Windows 10: Upgrade Results in Laptop Never Booting or Turning On!

Discus and support Upgrade Results in Laptop Never Booting or Turning On! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just did my upgrade, everything was going well, no problems...walked away at 25% and came back later to find laptop shut off (I expected it would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by spddemun, Aug 12, 2015.

1. spddemun Win User

Upgrade Results in Laptop Never Booting or Turning On!

Just did my upgrade, everything was going well, no problems...walked away at 25% and came back later to find laptop shut off (I expected it would reboot itself?).

I'm thinking at this point 10 (drivers) doesn't recognize my power adapter?

Know my battery is worth 2 min., so when I turn it on (after upgrade), the On & HDD lights go on (as they should), then last light comes on (orange for plug in NOW to recharge), then all lights go out. This is with battery IN and plugged into electrical outlet.

I can't hear the fan or HDD spin, nothing.

Thoughts?

--In meantime, I'm going to put in an old XP HDD & see if it will turn on/boot from that (recognize power adapter). IF it does, then I need to buy a new battery so I can get into the System to change any settings. -- *Sick

UPDATED: Added specs pulled from 7Forums.
    NOTE: Can't post specs, but I have ATI dedicated graphics (so don't think it's the dual monitor mistake that 10 is seeing on some machines?)

:)

spddemun, Aug 12, 2015

2. Start problem after windows 10 upgrade

me too.. thou it differs a little from yours... when i turn on my laptop and windows 10 starts to boot, suddenly laptop turns off.. and i have to turn it on again.. so everything is fine at second try.. but it never goes well for first try... i upgraded
    from pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium...

StanislavNickel, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Microsoft windows 10 wrecked my laptop!

Never, never turn your computer off during the Windows 10 upgrade. Also, if you are using a laptop, be sure the laptop is plugged in and not on battery power.

EdBurke 928, Aug 12, 2015
  4. spddemun Win User

I put another HDD in, and same reaction with black screen, laptop lights coming on, then orange again that battery is dead.

Then I tried reading the original HDD out of laptop, with 10 Upgrade. All files appeared to be there, but then got a message that something may be amiss, so run ckdsk.

Did that, and now all that is left is the Recovery partition! The files on my HDD have just disappeared!

WHAT happened?

I just knew I should have done a clean install. *Mad

spddemun, Aug 12, 2015
  5. spddemun Win User
    I'm reporting back on my fix for this. I bought a new (another Targus interchangeable tips) power supply. Now laptop is running perfectly.

Even though the old Targus tip I had worked fine after replacing adapter on mobo, all I can think is maybe a crimped wire or something in that power supply.

Now I can get back to the install Win. 10! *Nerd

spddemun, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgrade Results in Laptop Never Booting or Turning On! - Similar Threads - Upgrade Results Laptop

2. Laptop won't turn on after ram upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop won't turn on after ram upgrade: Hi,My HP Victus laptop had a SK Hynix 8gb ddr4 3200hz ram. I recently bought a new ram stick to upgrade to 16 gigs with same specifications except the brand which was Crucial. After the installation lap never boot up. Then I tried with a Hynix ram stick and it worked.So, Does...
  3. The laptop never works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The laptop never works: Hello All,I have not been annoyed in years with this kind of stupid OS.Bought a new HP laptop with windows10. To follow apple/google ecosystem, msft tried doing one outlook account for login, which stupid thing does not work. Well, I did that. Now OS does not allow login.The...
  4. The laptop never works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The laptop never works: Hello All,I have not been annoyed in years with this kind of stupid OS.Bought a new HP laptop with windows10. To follow apple/google ecosystem, msft tried doing one outlook account for login, which stupid thing does not work. Well, I did that. Now OS does not allow login.The...
  5. The laptop never works

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  6. My laptop isn't booting. The backlight comes on but it never resolves booting. If I use...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop isn't booting. The backlight comes on but it never resolves booting. If I use...: So I've been having issues with slowness for the past the few months but nothing major. A 100 percent disk usage here, a long booting time there, but nothing too concerning since I ran a hard drive health check and found no issues. Anyway, I went on a 2 day trip and left the...
  7. Laptop will Boot and then restart, never letting me open anything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop will Boot and then restart, never letting me open anything: My laptop is 3 years old (if I can get it to run long enough to tell me what the model is Ill put it here) and it will boot, sometimes let me log in, but restarts before I can do anything. I need it to hold out two more semesters and I'm getting really frustrated. Sometimes...
  8. Turn off web results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Turn off web results: How do I turn off web results in the search from the start menu. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-off-web-results/f81b8b84-ba3b-4c35-b8f2-abfdc7440491
  9. Laptop display never turn on after it turns off because of no usage of the laptop for...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop display never turn on after it turns off because of no usage of the laptop for...: Company HP Model HP Pavilion 15 cc 129tx Windows version win 10 1803 build 17134.81 Graphic Nvidia 940mx and intel UHD 620 Problem My laptop screen goes to turn off after 5 min of no usage on battery and 10 min of no usage on power . after that I am not able to use...
  10. Night light never turns on.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night light never turns on.: I tried to turn on night light on my windows 10 manually. But it doesn't turn on. I have the latest Windows 10 version. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/night-light-never-turns-on/1f1ca8ea-ad27-4d79-928c-34ca9808bb2d