Windows 10: Upgrade old laptop to Win10

Discus and support Upgrade old laptop to Win10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an older laptop (Dell L501X) that was originally Win 7 Home (the Win7 serial number is still on it) that was upgraded to Win10 during the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HerrSlime, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Upgrade old laptop to Win10

I have an older laptop (Dell L501X) that was originally Win 7 Home (the Win7 serial number is still on it) that was upgraded to Win10 during the free upgrade period (or some such). That was about 4 years ago.

The hard drive crashed and I am getting a new drive and want to get it back to where it was (legally) without having to buy anything and I don't want to install another OS like Linux etc.

What is available to me now? Can I still upgrade for free if I reinstall Win7? Are the Win7 updates still available or do I even need them?

Any help or links appreciated.

Thanks

submitted by /u/HerrSlime
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HerrSlime, Sep 17, 2020
  2. jaypels Win User

Reformat upgraded win10 laptop

Is there a way to know what my license number is? Laptop is not with me at the moment so I could not check it. I believe it still has the sticker where the license is printed at. Does it retain the old license or a new one is made when I upgraded to Win10?

Second question, what would be the best step in reformatting the laptop? Is there an option in Win10 where it would reformat and come back immediately to Win10?

jaypels, Sep 17, 2020
  3. user33331 Win User
    Win10: windows update stuck at never ending loop ?

When in win10:
    • Update&security -> Windows update -> Finding update... .... .... ....
    Planning to download the latest Win10.ISO (vers.1803) and manually update:
    - Then wait that my ordered new SSD arrives and clone the old HDD to it.

user33331, Sep 17, 2020
  4. wee_ones Win User

Upgrade old laptop to Win10

Win10 Anniversary upgrade

Hello - I'm trying to upgrade to the Win10 Anniversary on a client's laptop. The laptop previously had Symantec Endpoint Protection, but it was removed before the free upgrade was performed from win7 home edition. The copy of SEP was not compatible with
    the upgrade to Win10, but it was supposedly successfully removed.

Now the Anniversary upgrade stops and reports that it can't continue due to incompatibility with SEP. I've checked the startup, there's no SEP listed, there's no active SEP components listed under the task manager, and I'm unable to manually remove registry
    keys through the regedit program.

So: would it be possible to:

Roll back to the previous win edition, reinstall SEP, then remove SEP, and upgrade to Win10 again?

Manually edit the registry (assuming that I can find the offending key(s)) so the installation can complete?

I don't have access to the latest copy of clean wipe, so I'm not sure that would help.

Please provide any suggestions and thanks in advance

Bill

wee_ones, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade old laptop to Win10

1. Upgrade old laptop to Win10 - Similar Threads - Upgrade old laptop

2. Upgrading old Windows computer to Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading old Windows computer to Win10: When I thought my ASUS laptop began having problem after problem, I purchased a new Dell laptop on QVC. Then my brother-in-law repaired my ASUS so I stuck with it totally forgetting about the Dell. Crazy, I know. Then a month ago the ASUS finally died, and I dug out the QVC...
  3. Upgrading old Windows computer to Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading old Windows computer to Win10: When I thought my ASUS laptop began having problem after problem, I purchased a new Dell laptop on QVC. Then my brother-in-law repaired my ASUS so I stuck with it totally forgetting about the Dell. Crazy, I know. Then a month ago the ASUS finally died, and I dug out the QVC...
  4. No audio device installed, old laptop upgrade to win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No audio device installed, old laptop upgrade to win10: Hi all, I'm new here, I will try to be brief. FYI English is not my first language. I have Asus K73SV (I believe from 2011) and recently I tried to "upgrade " it to work better. My laptop has never been formatted, I only used recovered as I feared I will loose my win 7...
  5. Old Win10 Laptop and Ultra wide Monitors

Old Win10 Laptop and Ultra wide Monitors: I have a i7-5500U laptop with 6 GB ram with onboard video HD Graphics 5500 Windows 10 I recently added a ultra wide screen to my computer and want to add another. The first problem is that if my computer shuts down after hours when I try to reboot or wake it I only get a...
  6. How to upgrade from very old to old Win10 version (not NOT newest)?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to upgrade from very old to old Win10 version (not NOT newest)?: Assume I have a notebook with Win10 v1803. Now I would like to upgrade this Win10 to ONLY (!) Win10 v1903 but NOT the newest v1909. Is this possible? How can I avoid beeing upgraded to newest v1909? Peter 145113
  7. Win10 upgrade on old PC

Win10 upgrade on old PC: Okay, here's one out of left field for you guys. I have an Intel Pentium 4 Northwood sl6wk (Yes I am aware that Jesus owned a computer running the same) It meets all the Win10 requirements with flying colors though and is a very fast CPU even by today's standards. I...
  8. Reformat upgraded win10 laptop

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reformat upgraded win10 laptop: Good day! I have a laptop that started with Windows 8. Then I upgraded to 8.1 then to 10 after the update was offered. However, I hate the bloatware included with the laptop for it takes quite some time for the laptop to be fully functional (normal Asus bloatware + VPN +...
  9. Upgrading an extremely old laptop (Samsung X10) from XP to win10

Upgrading an extremely old laptop (Samsung X10) from XP to win10: I'm planning to give away to local charity my old trusty Samsung X10 Laptop installed w/ win XP. Knowing that it's completely out-dated and lacks any support whatsoever, I fear that it might produce more trouble than the potential benefit. As such, I'm thinking of a clean...
  10. Installing Win10 on an old Compaq laptop

Installing Win10 on an old Compaq laptop: As an experiment, I'm trying to install Win10 on an old Compaq laptop that originally ran XP, but over the years, I have upgraded it to Vista, and then to Win7, and it still works OK. It won't boot from USB so I made a DVD of Win10 and while it starts to boot from that,...