Windows 10: Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD

Discus and support Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I am currently running OEM Windows 7 on a HDD, and want to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 (I know it expired in 2016, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cx222, Feb 25, 2019.

1. cx222 Win User

Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD

Hi all,

I am currently running OEM Windows 7 on a HDD, and want to take advantage of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10 (I know it expired in 2016, but I read that you can still do it). Problem is, I have some programs that I still use that I don't have the keys for, so I'd like to keep Win7 just for running those programs. I was planning on getting a new SSD and doing a clean install of Win10 on it on the same computer. If I go ahead and install Win10 on the new SSD, would Win7 still work if I directed the BIOS to boot from the old HDD? I figured since the windows license is tied to the motherboard, either option (booting into Win7 or Win10) would work. Or does Microsoft somehow disable my Win7 once I install Win10?

Thanks

:)

cx222, Feb 25, 2019
  2. pctv.man Win User

Fresh install of Win10 to a new SSD after I already Upgraded to Win10 on an iffy HDD.

I can't seem to get an answer on this.

I did a free upgrade to Win10 Home from Win 7 Home Premium.

I used the Windows Media creator (USB) to install after it failed twice by normal upgrade.

I installed Win10 on a HDD that may be a little iffy, possibly why it took 3 tries.

I would like to do a fresh install of Win10 on a 500 GBs SSD, due to the shaky nature of the HDD.

I have the data backed up on a WD backup drive.

Due to the iffy condition of the old HDD, I don't think a recovery or clone options are an option.

I want to do a fresh install and re-install my programs on to the new SSD.

How do I go about this?

Running a Dell XPS Studio 7100, with Win7 pre-installed. Have a very old ( 2010 or 11) recovery backup on DVDs, but since Win10 is installed and working, I/d rather not go that way. Attempts to recreate Win7 recovery failed. (HDD problem???)

Any time I tax the HDD (Defrag, Spinrite, Dell Disk check) the machine locks up.

Tried to clone HD to SSD same thing, it locked up.

pctv.man, Feb 25, 2019
  3. How will I know that the Win7 to Win10 upgrade is ready?

I bought a new, larger HDD and installed vanilla Win7 on it (call it "new-Win7-HDD"). I then performed Windows Updates until KB3035583 was installed. I then did the "Get Windows 10" exercise and was informed that my upgrade is now reserved and
    I'll be notified when it's ready.

So I could have a working system while I wait, I pulled out new-Win7-HDD and substituted my old HDD (call it "old-Win7-HDD").

Question 1: How will I know it's time to switch back to new-Win7-HDD (so that the upgrade can be completed)?

Question 2: Would it be a good idea to uninstall KB3035583 from old-Win7-HDD so that the upgrade isn't done on the wrong HDD?

Notes:

When new-Win7-HDD is upgraded, call that "new-Win10-HDD".

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I will retire old-Win7-HDD.

Once I have new-Win10-HDD, I plan to do whatever needs to be done to create a clean install, then wipe new-Win10-HDD and do a clean install <<<<---- COMMENT?

That's my plan, and those are my questions. (I couldn't find any existing article or forum post that specifically addressed Question 1.)

Thank You.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Feb 25, 2019
  4. Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD

Needed: Instructions for setting-up multi-drive computer - SSD(OS) and HDD(Data) - for WIN10 install/upgrade and old WIN7 User(s) Account & File/Folder transfer

WIN10 system requirements has led to the upgrade of the family computers so I'm taking this opportunity to build a machine with SSD for OS/Programs and HDD for Data/Storage. My end goal is to keep the machine running efficiently with programs on SSD and
    User Profiles, Documents, Photos, Music, etc. on HDD.

The new machine came with WIN10 on HDD. I added SSD and "cloned" over HDD. Now I need to start moving User Profiles, ... from old machine, but I've noticed Windows automatically builds "Users" on the C: drive. There is no "Location" tab in File Properties.
    These threads usually start at the point of someone manipulating registries or CMD syntax midstream. I need to start at the beginning. Can someone point me to a guide?

First: Should I be attempting to set-up the file/folder structure on the new machine across SSD/HDD first within WIN10 and then conduct a massively painful "transfer" of old files/folders; or, should I "clone" my old WIN7 machine's slimmed down and backed-up
    HDD onto the new machine and then "Upgrade" to WIN10?

Second: How to point OS/Programs to SSD and DATA to HDD?

I see four methods online, but like here, most are partial descriptions by more competent technicians:

1. Change the Registry

2. Change directory pointers in CMD prompt

3. Change "Properties - Locations"

4. Paste and Cut, possibly through Back-up and Restore. But I still need to figure out how to get the default User locations changed.

Thanks!

Jeff C. Allen, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD

1. Upgrade to Win10 on new SSD, keep old Win7 on HDD - Similar Threads - Upgrade Win10 SSD

2. Help with networking new Win10 and old Win7

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with networking new Win10 and old Win7: We've had a wired home network for many years for our 3 Win7 computers and it worked pretty well. About 2 years ago my wife got a new Win10 and a tech guy wired that into out network just fine with my remaining 2 Win7's. About a year ago we lost partial connectivity where the...
  3. Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving operating system to a new SSD on old Machine, but keep old HDD: Hi all My PC is a 2009 machine, 64 bit with a Phenom II 925 quad processor with a 1TB HD... so very old by PC standards. Instead of buying a new machine I was thinking I would buy a SSD and move the operating system to it as it seems to take an age to boot and use the...
  4. Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade

Win7 to Win10 Upgrade & HDD/SDD Replacement Upgrade: Dear Forum, Please find below my query. Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks in advance. Context: C1 I have a laptop ref: laptop A with a pre-installed version of Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit. C2 I seemingly have the product key for the Win 7 licence - it is...
  5. Upgrade win7 to win10,

Upgrade win7 to win10,: when I try to upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10, I got this message "this PC can't be upgraded to windows 10 your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. no action is needed. windows update will offer this version of windows 10 automatically once the issue...
  6. Upgrade Win7 to Win10

Upgrade Win7 to Win10: Received the following error after trying to upgrade Windows from 7 to 10. "This PC can't be upgraded to Windows 10. Your PC isn't supported yet on this version of Windows 10. No action is needed. Windows Update will offer this version of Windows 10 automatically once...
  7. Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10

Migrated Win7 to SSD will not upgrade to Win10: Using an Asus CM8730 desktop with Win7. Purchased a Samsung Evo 850 SSD and used Samsung Migration software to move Win7 to the SSD from the HD that came from the computer. All went well, the computer boots very fast from the SSD. After about a month of use I decided to...
  8. Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD

Upgraded to Win10 in old HDD - Now want to do clean install in new SSD: Hi All, I successfully upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (both Pro 64-bit) in PC's old HDD. Now I want do a clean install on a brand new SSD. I have a few questions before I buy the SSD. 1. First off, is it possible to do a clean install of Win 10 in the new SSD...
  9. Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?

Upgrade dual boot Win7/Win8 to Win10 (keep Win7)?: Hi, I have a dual boot set up - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an SSD drive and Windows 8.1 on a second hard drive. I would like to upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 and keep the Windows 7 OS in tact. Is this possible? Can I just go through the upgrade process from...
  10. Use old win7-10 hdd to upgrade vista pc?

in Windows 10 Support
    Use old win7-10 hdd to upgrade vista pc?: Hello everyone and thank you for making this forum available. I appreciate your willingness and generosity to share your knowledge and experience. I am seeking advice and suggestions on upgrading a Vista PC from a hard drive that came out of my Win7-Win10 laptop. (The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. add new ssd install win10 remove win7

2. keep win 7

3. win7 to win10 upgrade on large ssd