Windows 10: Upgrade panic

Discus and support Upgrade panic in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 today and got nothing but problems. The new OS couldn't find my wireless printer, Internet connectivity slowed to a crawl... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DaveTheRave, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Upgrade panic

I upgraded to 10 from 8.1 today and got nothing but problems. The new OS couldn't find my wireless printer, Internet connectivity slowed to a crawl (while my other devices still hummed along at top speed), it couldn't install a couple of important programs (not compatible with 10, it said), and ... I panicked. I reverted back to 8.1 in less than an hour because I HAD to use that printer for scanning immediately.

Should I wait until Windows gets more bugs out of 10? Try again when I have enough time to slog through all the adjustments and conflicts? I mean, I couldn't even Google-search solutions because It took10 minutes (seriously) to load a single web page. Did it take you guys a long time to sort through the conflicts and bugs?

Dell XPS27
    Back to Windows 8.1

:)

DaveTheRave, Nov 25, 2015

2. Windows 10 activation (If upgrading)

Thank you so much, now I can upgrade my new windows 10 without panicing. Upgrade panic :)

Abdul HadiAhmed, Nov 25, 2015
  3. MICROSOFT HAS MADE GRAVE ERROR IGNORING NEWBIES

Youtube is loaded with videos for those who want to 'force' the upgrade. Many of the seniors I deal with need that step by step once the notification is received help. Forcing the upgrade will just panic them more.

golddust5364, Nov 25, 2015
  4. Upgrade panic

No when I upgraded I was one of the lucky ones.
    I had backed up all my drivers before hand and it went start in to Wi-Fi and my Wi-Fi printer.
    When it told you it could not install a couple of important programs what ones was it.

hTconeM9user, Nov 25, 2015
  5. me75006 Win User
    Sometimes, one will need to reinstall either Drivers, and or device Software. I've had to do it enough times that it is one aspect I keep on the troubleshooting list.

me75006, Nov 25, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    First and foremost, now that you are back to Win 8.1, make sure your Windows Update is set at MANUAL.
    Whenever there are updates available, look over the list. Make sure you won't reinstall Windows 10 until you are ready to do so.
    If you set it at Automatic, Windows 10 will get downloaded to your computer again without your consent.

As to when you should take a 2nd plunge, it's really up to you.
    If this computer is essential for work, to make a living, I would think hard before reinstalling Windows 10 again.
    Free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is good till July 29th, 2016.
    You have lots of time to wait-and-see.
    Don't do it because others are doing it.

davidhk, Nov 25, 2015
  7. edobson Win User
    It isn't really a case of Microsoft ironing out bugs with Windows 10. If you'd have taken a little time to research which of your important programs were actually compatibile with Windows 10 as well as which drivers you would have needed to update, you wouldn't have had any of these problems or you could have held off upgrading.

edobson, Nov 25, 2015
  8. Upgrade panic

I think that's good advice, davidhk. I'll wait a bit, although I'd like to upgrade eventually. And yes, I always have updates require my permission.

9. During the update, it gave me quick popups that cited 3 programs as not compatible with Ten. The only one I focused on was Final Draft, and because I write screenplays, I need that to work. That's one reason a reverted back to 8.1. The main reason was because of the connectivity issues with my printer and wireless. I'm sure I can resolve the connectivity issues, but Final Draft is a pricey program. I'll do more research to see if I can find a workaround before I upgrade again.

10. davidhk Win User
    You know. If you are really itching to try out Win 10, why not either do a dual boot, or install a virtual machine and put Win 10 into it.
    That way, worse comes to worst, you can just delete it and your Win 8.1 will be there and unaffected at all.

davidhk, Nov 25, 2015
  11. I did Google-search for known issues and problems with Ten for a few weeks before finally deciding to upgrade, and I read about many such issues and problems, but I didn't see anything that said Final Draft was not compatible, nor did I see anything about wireless connections slowing to worse-than-dialup speed. I did see bits about wireless printers needing some tweaking, and I figured I could resolve that, but I suddenly had a need to use the printer-PC interface immediately, so I reverted to 8.1. I will upgrade to Ten again in the near future, after (as you say) I do "a little research."

12. edobson Win User
    Ah well, that's fair enough then. Your original post didn't mention that you'd done any research prior so I assumed that you didn't, apologies.

I'm not too sure about Final Draft or wireless printers, but your slow internet connection could potentially be down to just wireless drivers needing an update, you could bear that in mind before attempting an upgrade again.

edobson, Nov 25, 2015
  13. Atomic77 Win User

Upgrade panic

I wasn't going to do it but I upgraded to 10 on the 5th of November. I am pretty lucky I have not had any major issues.

Atomic77, Nov 26, 2015
  14. groze Win User
    That should of worked.

However, windows 10 windows update maybe conflicting with dell driver updates. Unfortunately , I don't remember the name of the dell driver update programs. I don't have it installed. What you need to do, is uninstall the dell driver update program. Reboot. Then start the windows 10 upgrade but this time choose download updates during installation using the media creation tool. It takes a little longer to install but you should have all the drivers installed. One additional tip, leave the printer plugged in during the install & after the windows 10 installation ends. It will update the drivers if needed after installation but can take up to an hour. I found out that for some Dell systems it is better to use windows update then the dell driver update program. I am basing this on my dell system.

You can also try a clean install but you would need to backup data that you want to keep. If you do a clean install still leave the printer plugged in. When windows 10 loads up, give it about an hour to downloaded the drivers & other updates. Sometimes you can check for update to make it go faster but I haven't been able to confirm that.

groze, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade panic

1. Upgrade panic - Similar Threads - Upgrade panic

2. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10: My laptop has a broken screen and i use HDMI to connect it to TV screen. i upgraded to windows 10 and now i cant switch screens again, tried Win + P and it doesnt work, i think im in middle of upgrade because i can barely see little blue window on top of my screen and it...
  3. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10: My laptop has a broken screen and i use HDMI to connect it to TV screen. i upgraded to windows 10 and now i cant switch screens again, tried Win + P and it doesnt work, i think im in middle of upgrade because i can barely see little blue window on top of my screen and it...
  4. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10

Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10: I have a ZT Systems i7 desktop running Windows 8.1 that performs beautifully - better than my i7 Windows 10 Dell laptop. However, I need to switch it to Windows 10. I missed the free upgrade opportunity, so I guess I need to buy a Windows 10 Key. I downloaded the ISO from...
  6. Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10: I have a ZT Systems i7 desktop running Windows 8.1 that performs beautifully - better than my i7 Windows 10 Dell laptop. However, I need to switch it to Windows 10. I missed the free upgrade opportunity, so I guess I need to buy a Windows 10 Key. I downloaded the ISO from...
  7. Upgrade Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?: There are multiple errors that prevent upgrade to Windows 11.It seems many users are stuck with various problems such as 0x80070643 etc.Looking through the communities posts is like watching people play the game Myst with clues that just lead to other problems.Have yet to...
  9. why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?

why does Microsoft offer windows 11 upgrade knowing of errors?: There are multiple errors that prevent upgrade to Windows 11.It seems many users are stuck with various problems such as 0x80070643 etc.Looking through the communities posts is like watching people play the game Myst with clues that just lead to other problems.Have yet to...
  10. I purchased a Windows 8.1 license and was offered a free upgrade to windows 10 pro and now...

I purchased a Windows 8.1 license and was offered a free upgrade to windows 10 pro and now...: I recently upgraded my processor and motherboard so I decided to do a fresh install of windows and the product key that I pulled from the old system does not activate my copy of windows....