Windows 10: upgrade questions

Discus and support upgrade questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 1) If I put Win 10 on a full partition or as a dual boot can I go back at anytime [single Win7 partition]? 2) I'm planning to create Win 7, Win 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jalea148, Mar 15, 2016.

1. jalea148 Win User

upgrade questions

1) If I put Win 10 on a full partition or as a dual boot can I go back at anytime [single Win7 partition]?
    2) I'm planning to create Win 7, Win 10 dual boot on this laptop.Currently, Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit, on a Del Precision M6300; disk 700GB with 121GB filled.
    Have Win 10 ISO on DVD. ISO created by Microsoft.

I have an AOMEI Bckupper System & file image on a remote drive.
    After I run the ISO my drive will be repartioned as a dual boot machine.
    I presume my next step is to run the ISO file; correct?
    After, how to I restore the Win7 backup to one of the partitions?

:)

jalea148, Mar 15, 2016
  2. Rayaka M Win User

Upgrade question.

Okay thank you. I just bought a new hp laptop and I like the way it runs on the Windows10. It lags a bit even though it's new but its okay I man put it on the other one instead getting of .

Rayaka M, Mar 15, 2016
  3. Upgrade question

The best way to do this is to get the official recovery disks from the computer manufacturer which will start you off again in Win 8.1 Pro..

Or maybe better still, ask the guy why he installed the Home version instead of Pro..

Mike Hall... always, Mar 15, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

upgrade questions

davidhk, Mar 15, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
  6. jalea148 Win User
    jalea148, Mar 16, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Using built-in Windows Disk Management, I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't trust Windows Disk Management. MiniTool Partition Wizard usually takes about 5 minutes depending on how many files it has to move. 12 hours seems a bit excessive, even for built in Windows Disk Management.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

upgrade questions

With dual boot you will need 2 product keys - kind of expensive.

9. jalea148 Win User
    I think it's resized even though the hour glass is still showing. Explorer says this disk [partition] is smaller. Earlier I tried to restart but was told shrinking was still in process.
    The reply by WHS has me worried:

My laptop is attached to my bedside stand and there are no resources for a 2nd product key. Is there another way to find the laptop's product key?

Please keep following this thread; I appreciate your help.

jalea148, Mar 16, 2016
  10. jalea148 Win User
    Any idea how to retrieve the product key from the registry in readable form?

jalea148, Mar 16, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    What WHS is saying is that it violates the End Users License Agreement (EULA) for you to have two installed and activated copies of Windows unless you have two separate licenses for Windows. When you upgrade from one version of Windows (Windows 7) to another version of WIndows (Windows 10), you still only have one license. You do not gain a second license for free. You can have EITHER Windows 7 OR Windows 10 installed and activated with your one license but NOT both.

We assumed you had purchased a second license for Windows in order to run the second version that you want to install.

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  12. jalea148 Win User
    I had been advised, due to my apprehension regarding my old software and drivers that a dual boot was the best way of trying Win 10.
    What do I do now? Can I resize back or use the other partition as a virtual drive?

jalea148, Mar 16, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

upgrade questions

You can expand the C: drive back to fill the empty space, but for reasons you have seen I recommend using MiniTool Partition Wizard for that. You can also create an NTFS partition in the empty space you created and assign it a drive letter and you will have storage space that way.

The way that we recommend "trying" Windows 10 without violating the EULA requires an external hard drive or network storage location. We recommend you create an image of your existing hard drive using a program such as Macrium Reflect Free. The image will be about 80-90% in size of the used space on your hard drive. The free space does not get backed up because there is nothing there - unless you tell it to back up sector by sector. Then you upgrade your existing installation to Windows 10. If you don't like it, then you restore the image you made, erasing Windows 10 in the process of restoring.

If you want to see your Windows product keys, run showkeyplus from this forum:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

Here is MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Here is Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Reflect Free

NavyLCDR, Mar 16, 2016
  14. jalea148 Win User
    Win 10 ISO burned to DVD with IMGBurn; backup on removable drive; 2nd partition NTSF formatted; product key extracted.
    Rebooted using DVD to install Win 10. 2 problems: stops accepting product characters after 1st 4 groups entered; asks to restart and remove DVD - keeps restarting at same point and ends at Pro or Home question. I'm trying to install on the Win 7 partition. I'm not asked which partition.

jalea148, Mar 19, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    Are you trying to upgrade the Windows 7 on that partition? If so, then you run setup.exe from the DVD with the DVD inserted in Windows 7, just like if you were copying files from it. You only boot from the DVD if you are doing a clean install.

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
Thema:

upgrade questions

1. upgrade questions - Similar Threads - upgrade questions

2. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  3. Question on Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question on Upgrade to Windows 11: I have a PC running Windows 10 Home and I am interested in upgrading to Windows 11. Windows 10 was installed for free by Microsoft as an upgrade to the existing Windows 7 on this PC. I have only the Windows 7 product key. The issue is that the PC is non-compliant for Windows...
  4. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  5. Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.

Warranty question regarding upgrading windows from home to professional.: Hi,If i want to buy a product key from bitcodes.co that allows me to go from windows home to windows pro, will the warranty be voided?https://bitcodes.co/product/windows-11-pro-retail-key/...
  6. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  7. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC: I have an aging Acer PC that will need replacing over the coming year or so due to not being able to take Windows 11 no TPM at all and unsupported processor error from the Health Check app. When it was new, it came with an OEM installation of Windows Vista.When Windows 8 or...
  8. Windows 10 / 11 Licensing question for upgrading my PC

9. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...
  10. Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.

Questions before upgrading to Windows 11.: Good morning,I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11, but I had a few clarifying questions first:- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of putting ads into the operating system?- Is Microsoft still following the horrible business practice of forcing...