Windows 10: Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !!

Discus and support Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Good news for people who go the Upgrade route to 9926 and who use a LOCAL account. You don't get prompted at all to set up / use an Ms... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jan 28, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !!

Hi there

Good news for people who go the Upgrade route to 9926 and who use a LOCAL account.
    You don't get prompted at all to set up / use an Ms account and you don't have to disconnect from the Internet to avoid the set up as in previous builds.

Note though some applications might require you to have or set up an Ms account --that's a different issue though.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 28, 2015

2. Can i upgrade in final release from Build 10074

I have the Technical Preview Build 9926. How can I get the upgrade to the final version?

gartenriese, Jan 28, 2015
  3. skroz Win User
    Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro Upgrade - Stuck

So I know it's been 18 months since this thread was last active, but...

I had the same problem. When attempting to upgrade Win10 Home to Pro via the Activation control panel, the resulting button in the Store changed to "Working on it..." and hung for hours. I think the issue may be that the MS account I was logged in with
    has purchased this upgrade before. When accessing the store I didn't see the $99.99 button but instead "Start Upgrade" was printed.

I finally fixed it this way:

1. Create a new, local account with admin privileges.

2. Open the Activation control panel and click the link in the store.

3. Click the $99.99 button. This prompts me to log in

4. Log in with MS credentials. I chose _not_ to link the MS account, but instead logged into the Store app only.

5. Pay, and start the upgrade.

Worked first try.

skroz, Jan 28, 2015
  4. Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !!

Upgrade as in ISO Upgrade. I've never done an upgrade with Win10 - ISO custom and PB updates yes.

Did the Upgrade path used to go through the user setup? It shouldn't have.

I suppose it might have if it saw a local account - but that was just wrong!

My next install will let me see how a install with an internet connect goes with regards to the Windows sign-in account. Does it still lead with a MSA or s it more balanced. I'll see on Friday.

Thanks for posting this Jim,

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 28, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

just mount the ISO and run setup.exe from within windows. It will prompt for Keep programs etc or keep nothing - keep everything does just that.

Don't forget after the upgrade to use the DISK PROPERTIES to remove the windows.old file - frees up a few GB of HDD space -- I know in these days of huge HDD's that might not seem important but a lot of people are installing the OS on say 120GB SSD's etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 28, 2015
  6. Right, running setup in Windows is a Refresh (keep everything) or a Restore (keep nothing)
    Running setup from install media is an Upgrade (keep everything) or a Custom (keep nothing)

My 3rd setup will be on my physical machine that has Internet access, but it is also my live machine, so I'm going to try a Boot-to-VHD install from booted install media. I guess what I really wanted to know, and will find out when I install, was has the sign-in (MSA/local account) dialog of the install been improved. You posted that a Refresh install doesn't got though the MSA dialog, that's good news. It tells me that they have done some work in that area.
    Don't forget after the upgrade to use the DISK PROPERTIES to remove the windows.old file
    Disk Cleanup?

There might also be an ESD file (2+ GB) in the Recovery folder - casual users should just leave that folder alone though.

Thanks again,

Bill

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !!

1. Upgrade to 9926 - NO prompt for Ms account (finally) !! - Similar Threads - Upgrade 9926 prompt

2. Computer that would not Upgrade finally upgraded.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer that would not Upgrade finally upgraded.: This was one of my laptops that kept saying that it would upgrade later.This was for over a half of a year.Tonight when I looked at it there was a notice that I had to upgrade to continue using it with Windows 10.I clicked on the notice and the upgrade went from Version 1909...
  3. Upgrading to windows 10 - Finally...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to windows 10 - Finally...: So I've just found a genuine copy of windows vista ultimate that I purchased for a full price back in the day (I know, I know..... I was one those people). I was just wondering if there is some way for me to use that copy to get myself a genuine copy of windows 10 pro? Do I...
  4. Never Ending Prompting for MS-Account Credentials

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Never Ending Prompting for MS-Account Credentials: Hi, I am using WIn10 Pro 1809 and Office 365 with Documents on OneDrive. I login to Windows with my MS-Account and a Pin. Starting some two month ago (March updates) I got multiple prompts for my WIndows credentials: Often (once a day I receive): [img] [img] Every...
  5. Never Ending Prompting for MS-Account Credentials

in Windows 10 Support
    Never Ending Prompting for MS-Account Credentials: Hi, I am using WIn10 Pro 1809 and Office 365 with Documents on OneDrive. I login to Windows with my MS-Account and a Pin. Starting some two month ago (March updates) I got multiple prompts for my WIndows credentials: Often (once a day I receive): [img] [img] Every...
  6. OneDrive re-downloads everything after upgrade to 9926

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive re-downloads everything after upgrade to 9926: If anyone has upgraded to 9879 to 9926 did your OneDrive work? I had to download everything again as "A file with the same name exists, if they are the same please delete the version on your computer" error was shown. So I did. Is there any way to force (or ask)...
  7. Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finally cracked it - Sharing with Ms and Local accounts: Hi there I'm surprised nobody has posted this solution before -- If you have computers with Local and Ms accounts you will often see the login panel prompting for a user name when trying to access the Shares on the computer with the MS account FROM the one with the local...
  8. my experience upgrading Win7 box to build 9926

my experience upgrading Win7 box to build 9926: I tried it an old PC that has lots of software and has some low-level things like Boxcryptor (which creates a virtual drive) and software that requires activation. I first took a backup using Macrium Reflect so I could restore if possible. The system has an old Intel Core Duo...
  9. Unable to upgrade from build 9926 to anything

Unable to upgrade from build 9926 to anything: So I have had build 9926 for sometime and felt now would be a good time to upgrade...(been away traveling). First I attempted standard windows update but this simply tells me everything is up to date. I found an article to clear the update cache /reboot / and try again. This...
  10. Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade

Stuck on Build 9926, can't upgrade: Been using Windows 10 Tech Preview on and off since it first came out last year. Have been busy lately so haven't been able to keep up to date with updates. Want to upgrade to Build 10240 but Windows Updates isn't detecting there is a new build available. Have Microsoft...