Windows 10: Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?

Discus and support Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two older PC's running Win 7 Pro (32 & 64 bit). We want to add a number of in the box(s) upgrades...like Motherboard...Graphic cards...SSD's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by trinaz, Aug 1, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?

I have two older PC's running Win 7 Pro (32 & 64 bit). We want to add a number of in the box(s) upgrades...like Motherboard...Graphic cards...SSD's etc. My question is does it matter if we do all this 1st before Win 10 upgrade...or can I change the 2 boxes after the 10 upgrade ?

I think I have read somewhere that for Windows...the serial #/product registration is somehow contained on the motherboards ? If this is correct...will Win 10 install OK on the old qualify systems before I update components...but then will I have issues with validating/using 10 after the component upgrades ?

Thanks....TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Aug 1, 2015

2. Win 10 Program Compatibility Pre-Check

I read prior post suggested. It does not clearly answer the question. Can I check my applications and hardware for compatibility BEFORE I start Win 10 installation? I was able to run a check when upgrading another PC from Win XP to Win 7

daVIDeo1968, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Clean re-install windows 10 from 32-bit to >> 64-bit

The free upgrade to Windows 10 is like for like from prior Win 7/8.1 architecture. You're prior architecture was likely 32 bit. I too had upgraded with the 32 bit architecture, intending to re-installing Windows 10 64 bit; however, I have been having
    problems getting my PC to boot from the USB (or DVD) to do a clean install.

Byte_Geezer, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?

I'd change all the hardware and then install Win 7 on all of them. Confirm activation. If these are OEM versions of Win 7, you may or may not have activation issues.

Then probably make images of all of the installations so you can easily fall back to Win 7 if the upgrade to 10 goes badly.

Then upgrade install from 7 to 10 on the new hardware. Confirm activation.

You have to upgrade from a valid and activated 7 or 8 install.

I don't see any advantage to changing to Win 10 before doing the hardware upgrades. That might lead to some unwanted surprises when you later change to the new hardware. If there are going to be activation issues with new hardware, I'd rather find out about that on Win 7 before going to the trouble of the 10 upgrade.

ignatzatsonic, Aug 1, 2015
  5. trinaz Win User
    Thanks....already have current images of both Win 7Pros via Acronis......will go with the MB/Graphics changes while still in 7. Both are self built and full valid licensed Win 7 Pro PC's and registered with MS. Seems to me years ago I had an issue with changing the MB and had to get in touch with windows support in order to "re-genuinize" my license on that PC

Thanks...TiminAz

trinaz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ?

1. Upgrade PC's prior to Win 10 install ? - Similar Threads - Upgrade PC's prior

2. upgrade win 7 pc to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade win 7 pc to win 10: hey.this is my desctop pc for my work place.i want to upgrade win 7 to win 10.i use import software about my work place.if i upgrade with windows update assistant my software maybe removed/?//?...
  3. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued

Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 prior to support being discontinued: I was FORCED to have to upgrade to Windows 10 after finding out that support will stop as of January 2020 for Windows 7. After reviewing the entire Windows 10 features I find I was extremely disappointed with access and the extreme lack of user friendly tools. 1 big issue I...
  4. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  5. OK to install Win 10 drivers in Win 7 system prior to upgrade?

OK to install Win 10 drivers in Win 7 system prior to upgrade?: So far my attempts to upgrade a Win 7 Pro 64 system have not been successful. My system is built around an ASUS P9X79PRO motherboard and ASUS has separate driver sections for Win 7 and Win 10. Is it Ok to install the Win 10 driver versions prior to doing another upgrade...
  6. Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home

Install Win 7 Pro on Win 8.1 PC already upgraded to Win 10 Home: Hello Guys, On my laptop, I had Windows 8.1 Base/ Home pre installed. Then I updated the laptop to Windows 10 Home successfully. If I can now somehow buy a Windows 7 Pro license and install W7 Pro on this laptop and then upgrade it to W10. Will it then be a W10 Pro...
  7. Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade

Clean Win 10 Install on Win 7 PC Activated, with No Previous Upgrade: My brother has an older Dell Latitude E6400 laptop that came with Windows 7 Pro. It had not been upgraded to Windows 10. He bought a new SSD drive for the laptop. I thought I would try an experiment and see if a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD drive would...
  8. Reinstalling Windows 10 from a Prior Upgrade

Reinstalling Windows 10 from a Prior Upgrade: I upgraded my Windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 in August using the ISO Media file. Due to a computer crash I had to reinstall Windows 8 from the original Windows 8 disk. I ran the update to install all Windows 8 updates so that the computer would be ready for Windows 10. I...
  9. Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS?

Wiping my PC can I Install windows 10 without Prior Win OS?: Hello Everyone, Once or twice a year I wipe my whole PC and it is time to do another one. I usually install a full version of XP then upgrade to win 8.1. Do I need to still do that or can I just pop in Windows 10 Bootable disc to start the re installation process? If that...
  10. Sysprep with upgraded Win 10 install

in Windows 10 Support
    Sysprep with upgraded Win 10 install: I have a laptop that has seen better days. The screen has finally stopped functioning, and the second hard drive has now failed. I wish to take the new SSD system drive to put into the new laptop I have purchased, The OS on the SSD is Win 10 which has been upgraded from...