Windows 10: Upgrade to a bigger SSD

Discus and support Upgrade to a bigger SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I’ve recently bought a new 512GB SSD to replace my 128GB one which is at 78GB full so I looked up how to clone my old data on the new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Viciceman, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Upgrade to a bigger SSD

Hello everyone, I’ve recently bought a new 512GB SSD to replace my 128GB one which is at 78GB full so I looked up how to clone my old data on the new one and found ways to do it with an external ssd reader and Macrium reflect and i bought a MMCRRX SSD M.2 USB C Box supporting B-key SSD (my new ssd is this one) they seem to be incompatible Upgrade to a bigger SSD :( but since i also have a D: with 1TB can i clone my current SSD on the D: drive take the current ssd out and put in the new and then put back my data from the D: to my new SSD ? Thanks in advance for your answers

submitted by /u/Viciceman
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Viciceman, Oct 17, 2020
  2. Dartman Win User

Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two icons in the taskbar then starts blinking from that screen to a completely blank screen. It even somehow messed up my 128 but I was able to restore it to a time just before it got upgraded and it is booting fine again to the old SSD. I've tried the free clone program that they let you download from WD and it does like all the other free versions I've tried, separate drive letters for each partition then of course it doesn't boot properly. I've got the Acronis WD edition, Easus, macroit, anything I can find free that has good reviews.
    I have always had no problem upgrading a normal boot hard drive to a bigger one but SSD to SSD must require some special settings or other steps I don't understand. I poked around here and even tried making a image but that didn't work either so I just need to know what to use that's free or cheap and how to set it up so it actually clone without adding extra drive letters and just acts like my old boot SSD only on the new bigger SSD
    Thanks, Terry

Dartman, Oct 17, 2020
  3. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Oct 17, 2020
  4. Jetster Win User

Upgrade to a bigger SSD

When is it time to upgrade?

Get a 3770K to me its just the neext step. Or a bigger SSD. But really your system is fine the way it is

Jetster, Oct 17, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade to a bigger SSD

1. Upgrade to a bigger SSD - Similar Threads - Upgrade bigger SSD

2. Cloned Laptop HDD to bigger SSD and can't use additional memory of SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned Laptop HDD to bigger SSD and can't use additional memory of SSD: Hello, I bought a new 1TB SSD for the Medion P6634 and cloned the old 500GB HDD with clonezilla. Everything works fine as long as i clone the old HDD 1:1 and do not try to use the setting in clonezilla to directly make use of the additional capacity of the SSD to enlarge...
  3. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  4. Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring Windows to smaller NVME SSD from a bigger NVME SSD: So, I recently got a 500gb Samsung 980 Pro and I want to transfer Windows from my 1TB WD Blue to my new SSD. So I set it up and everything went well setting it up wise, until I looked up how to change the boot drive in my PC. For all of the scenarios they had a 1tb HDD then a...
  5. Upgrade to a bigger Windows M2 SSD without losing data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade to a bigger Windows M2 SSD without losing data: Hello dear Windows10 Reddit-community, I am seeking for your help and advices. I do want to upgrade my "(C:)" M2 SSD to a new one with more storage. Sadly I do not have a second M2 slot. What is the best, less annoying or fastest way to upgrade without losing my data on that...
  6. Moving Windows to a bigger SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving Windows to a bigger SSD: Hello. Ive noticed the main application I use Reason 10 on my PC wont function properly unless its on my C: drive. My PC is store bought and has a 60GB SSD soldered onto the motherboard which leaves about 10gb~ after windows installed. I've recently bought a 1tb SSD to...
  7. Upgrade to a bigger SSD..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to a bigger SSD..: I would like to increase my diskspace in my windows 10 desktop by upgrading present Samsung SSD from 500GB to a 1TB SSD. How do I go about it?I would prefer to do it without any third party apps like Mini Partition Tool for partitioning the 1TB SSD into two partitions.What do...
  8. Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Issues after Restoring image to a bigger SSD with Macrium: Hi, I wanted to upgrade my pc replacing a 256GB SSD with a 512GB SSD. So I followed this guide (Upgrading laptop SSD to larger SSD using Macrium and external HDD): Capture an IMAGE of the ENTIRE original drive to a file on your external drive. Swap out the SSD. Boot into...
  9. Clone SSD to bigger SSD

Clone SSD to bigger SSD: Been trying to get my new 480 gig Sandisk to take a direct clone from my old Sandisk 128 gig SSD and all the programs I've tried keep assigning separate drive letters to each partition and then the bigger SSD wont even boot right. It boots to a blank 10 blue screen with two...
  10. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...