Windows 10: Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home on new laptop with digital license

Discus and support Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home on new laptop with digital license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; On my old laptop, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Editioncame pre-installed using Microsoft Store. It shows 'Windows is activated with a digital... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Parveen Jakhar, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home on new laptop with digital license

On my old laptop, I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Home Editioncame pre-installed using Microsoft Store. It shows 'Windows is activated with a digital license'. I'm assuming that it means that the license is linked to my Microsoft Account.

With the 'slmgr -dli' cmd it shows the license as Retail License.

Recently I bought a new laptop which also came with pre-installed Home edition. Now I wanted to upgrade the new laptop with the same Pro edition which I purchased.

I tried 'slmgr.vbs /upk' and 'slmgr /cpky' on the old one, and also removed microsoft account on that. From microsoft website also, I removed the old device from the 'My Devices' section.

On the new laptop when I open the MS Store, instead of giving me the option to freely upgrade to Pro Edition, it shows me the option to purchase a new one. Since I am using the same MS Account on the new laptop it should not happen.

- Activation troubleshooter option not available on new laptop

- Upgrading with the generic key also not working. It shows that 'this copy of windows can't be upgraded with this key'.

Please help me upgrading to Pro Edition without make a new purchase.

:)

Parveen Jakhar, Jan 31, 2021
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Jan 31, 2021
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, Jan 31, 2021
  4. Frick Win User

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home on new laptop with digital license

Windows 10 Release Date Announced

Windows 10 Home will be $119, Pro $199.

Microsoft: Windows 10 Home costs $119, Pro costs $199

Which is good news actually, because Windows 8.1 is loads cheaper than previous versions (retail licensing at Windows 7 OEM prices). And it sort of puts a huge hole in the Windows subscription theory.

Frick, Jan 31, 2021
Thema:

Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home on new laptop with digital license

1. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home on new laptop with digital license - Similar Threads - Upgrade Pro Home

2. Windows 10 home digital license on windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 home digital license on windows 10 pro: I have windows 10 home digital license but I have installed windows 10 pro which is not activated, the troubleshoot tells me to install a windows 10 home copy to activate windows from the digital license I have for windows 10 home but I already re-installed windows 10 using...
  3. Windows 10 home digital license on windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 home digital license on windows 10 pro: I have windows 10 home digital license but I have installed windows 10 pro which is not activated, the troubleshoot tells me to install a windows 10 home copy to activate windows from the digital license I have for windows 10 home but I already re-installed windows 10 using...
  4. Windows 10 home digital license on windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Activating Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with 10 Home digital license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with 10 Home digital license: HelloI'm having trouble activating Windows 10 Pro on an Acer laptop. The laptop has a Windows 10 Home embedded key, so activation is automatic after a full reinstall. But I bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro confirmed to be genuine and when I try and install it on the laptop it...
  6. Activating Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with 10 Home digital license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Activating Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with 10 Home digital license: HelloI'm having trouble activating Windows 10 Pro on an Acer laptop. The laptop has a Windows 10 Home embedded key, so activation is automatic after a full reinstall. But I bought a copy of Windows 10 Pro confirmed to be genuine and when I try and install it on the laptop it...
  7. Activating Windows 10 Pro on a laptop with 10 Home digital license

8. Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 home using a digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 home using a digital license: Hi, I need to upgrade my version of Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro so that I can access the remote desktop connection feature. My edition is Windows 10 Home and my activation says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to my Microsoft account. But it looks...
  9. Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home (Digital License) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (License key): I'm trying to upgrade my Windows 10 Home, which came installed on my HP Omen 15 But, return this error: The last product key (ID: xxxx) you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows (0x803FA067) Does this mean that the key that I previously bought and used on another...
  10. Windows 10 Home Digital License upgrade.

Windows 10 Home Digital License upgrade.: So im trying to upgrade my windows 10 home edition, wich i got via the free upgrade period a couple years back. I upgraded from Windows 7. However, im aware that i now have a digital license, so everytime im trying to change my Product key to my newly bought Windows 10 pro...