Windows 10: Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop?

Discus and support Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I currently use a windows 10 pro dell xps 15 9550 laptop. This is my main laptop. I just did a windows 7 to windows 10 update on an old dell desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by paulyjustin, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop?

I currently use a windows 10 pro dell xps 15 9550 laptop. This is my main laptop. I just did a windows 7 to windows 10 update on an old dell desktop that i have not used in a long time. Its just sitting there so i figure i update it anyways if i use it in the future.

A family member has an old laptop that they rarely use or use sometimes. Its also a dell laptop, its one of those dell inspiron from a long time ago. It is not only slow... but charger doesn't even charge it well... battery is bad... its extremely slow and that is putting it lightly...

Should i upgrade that laptop from windows 7 to windows 10? They do have important files there and thus i don't want to ask them to back up it up as it would take them some time. But then i read if you don't update it soon to windows 10, you cannot do this anymore. But they do seem to use the laptop a few times like say print or put some pictures there etc. Now i read if you don't update to windows 10, you can no longer do that. So would you suggest i do that to that laptop? I will say that laptop is not only slow... but it might even have viruses etc. They no longer use that laptop and use a mac. But that laptop they do put things there etc.

Has anyone did this windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade and then it wiped everything out? I read always do backup of files there in case.

The thing is when i did the windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade on my old dell desktop, i wanted nothing installed and did that. But for this laptop, well they still use it a few times. But if they don't update it before the date, would that mean their windows 7 laptop computer would be useless since no more updates?

:)

paulyjustin, Oct 9, 2019

2. My laptop become dead slow after Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7

My laptop become dead slow after Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7.

Please suggest me further to resolve this issue.

VasuKoneru, Oct 9, 2019
  3. Windows 7 Lover's Club: For Those Who Like Windows 7 As Opposed To Windows 8

Description:
    • For anyone who likes Windows 7 as opposed to Windows 8 and wants to keep Windows 7 and not upgrade to Windows 8.
    • Also for anyone who does not hate Windows 8 but refuses to upgrade because Windows 7 is perfect.
    Requirements:
    • Be human. Male or female will suffice.
    • Love or Like Windows 7 much more than Windows 8.
    To Join:
    • Make a post.
    Benefits:
    • You will find true love one day.
    • You have have a chance to get rich one day.
    • You will have a chance for your dreams to come true one day.

vawrvawerawe, Oct 9, 2019
  4. Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop?

Can't upgrade laptop to Windows 10

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried Windows Defender and discovered it was not turned on and when I tried to turn it on it would quickly turn itself off again. I used another anti-virus program to check out the laptop but it found no problem. Obviously this laptop has some problems.

My next step is to put the original drive back into the machine and try the Windows 10 upgrade from that and if that also fails do a restore of this laptop to the original Windows 7.

alkaufmann, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop?

1. Upgrade Old Slow Windows 7 Laptop? - Similar Threads - Upgrade Old Slow

2. I upgraded my old Windows 7 laptop with a new SSD and this showed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I upgraded my old Windows 7 laptop with a new SSD and this showed up: Hi, I bought online a 1TB WD Blue SATA SSD for my windows 7 laptop and after I installed the SSD, it showed me this:I opened BIOS and tried to fix the boot priority order according to a youtube video. As you can see, the SSD is detected by the laptopBut when I used my old HDD...
  3. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  4. An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An old upgrade from Win 7 to 10: I have a desktop PC running Win 7 Pro. When a free upgrade to Win 10 was available years ago I tried to upgrade but for some reason, which I do not remember now, I reverted to Win 7 Pro. I am still running it.Now, when I upgraded Win 10 to 11 on my laptop, I would also like...
  5. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?: Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could...
  6. Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can an old Windows Vista laptop be upgraded to Windows 7 with a clean install?: Hi. I had an old Packard Bell Hera-C laptop sitting at the bottom of my wardrobe unused for nearly 13 years, but am in a situation where I need to use the built-in webcam and microphone, which I don't have on my PC. Rather than buy a new laptop, I was wondering if I could...
  7. Year-old laptop suddenly slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Year-old laptop suddenly slow: I have an Asus TUF fx505 gaming laptop with Windows 10. It's run games like Monster Hunter and Rainbow Six Siege fine since I got it a year ago, until last Thursday. I don't know how much of this is relevant, but I'll give you the full story anyways: I downloaded Rocket...
  8. Upgrade old laptop to Win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade old laptop to Win10: I have an older laptop (Dell L501X) that was originally Win 7 Home (the Win7 serial number is still on it) that was upgraded to Win10 during the free upgrade period (or some such). That was about 4 years ago. The hard drive crashed and I am getting a new drive and want to...
  9. Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading an Old Windows 7 Desktop?: Hey all got a question. I have an old dell xps 8100 desktop that i bought around 2010 or so. I haven't used it in a while. I got it from dell.com. When i check the settings i5 750 processor at 2.67ghz 4gb ram 500gb hard drive Im pretty certain the hard...
  10. Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from windows 7... and all old programs ?: Just a question... i upgrade my windows ultimate and select to mantain file, documents, settings etc.. Now when i start windows 10 all my documents are present but no programs before installed, all are under windows.old / program.... So with this "upgrade" i must reinstall...