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home DEMO to Windows 10 Pro Licensed: I was running a demo non-activated version of Windows 10 Home on a home-built PC. I recently purchased a Windows 10 Pro license key. I am unable to upgrade using the new key. When I go to Activation>Change Product Key and enter the new key I get an error that the code did...
  9. Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?

Windows 10 Home to Pro OEM license upgrade?: Hello there, I want to upgrade my HP laptop from Windows 10 Home OEM license to Pro using retail key but i always get the error windows is not activated even though it is a genuine product key from Microsoft. Thanks in advance for any help....
  10. Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key)

Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key): I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Home, which came installed on my HP Omen 15 But, return this error: The last product key (ID: xxxx) you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows (0x803FA067) Does this mean that the key that I previously bought and used on another...