Windows 10: Upgrade of non-Pro 8.1 from 10 Pro ISO activated on the same hw

Discus and support Upgrade of non-Pro 8.1 from 10 Pro ISO activated on the same hw in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have this riddle to solve: I bought my computer with 7 Pro pre-installed and OEM-activated. I wiped that and clean-installed 8.1 I bought on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MJS, Aug 5, 2015.

1. MJS
    MJS Win User

Upgrade of non-Pro 8.1 from 10 Pro ISO activated on the same hw

I have this riddle to solve: I bought my computer with 7 Pro pre-installed and OEM-activated. I wiped that and clean-installed 8.1 I bought on the side—not Pro, as I wrongly assumed I wouldn’t really need it. Now, however, I’d like to get to 10 Pro on my machine, which is still validly licensed to run Win 7 Pro, so I figured I would re-install 7 Pro on some other disk and upgrade that to Win 10 Pro and have it activate (= register with Microsoft for my machine).

Then I’d go back to my non-Pro 8.1 disk and try to install 10 Pro over it, using DVD from ISO, choosing upgrade. Any educated guess what this would do and whether these steps could possibly go through as intended?

:)

2. Windows 10 Automatic Activation

I am upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro genuine to Windows 10 Pro using Windows 10 upgrade ISO and activated it automatically. Yesterday I am installed Windows 10 Pro freshy in my same laptop. But I can't activate it. There is a message " This product key was blocked
    ". Please help my to do this. Can I activate it again upgrading from a genuine Windows 7 or 8.1?

Abishekh Kc, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Reinstalled Windows 10 - lost Pro upgrade from 8.1 Pro Pack

I purchased a Windows 8.1 Pro Pack upgrade in 2014 from Amazon to upgrade my Windows 8.1 Home machine to Windows Pro. I changed the key and the OS was upgrade from 8.1 Home to 8.1 Pro without a problem. I then upgraded to Windows 10 last year and it successfully
    upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Due to some driver issues, I was forced to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch on my PC, which I did from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft. I didn't enter a product key and it was automatically activated. The problem is that I no longer have Windows 10 Pro
    but Windows 10 Home. I tried entering in my Windows 8.1 Pro key from my Amazon software library, and it says that it is the wrong version.

According to the Windows 10 upgrade matrix, a Windows 8.1 Pro machine can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. How do I get this to work? I don't want to reinstall Windows 8.1 on my machine. Wasn't the license upgraded behind the scenes?

northerntao, Aug 5, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

If you install your 7 pro and is activated, then upgrade to 10 pro and are activated again. after that activation you can change your hard drive and use a windows 10 pro disk or a 10 pro usb flash stick and install windows 10 pro . So that 8 home you have will be wipe off and only left with 10 pro, is that what you want ?

sn00ker, Aug 5, 2015
  5. MJS
    MJS Win User
    Nope, I want to upgrade that non-Pro 8.1 into 10 Pro. *Wink
    I mean, if you install from a DVD, there is still a generic upgrade option in the process—as the first option, whereas “advanced”, clean installation is the second option.
    I want to use a Windows 10 Pro DVD—on a computer hw on which an upgrade to W10Pro would have already succeeded—to then upgrade a non-Pro 8.1 (the one I’m really using now), so that I don’t have to re-install everything.
    I understand that—as Plan B—there would be some user-state migration tool (or what’s its name), but I’d obviously prefer an in-place upgrade.

6. sn00ker Win User
    I believe I get it now . You want to activate a pc with windows 10 pro and once its been activated go back with a different hard drive which has windows 8 home and take a windows 10 pro disk and upgrade the 8 home to 10 pro from the 10 pro disk, yes ?

sn00ker, Aug 5, 2015
  7. MJS,

Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium can only be updated to Windows 10 Home. If you have a 32-bit version of Windows 7 it can only be updated to a 32-bit version, and a 64-bit version of Windows 7 can only be updated to a 64-bit version.

Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate can only be updated to Windows 10 Professional.

Windows 8.1 can only be updated to Windows 10 Home.

Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro for Students can only be updated to Windows 10 Pro.

MISTERSTAN48, Aug 6, 2015
  8. sn00ker Win User

@MISTERSTAN48 yes, I know that and thank you for posting that but what I believe MJS wants to perform is totally different and interesting to know the answer . You see Misterstan48 once anyone upgrade to windows 10 and is activated Microsoft record your computer id number . Afterwards one can perform clean installation or what ever and Microsoft will activate what it has recorded with that system . So what MJS is going to do is activate windows 10 pro and swap the hard drive which he can and try to upgrade his windows 8 home edition with a windows 10 pro disk into the system that has already been recorded with windows 10 pro . That is if I understood him correctly ... Hey Brink if by chance your reading this . What do you think can he do such ?

sn00ker, Aug 6, 2015
  9. MJS
    MJS Win User
    Yes, exactly. That’s what I’m going to try as my seemingly best available option.

10. Kyhi Win User
    you have to do two upgrades (been there and done that)

If you want to upgrade 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Pro, not going to happen..

if you want to upgrade 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Home, that works..

Now you can upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
    (thus recalling the prior Windows 10 Pro activation) that works..

11. MJS
    MJS Win User
    Hmm. Interesting. Thanks!

So, basically, you’re saying that Pro DVD is going to refuse to upgrade an 8.1 Home installation?
    And how do you do the other step, given that the “upgradees” are no longer getting any product keys?
    Do you install from Pro DVD over the Windows 10 Home installation, then?

12. sn00ker Win User
    No , I believe he's saying what you want to do

Now you can upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
    (thus recalling the prior Windows 10 Pro activation) that works..

sn00ker, Aug 7, 2015
  13. MJS
    MJS Win User

I may be getting it…! There’s an option to upgrade Windows, and it takes one to a “hidden” page in the Store, where it would recall the computer as already activated for Pro. Is that it? I’ve just read about this process someplace, have not been there myself.

14. Kyhi Win User
    I assume you want to keep all you programs an files you have within windows 8.1 home OS..

Thus the reason you want to upgrade in the first place...

Your PC has already recorded a windows 10 pro activation - via insider preview..

so the only other reason to upgrade 8.1 home to 10 home - is to get a Home activation recorded..

you can test the Windows 10 Pro ISO to upgrade windows 8.1 home - but not designed to upgrade in that manner..

Thema:

1. Upgrade of non-Pro 8.1 from 10 Pro ISO activated on the same hw - Similar Threads - Upgrade non Pro

2. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  4. Activate Windows 10 pro previously upgraded from Windows 7 then 8 then 10 pro WITHOUT EVER...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activate Windows 10 pro previously upgraded from Windows 7 then 8 then 10 pro WITHOUT EVER...: How do I activate windows 10 pro when I'm assuming that prior to th0e upgrade from 7 ...8.. then 10 the laptop hadn't been activated. I've had this for awhile die to the fact it pwas my Granny and I just can't part with it yet. Not to mention it's actually working ok..I just...
  5. Activate Windows 10 pro previously upgraded from Windows 7 then 8 then 10 pro WITHOUT EVER...

Activate Windows 10 pro previously upgraded from Windows 7 then 8 then 10 pro WITHOUT EVER...: How do I activate windows 10 pro when I'm assuming that prior to th0e upgrade from 7 ...8.. then 10 the laptop hadn't been activated. I've had this for awhile die to the fact it pwas my Granny and I just can't part with it yet. Not to mention it's actually working ok..I just...
  6. Activate Windows 10 pro previously upgraded from Windows 7 then 8 then 10 pro WITHOUT EVER...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  7. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  8. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  9. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

10. Window's 10 Pro N activation can be possible from windows 8 Pro with same activation key...

Window's 10 Pro N activation can be possible from windows 8 Pro with same activation key...: Hi, My self Nazeer, i have official windows 8 activation key. Since i have notified with windows 10 upgrade notification several times, recently i changed my pc to it. While upgrading i have noted my previous windows activation key, later i got to know that with my old...