Windows 10: Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free]

Discus and support Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free] in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello to All And apologies for the length of my first thread but I am hoping that I have given enough basic info to avoid responders having to ask... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by antioch, Oct 16, 2019.

1. antioch Win User

Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free]

Hello to All
    And apologies for the length of my first thread but I am hoping that I have given enough basic info to avoid responders having to ask questions.

I have just popped over from the 7 Forum to seek, help, information and confirmation concerning the subject of upgrading from WIN 10 S mode to WIN 10 Home on a new laptop.

I have a relative [aged 75] who wants to buy a laptop after Xmas, on a budget of £350.
    [450USD]. Not a lot to play with and which does limit choice to a laptop with Chrome or WIN 10 S Home as the operating system. She has been made aware of the limits of use in either case.
    Her use has decreased quite a lot over the last ten years and although she currently has a laptop with WIN 7 Home, she has no basic technical knowledge on its full use - despite my efforts.
    She does next to nothing as far as shopping online. She has a British Telcom email address which she uses at least once a week[friends, family & two Associations]. All corres. in and out are printed together with docs that are screen printed, then printed off and filed. I don't think she has ever used 'My Documents' to store any sort of document - all are kept in hard copy in a filing cabinet.
    I have warned her that her old printer might be a problem with Chrome. She does have Wi-Fi.

So far I have a choice of three laptops within the budget.
    A. One can be loaded with WIN 10[free of charge] but not activated and will require a product key which can be sourced very cheap around the net, for about £14 to £20.
    B. The other will have WIN 10 S Mode pre-loaded and activated.
    C. The third is a Chromebook but with a smaller screen.

If this was for myself I would install Linux without hesitation.

My research so far has indicated that the WIN 10S can be updated for free, though some posters in some forums have indicated that it was not possible or did not work.
    A. option does give me some concerns.
    B. Involves a hit or miss free upgrade. If stuck with S mode then additional software could be a problem.
    C. Involves the lack of using software not available from Chrome. Printer might not work due to age.

A budget of £400 could give her a decent laptop, with WIN 10 Home, and she can use whatever other software she need - and the printer should work.

Rgds

:)

antioch, Oct 16, 2019

2. Win 10 boots...

People have Win 10 installed?

Easy Rhino, Oct 16, 2019
  3. RealNeil Win User
    Win 10 boots...

I can't answer to the speed of Win-8 booting. I tried the Win-8 preview and went back to Win-7 after a month. They say that Win-8.1 is a lot better than Win-8 was.
    My Win-10 TP is working well ATM.

RealNeil, Oct 16, 2019
  4. Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free]

Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Oct 16, 2019
Thema:

Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free]

1. Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10 [for free] - Similar Threads - Upgrade Mode free

2. free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10: I bought a desktop having Win 8.1 years ago and it still run smoothly.I had free upgraded to Win 10 through Windows security updates when Microsoft announced on its web, but seems not good to use and recovered to Win 8.1 after using Win 10 for a while.Is there any free...
  3. free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10: I bought a desktop having Win 8.1 years ago and it still run smoothly.I had free upgraded to Win 10 through Windows security updates when Microsoft announced on its web, but seems not good to use and recovered to Win 8.1 after using Win 10 for a while.Is there any free...
  4. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  5. Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading a Senior to win 10 for free: Hello folks, I'm a Senior male trying to help my neighbor who is even older than me. He stopped using his laptop after his wife died, so I thought with the little knowledge I have I would re set up his email. I found out he is still running Win 8. My question is, is there a...
  6. Win 10 "S" mode virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win 10 "S" mode virus: I have an ASUS notebook running Win 10 in "S" mode. Supposedly, S mode has its own MS Defender antivirus, but somehow a "SYSTEM ALERT! Click here to remove virus" and "Viruses Found 5 your computer is damaged..." messages keep appearing. All messages come form the...
  7. win 10 in S mode upgrades

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 in S mode upgrades: will 64 bit apps run after upgrade from win 10 in S mode to 10 home to 10 pro 64 b cpu ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-in-s-mode-upgrades/0b635ece-3f8f-418d-96bf-a685dc21a2ff
  8. Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10[for free]

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade WIN 10 S Mode to WIN 10[for free]: Hello to All And apologies for the length of my first thread but I am hoping that I have given enough basic info to avoid responders having to ask questions. I have just popped over from the 7 Forum to seek, help, information and confirmation concerning the subject of...
  9. Win 10 S Mode Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 S Mode Questions: Hello all and if you observe, happy Easter or Passover. Next week, a friend is getting an HP laptop that'll be using Windows 10 in S Mode. I'm somewhat familiar with what can and cannot be done but there are a few questions. As there are restrictions in what can be...
  10. Win 10 Free Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Free Upgrade: I still have Win 8.1 Pro in one of my pc's. Is it too late to upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free. If so what would be the process.Win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-free-upgrade/6c5b0473-a789-4832-918f-0579fdb5c9d2