Windows 10: Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system

Discus and support Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Having this system Ryzen 2600X@3.8Ghz, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS, 2x16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Dual-X w Boost 3GB, Kfa2 GTX... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by davide445, Jun 12, 2019.

1. davide445 Win User

Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system

Having this system

Ryzen 2600X@3.8Ghz, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS, 2x16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, Sapphire Radeon HD7950 Dual-X w Boost 3GB, Kfa2 GTX 1070 EX 8GB, Crucial MX300 275GB (Windows 10Pro), Crucial MX500 500GB (Kubuntu 18.04 LTS), TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 3TB, Fractal Design Meshify C, Corsair TXM 750W 80+ Gold, LG 29" 29wk500-p ultrawide 2560x1080

with two SSD and a shared HDD, the primary with Win10 and grub2 and the second SSD with Kubuntu.
    The first one is almost full, and wanting to upgrade the boot SSD in my ignorance I didn't know what can create problems with grub2. Here my current options

• New 1TB NVMe, clone there the primary SSD using Paragon Drive Copy Pro, hoping all is working the same as before
    • New 256GB NVMe + new 1TB SATA SSD, clone primary SSD on the new bigger SATA, use StoreMI (cost free from AMD) and let him make his work in shifting most used data on the faster NVMe.
    Can't make my mind on what solution can be the safest, since I didn't want to re-install anything, due the fact as beginner cost me days in trial and error before being able to achieve current status.

:)

davide445, Jun 12, 2019

2. dual boot win 10

I had upgraded my old 32 bit win 10 to a 64 bit win 10 system and while I was transferring my files, I dual booted from the original 32 bit Win 10 system. Now that everything is running smoothly, I would like to remove the old 32 bit partition and included
    the space in my new 64 bit system. However, when I go into the disk management, it is listing the old 32 bit system as 'system,active,primary' partition and is listing my new 64 bit system as (boot, pagefile, crash dump, primary partiton). I am afraid to make
    this partition as active in case I lose all my files. Any suggestion of how to get rid of the 32 bit partition and make the 64 bit system bootable?

Thanks

Key Buster

KeyBusters, Jun 12, 2019
  3. adj592 Win User
    No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)

I thought I'd just post a little guide.

This is the only thing that worked on my ASUS N55SF dual boot system: Win7 on HDD (MBR) and Win10 on SSD (GPT).

Step 1
    Assuming that you have already Win7 installed on your primary disk, install Win10 on your secondary disk.

Step 2
    When install is done, enter your BIOS and go to the Boot section. There you should see "Windows Boot Manager" as your default boot option. Change it so that your primary disk (where you have Win7 installed) becomes your default boot option (it should be something like "P0:" followed by your disk model number, mine is "P0: ST9750423AS"). Save and restart.

Step 3
    Now Win7 should start automatically (no boot manager showing up). Enter Win7, open an elevated command prompt and run
    bcdboot X:\windows
    where X is the Win10 system partition as seen from Win7, typically E, F, G or H.

Step 4
    Restart. You should now see the Windows Boot Manager (probably the Windows 10 GUI boot manager). Select Windows 10, install your audio drivers (if you already have, I suggest you uninstall them and restart before doing this), restart and you're done.

adj592, Jun 12, 2019
  4. Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system

Dual boot problem

Hi all.

I have an older PC that used to run XP. I upgraded it to Win 7 and have now upgraded to Win 10. I now want to make it a dual boot Win 10 system, using the second drive as a disaster recovery backup.

When I set up the dual boot Win XP / Win 7, the system put system boot files on the XP disk. Now I can't boot into Win 10 with that disk off line, nor can I format the XP disk to install Win 10 as it has running system files on it.

I have created a recovery USB flash drive but even after setting the boot devices in BIOS to boot from USB, it will not boot from the recovery disk. My next step is to create a recovery CD to see if that will work.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Steve

Photoman9876, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system

1. Upgrade primary disk on dual boot system - Similar Threads - Upgrade primary disk

2. Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual monitors: keeping the primary display primary: I have a Lenovo i7 Desktop PC with an Intel HD Graphics 4600 PCI card with 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA outputs. One DP output is connected to my primary monitor, a 1080p Lenovo monitor. The other DP output is connected to my 55" Samsung HDTV, also 1080p, via a DisplayPort to...
  3. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  4. Macrium and dual boot system.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium and dual boot system.: Have been using Macrium for some time without problems, to backup Windows. Now I would like to know if it will backup a dual boot system, specifically Windows 1909 and Ubuntu 20.04. Has anyone had issues doing this? Gort 160483
  5. Dual boot system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dual boot system: I am trying to set up a dual boot system with windows 7 and win10 each on different hard drives I am trying to help a freidn who has accounting software her computer is running windows7(OEM), intel,I5 3rd or 4th gen(3XXX), 8gb memory, and 500gb hard drive. the computer is...
  6. Windows Disk Checking On Dual-Boot?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Disk Checking On Dual-Boot?: Currently I have Windows 10 (1803) and Ubuntu 18.04 dual-booted onto my laptop. Everything seems to work fine except sometimes when i boot into windows, it starts disk checking and then i press a key to skip disk checking. My question is if i dont press a key and it starts...
  7. Dual booting and system imaging

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual booting and system imaging: Hey. So i currently have Windows 10 pro on my wd blue nvme 256gb and i have 500gb ssd for storing my games. I will get a another 500gb ssd for other media like videos and photos. I would like to get into video editing and that leads me to "how to do this". I want to dual...
  8. Move system partition to primary disk?

Move system partition to primary disk?: So I recently formatted my Windows 8.1 system and installed Windows 10. But it seems that the setup decided to set my System parition to a separate HDD (G: ) and put the bootmgr and all the boot files there, instead of using the left-over 350MB System Reserved partition on my...
  9. Upgrade 10 with dual boot

Upgrade 10 with dual boot: Hello. I have a Windows 7 and Windows Server 2012 R2 dual boot laptop configuartion. If i upgrade my widnows 7 to Win10 does i will loose dual boot configs? Thanks 24273
  10. upgrading and dual booting

upgrading and dual booting: Hi everyone. My name is . I have Windows 7 X64 and I would like to upgrade to Windows 10. The question is (I get a free upgrade to Windows 10) can I dual boot windows 10 and Windows 7? Where is the consumer preview? Usually you can sample the operating system before...