Windows 10: Upgrade SSD drive from 128Gb to 256Gb

Discus and support Upgrade SSD drive from 128Gb to 256Gb in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Home upgraded DEC 2018. This is a HP Omen 17" Laptop I inserted the memory chip into the gum stick slot. Upon turning On,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EdCaslin, Jan 8, 2019.

1. EdCaslin Win User

Upgrade SSD drive from 128Gb to 256Gb

I have Windows 10 Home upgraded DEC 2018.

This is a HP Omen 17" Laptop

I inserted the memory chip into the gum stick slot.

Upon turning On, verified that the Bios has seen the change and saved.

Now, after, many pains, have restored Windows 10 (via HP Usb boot disk).

And, only have 26GB free out of 128Gb. Half of the SSD is allocated?

Thats my Big Question? WHY?

Diskmgmt shows the C: has a Total Capacity of: 238.4Gb

:)

EdCaslin, Jan 8, 2019
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Upgrading hard drive to a higher capacity

If you have a desktop computer it probably has empty room for a second drive (even some laptops do!)

If that is the case I strongly suggest you consider buying a slightly smaller SSD. Install Windows on the SSD, and use the existing old drive as your "data" drive.

A couple of years ago SSD's were extravagantly expensive. But these days you can get 128GB SSD for around $50 and 256GB for around $100. The performance improvement you will see is like getting a significant CPU upgrade.

Rohn007, Jan 8, 2019
  3. WesKlatt Win User
    Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, Jan 8, 2019
  4. Dodgeabel Win User

128gb or 256gb flash drive formatted to 32GB on Windows machine

I have read several responses to individuals having issue with Windows formatting their 128gb, 256gb, etc. flash drive to 32gb. Most of them dated back to 2013. After reading through literally 100's of answers, there is only ONE solution that I have found
    to work, and work perfectly. It's using Microsoft Diskpart in a command line. Follow this link for detailed, step by step guidance to fix your flash drive.

http://geekswithblogs.net/ilich/arc...g-unallocated-space-of-a-usb-flash-drive.aspx

For those that aren't sure how to pull up a command line in Windows, simply press and hold the "Windows" button on your keyboard and then press and release the letter "R". Once you see the Run box open up, simply type cmd and hit enter. A word of note!
    IF after you type "clean" and you receive an error, don't freak! Simply type clean again and THIS time you should be successful. Good luck.....

Dodgeabel, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Upgrade SSD drive from 128Gb to 256Gb - Similar Threads - Upgrade SSD drive

2. Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive: I just Upgraded from SSD to M2 drive on my windows 10 Pro system. I cloned my windows to it. Are there any special settings etc to make the M2 run as fast as they say they can? So far I don't see an improvement. Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates 32 GB of DDR 5 ram...
  3. Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD

Upgrade m.2 NVMe 256GB SSD to a larger m.2 NVMe SSD: I have an HP EliteDesk 800 G5 Mini PC and would like to change the boot WD_Black SN720 256GB NVMe m.2 SSD for a WD_Black SN850 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD.There are 2 NVMe M.2 slots and already have installed a WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal SSD in the second slot as a Data...
  4. Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloned 128gb SSD to 1tb SSD w/ Lsoft Active Boot - Neither drive boots: I was upgrading the SSD in a dell inspiron 13" laptop running windows 10 home from 128gb to 1tb. I used Lsoft Active boot to clone the disk. Once it completed, I booted to the cloned ssd while it was connected via usb to sata adapter cable, and it worked fine. I removed the...
  5. Upgrade Hard Drive from 128GB to 512 GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade Hard Drive from 128GB to 512 GB: Hello. . . I am operating a Dell Inspirion 7786 with a 64 bit Operating system, x64 based processor I am attempting to upgrade from an 128GB (filled up SUPER fast) to a 512 GB hard drive. Computer has a separate 1T storage drive. I have learned that I have a PCIe x 4...
  6. 128gb M.2 SSD won’t initialise

128gb M.2 SSD won’t initialise: [IMG][IMG]Hi all, Just purchased a used Kingston 128gb M.2 SSD for my computer and when I have installed it and turned on the PC, in disk management it is showing as a 476.9GB disk where when you click properties is called “Intel Raid 0 Volume”. When i attempt to initialise...
  7. Upgrading spinning drive with SSD.

Upgrading spinning drive with SSD.: I want to replace really slow 500GB hard drive with 120GB SSD using Windows 7 recovery "system image" process - does the new SSD have to be larger than the 500GB drive?...
  8. 128gb or 256gb flash drive formatted to 32GB on Windows machine

128gb or 256gb flash drive formatted to 32GB on Windows machine: I have read several responses to individuals having issue with Windows formatting their 128gb, 256gb, etc. flash drive to 32gb. Most of them dated back to 2013. After reading through literally 100's of answers, there is only ONE solution that I have found to work, and work...
  9. 128GB SSD big enough for Win 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    128GB SSD big enough for Win 10?: We're getting close,though: Samsung announced a 30 TB SSD in February as documented in this story from The Verge: Samsung unveils world's largest SSD with whopping 30TB of storage. I'm afraid to ask what it costs, though: I'm guessing it will be at least $20K, perhaps more....
  10. Upgrading to SSD drive

Upgrading to SSD drive: I plan to upgrade my laptops HD to an SSD. I was going to buy a Samsung drive because it has the cloning software but to give my new installation the best chance, I was planning to do the following: back up all my files onto an external HD; reset windows on my pc to its...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 laptop SSD upgrade 128GB to 256GB

2. how to upgrade ssd windows 10 drive from 128GB to 500GB

3. drivers to install to run 256gB Flash drive

4. putting a system image from a 256 gig ssd drive to a 500 gig ssd drive,
  5. upgrading 128 ssd to 256 ssd,
  6. can i replace a 128gb ssd with a 256gb,
  7. upgrading HP Omen desktop from 128GB ssd to 256 GB ssd