Windows 10: Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 VPN L2TP fail autoconnect

Discus and support Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 VPN L2TP fail autoconnect in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good evening. After upgrading to Windows 10 2004, the L2TP / IPSEC VPN using MS-CHAPv2 with the option "Automatically use my Windows log-on name and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by rijocumo, Jun 2, 2020.

1. rijocumo Win User

Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 VPN L2TP fail autoconnect

Good evening.
    After upgrading to Windows 10 2004, the L2TP / IPSEC VPN using MS-CHAPv2 with the option "Automatically use my Windows log-on name and password and domain, if any no longer connects automatically. Note that the computer in question is in an AD domain and in the previous version it was working without problems the connection was established with the Windows credentials.
    It turns out that now, in this version, it says that the user or password is wrong and shows the dialog window for entering the password. I put the same one I use for windows login and the connection is established. I wanted this to be done automatically and, if not possible, I would like to understand technically why this is happening.
    Thank you.

Ricardo

Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 VPN L2TP fail autoconnect d544ef23-73e9-4c03-8bf3-c83e2af79cd0?upload=true.png

:)

rijocumo, Jun 2, 2020

2. Error: 788, when connecting to L2TP VPN

Hi there, recently I got this error when connecting to "L2TP/IPSec with certificate" VPN. I'm not sure what cause this.

I have already follow some of this steps with no luck :

• Adding AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule
    • Restarting both IKE and IPSec services
    • Allowing both CHAP and MS-CHAP v2
    • Reset network connection
    • Connect to different provider
    • Re-adding VPN settings
    There also little bit information can be found in the event viewer :

CoId={AEE0E2A8-34DF-41BB-B5F0-0458EFD41751}: The user xxx\xxx has started dialing a VPN connection using a per-user connection profile named yes. The connection settings are:

Dial-in User = *\

VpnStrategy = L2TP

DataEncryption = Requested

PrerequisiteEntry =

AutoLogon = No

UseRasCredentials = Yes

Authentication Type = PAP

Ipv4DefaultGateway = Yes

Ipv4AddressAssignment = By Server

Ipv4DNSServerAssignment = By Server

Ipv6DefaultGateway = Yes

Ipv6AddressAssignment = By Server

Ipv6DNSServerAssignment = By Server

IpDnsFlags =

IpNBTEnabled = Yes

UseFlags = Private Connection

ConnectOnWinlogon = No

IPsec authentication for L2TP = Machine certificate.

CoId={AEE0E2A8-34DF-41BB-B5F0-0458EFD41751}: The user xxx\xxx is trying to establish a link to the Remote Access Server for the connection named yes using the following device:

Server address/Phone Number = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Device = WAN Miniport (L2TP)

Port = VPN3-1

MediaType = VPN.

CoId={AEE0E2A8-34DF-41BB-B5F0-0458EFD41751}: The user xxx\xxx dialed a connection named yes which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 788.

***Original title: VPN Error 788***

Syafii Azami, Jun 2, 2020
  3. L2TP VPN on Lumia 950 giving error code 812

Hello,

I recently purchased a Lumia 950 (AT&T running Windows 10 Mobile build 10.0.10586.0.

When I configure my work IPSec L2TP VPN connection on my phone and then attempt to connect, it attempts to connect, then fails displaying the error:

The VPN connection failed with error code 812.

This seems to happen after the credentials are accepted.

During the connection attempt on the phone, the status display progresses as follows:

• Connecting to <address of my VPN server>
    • Verifying your credentials
    • Connecting to <address of my VPN server>
    • The VPN connection failed with error code 812.
    When I look at the logs of my VPN server, a connection is actually established successfully by the client, then immediately terminated.

I'm not positive who is terminating the connection on who (client or server).

VPN Settings configured on the Lumia 950 are as follows:

Connection name: My Work

Server name or address: <address of my VPN server>

VPN Type: L2TP/IPsec with pre-shared key

Pre-shared key: <pre-shared key that is configured on my VPN server & working on other devices>

Type of sign-in info: User name and password

I have typed the username & password in again multiple times to confirm it is correct. It is.

Furthermore, I have a Lumia 925 running Windows Phone 8.1. It connects perfectly using these same settings.

It seems something changed in Windows 10 Mobile that caused this VPN connection to stop working.

Do you have any suggestions on how I might be able to get this resolved?

I really need the VPN to be working.

Thanks!

-

Doug Mortensen

Impala Networks

Douglas Mortensen, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 VPN L2TP fail autoconnect

VPN L2TP server

I have previously configured a Windows 10 pc to accept incoming VPN traffic via broadband using PPTP protocol, but now that Apple have discontinued PPTP support on IOS/OSX based devices in favour of other protocols e.g. L2TP/IPsec, I have no apparent
    way of accessing my private network via an Apple client and a Windows based VPN server. Is there is a way to do something similar via an Apple based client and a Windows 10 pc running an L2TP based server?

RichardAppleton, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 VPN L2TP fail autoconnect

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 2004 VPN L2TP fail autoconnect - Similar Threads - Upgrade 2004 VPN

2. The L2TP connection attempt failed error VPN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The L2TP connection attempt failed error VPN: Hi,I just recently got instructions from my company to install VPN, everything worked fine for few days and now i got this message:The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during the initial negotiations with the remote...
  3. The L2TP connection attempt failed error VPN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The L2TP connection attempt failed error VPN: Hi,I just recently got instructions from my company to install VPN, everything worked fine for few days and now i got this message:The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during the initial negotiations with the remote...
  4. VPN L2TP Broken.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN L2TP Broken.: With the Recent updates on Windows 11, Last 3 weeks, my L2tp connection is not able to connect. I use Preshared key, not certificates. But the attempts are not leaving from Computer. Below Error Appears : If you do suggested command, the output is also not helpful Does anyone...
  5. VPN L2TP Broken.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN L2TP Broken.: With the Recent updates on Windows 11, Last 3 weeks, my L2tp connection is not able to connect. I use Preshared key, not certificates. But the attempts are not leaving from Computer. Below Error Appears : If you do suggested command, the output is also not helpful Does anyone...
  6. windows 10 20h2 cannot vpn l2tp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 20h2 cannot vpn l2tp: hello windows 10 20h2 cannot vpn l2tp please tell me fix use l2tp vpn . but i use with mobile phone and win10 ver 1909 build 18363.1256 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-20h2-cannot-vpn-l2tp/c76caf06-e546-47e8-9bb7-63281fa915aa
  7. windows 10 20h2 cannot vpn l2tp

windows 10 20h2 cannot vpn l2tp: hello your windows 10 20h2 connot vpn . when i connect vpn l2tp afterthat disconnect .but when i can use on mobile phone. and windows version 1909 build 18363.1256 please tell me fix problem thank you...
  8. windows 10 l2tp/ipsec vpn connection failed

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 l2tp/ipsec vpn connection failed: The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer. kindly send regedit settings for this to connect secure-key l2tp for windows 10 in windows 10 regedit...
  9. OpenVPN -> Autoconnect to VPN + Killswitch?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OpenVPN -> Autoconnect to VPN + Killswitch?: Hey!, Recently I bought a gaming laptop which brought me back to Windows from Arch since TBH I didn't really want to deal with the headaches of trying to get Optimus to work properly haha (That and using my Xbox Game Pass sub to play Outer Worlds). I have it pretty much set...
  10. L2TP VPN on Windows 10

L2TP VPN on Windows 10: Hello. I'm brand new to Windows 10. I've been living in OS X the past few year and just getting reacquainted with Windows. I'm trying to connect to my VPN server which I've been using (and continue to use) successfully with my Macs and iOS devices. L2TP over IPSEC. I cannot...