Windows 10: Upgrade Questions With Caveats

Discus and support Upgrade Questions With Caveats in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've done the upgrade to Windows 10 at least 30 times so far. All have been non-domain computers. I've done one so far that was a domain computer, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DeaconFrost, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Upgrade Questions With Caveats

I've done the upgrade to Windows 10 at least 30 times so far. All have been non-domain computers. I've done one so far that was a domain computer, and it was removed from the domain, thanks to the remove everything option.

So my question is this. What's the best way to upgrade a domain computer off of the network? Or, better yet, if we choose keep my files, will the computer remain on the domain?

I have a user coming to a meeting in two weeks that I will be attending. He wants to be upgraded to 10, but we will not be sitting in our corporate office. Will the upgrade, even with "keep my files" selected, remove this computer from the domain? If not, I'll have to readd his computer to the domain using the Windows VPN connection. Not terribly painful, but then I'd have to hope his profile still loads.

Bonus Part: If the computer is kept on the domain during the install, I shouldn't have any worries. Since we would be using a slow wireless connection, is it possible to do the upgrade by using downloaded code or an extracted .iso, rather than having to wait for the entire install file set to download over the slow wireless?

:)

DeaconFrost, Apr 12, 2016

2. windows 10, how to search for a file?

As usual, the answers are useless. They don't answer the questions. Caveat emptor

Jack Wittlich, Apr 12, 2016
  3. HairyFool Win User
    Installing Windows 10

I wouldn't disagree with you but that is up to the O/P, his opening statement is quite clear "I don't want to upgrade"

With no upgrade the only option is to purchase a license with media. The question was can he boot from USB media to do a clean install without having to upgrade, the answer is yes with the caveat of having to configure the system to do so.

HairyFool, Apr 12, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Upgrade Questions With Caveats

Yes. At least in a test I did just now I had absolutely no issues:
    • I joined Windows 10 Pro Build 10586 (TH2 version 1511) to a domain
    • Used Windows Update to upgrade it to Insider Build 14316
    • After the last reboot of the upgrade, test machine was still part of the domain allowing domain sign-in
    I did not test the same with Windows 7, joining a Windows 7 machine to domain then upgrading it to Windows 10, but I see no reason why it would be different.

Yes, of course. Just create an install media, you can upgrade any Windows 7 or later machine with that. The upgrade does not have to be through Windows Update.

Thema:

Upgrade Questions With Caveats

1. Upgrade Questions With Caveats - Similar Threads - Upgrade Questions Caveats

2. Win10 upgrade questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 upgrade questions: I built my current computer back in 2013 to meet my requirements, not some conference table definition of a gaming system or a workstation or a grandma's system or whatever. My objective was that it would last for a long time and it has. Until the last Win10 update it was...
  3. Upgrade question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade question: I have windows 10 version 1903. can I do an upgrade 9252 or would it be better to try and fix the update problem I am having. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-question/1d93fd58-f35f-49ff-8b20-102891fa1201
  4. Caveat

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Caveat: hello, I spent 2 days without being able to fix a serious issue: the keyboard was ok (reacting correctly on a low level boot) but stayed dummy a deaf on normal boot. This happenned twice when I updated device drivers using 2 different specialized softwares. Both soft...
  5. Thumbs-Up for Opera 44.0, with 2 Caveats

in Browsers and Email
    Thumbs-Up for Opera 44.0, with 2 Caveats: With only 2 main reservations...err make that 2.5, I give current Opera v.44.0 a big thumbs-up. Good features, great efficiency, good if not great speed, good stability. The 2.5 caveats: 1.0 Bad default on font scaling makes fonts pale and fuzzy if not fixed. - This is an...
  6. Deferring Upgrades Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deferring Upgrades Question: In Windows Update > Advanced Options > there used to be an option to "Defer Upgrades" , but it is gone now. Any idea where it went? On the option to "Defer Upgrades": I would rather defer any build upgrade until a time that I can supervise the install, and I don't...
  7. Question before upgrading

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question before upgrading: On a spare hard drive I have, I Installed 7 Pro 64Bit w/SP1. How, if possible, do I upgrade to 10 w/o having to download all the Telemetry KB updates? 57376
  8. ADK Deployment & v1709 Question (with a lot of caveats)

ADK Deployment & v1709 Question (with a lot of caveats): Excuse me if this a bit long winded but feel I have to explain what it is I'm encountering and trying to do. Okay I upgraded from W7 to W10 in 8/2015 for a little history. I then obtained an use Macrium Reflect creating a WinPE using at that time the latest ADK Deployment...
  9. upgrade questions

upgrade questions: 1) If I put Win 10 on a full partition or as a dual boot can I go back at anytime [single Win7 partition]? 2) I'm planning to create Win 7, Win 10 dual boot on this laptop.Currently, Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, on a Del Precision M6300; disk 700GB with 121GB filled. Have Win 10...
  10. Upgrade Question

Upgrade Question: I have two identical HP Elite desktop 800 PC's one has Windows 10 installed. I also have a recovery drive canI use that recovery drive to install Windows 10 on the other PC? 31052

Users found this page by searching for:

1. caveats for a pc upgrade