Windows 10: Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Discus and support Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dewey, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Dewey Win User

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows numbers OXe 19000101 - OX 30018.
    I've downloaded also to a USB using the ISO selection. Never have tried using an ISO before. I've used WinRar and 7zip to load the ISO file, but that doesn't work either... Been working on this, reading everything I can on the internet and I'm about ready to give up. I've downloaded Win 10 to my desktop and everything went fine.

The laptop is only about 4 years old, purchased from Tiger Direct. I've kept it updated also use Avast (free) anti virus, IObit malware program, CrapCleaner and Advanced System Care Pro.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.....Thank you..........................

:)

Dewey, Aug 14, 2015
  2. S.K. LAM Win User

How to downgrade the Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 Home (upgraded from Windows 7 Home)

It means there is no way for Win 10 Pro downgrade to Win 10 home (upgrade from Win 7 Home) unless I reinstall the win 7 home then upgrade to win 10 home?

If I do the clean install of that PC installed Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 10 Home (upgraded from Win 7 Home) and skipped the inserting key steps then connect internet, will my PC activate automatically for Win 10 Home or Win 10 Pro?

S.K. LAM, Aug 14, 2015
  3. 1Anointed Win User
    Win 10 upgrade deactivates Win 7 after fail.

PC with Win 7 Ultimate had been upgraded to Win 10 but reverted to Win 7 Ult. Now trying to restore Win 10 by doing upgrade fails and DEACTIVATES Win 7 Ult?

1Anointed, Aug 14, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

I'm confused by what you post. Normally, if you chose to download the .iso, it'd be to a hard drive. The tool can also create a bootable USB flash drive. (I've never used it for that. I got the .iso.)

If you have the .iso, you can extract it to a folder using 7Zip. Run setup .exe from that folder.

Good luck.

bobkn, Aug 14, 2015
  5. damocles Win User
    I had the same error. This solved it for me.

After many attempts the installation always had problems and stuck around 8% ( I even left it on for 20hours ). This was using usb connected to a ssd drive with 'keep all settings' selected. I decided to try again freeing up as much space as I can on my aging tablet PC ( samsung series 7 slate XE700T1A-A01UK ), I managed to get 30GB free ( previous attempts had 14GB free and 21GB free ( failed install )) from the hard drive ( ssd too ) and I deleted all unnecessary programs and uninstalled the antivirus AVG.

On my next attempt I decided to install win 10 with a 'Keep Nothing' set up and steered away from the check for updates option and the install went like a dream and worked very well. Feels like I have a new tablet PC. There is one issue which I will address in another post.

I hope this helps and good luck.

damocles, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Dewey Win User
    All my attempts with a straight download failed. I then checked ISO and downloaded to a USB drive. I unzipped the ISO with 7zip. When I click on "setup" I get the message "Use the other installation disk that says 64bit. When you insert it Windows will start automatically" I used the 64bit MediaCreationTool for the download. I have Win7 SP1 64bit so I don't understand why the ISO is requesting 2nd disk.

Dewey, Aug 14, 2015
  7. bobkn Win User
    The 64 bit media creation tool is to run on a 64 bit OS. It allows you to download both 32 and 64 bit ISOs. Sounds like you accidentally got the 32 bit ISO.

I hope that doing another 3GB download isn't a problem for you.

bobkn, Aug 14, 2015
  8. Dewey Win User

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

I had downloaded the correct 64bit mediacreation tool.
    Double checked it to make sure. Tried again this time
    selecting install with no apps. This time it went through
    download, update, and install to 65% complete. Then it said
    it had to close and get more info/ closed and opened with
    it could no longer complete the install and then gave me the original
    msg I'd been getting. error in first boot phase. I guess now its, wipe the
    drive re-install win 7 and the try to update to 10.....this is 7 attempts to install 10

Dewey, Aug 15, 2015
  9. The first 32 bit 64 bit choice is based on what OS your running it on. If your running the setup on a 64 bit OS you use the 64 bit setup. After that you also have a 32 bit of 64 bit option for the ISO you download. Sounds like you downloaded the 32 bit ISO by accident. Pay close attention and you'll see what I mean.

alphanumeric, Aug 15, 2015
  10. bobkn Win User
    Is this a different installer than the one you used in Post #4?

I Googled a bit on the error that you mention in Post #1. One possible cause is antivirus software. Did you deactivate (or uninstall) Avast before attempting the upgrade?

bobkn, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Dewey Win User
    Nope....same installer as before....The first few times I deactivated my Avast anit-virus. This last time I uninstalled it
    completely. I've tried one more time. I've downloaded the 64bit installer to another USB drive and tomorrow I'm
    going to try for the last time to unzip the installer to it's own folder in my C: drive and give it a go......

Dewey, Aug 16, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    I don't think it will work when unzipped to a folder on C: since C: is the drive\partition you are updating. I think I tried this and ended up in some kind of install loop.

I finally ended up just mounting the ISO and running setup.exe from there. Since this is not supported natively in Windows 7 you would have to install a program to allow you to do this, like: How do I mount iso image file in Windows 7?

I think unzipping the ISO to a folder on a different drive/partition would also work but I haven't tried that yet.

Ztruker, Aug 16, 2015
  13. Dewey Win User

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Ok , I just completed running the ISO directly off the USB drive that I downloaded it on. I clicked on setup, it checked for updates etc. etc. I clicked on keep nothing, when it gave me a choice. It then started the install and finally quit. Got the same message as all the other attempts. "OxC1900101-Ox30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." So now I'm back to square one.......

Dewey, Aug 16, 2015
  14. Harpert Win User
    To install Windows 10 properly make sure the following steps are followed:

- Disable or preferably uninstall any 3rd party Anti virus software like Avira / AVG / Kaspersky
    - Make sure there are no USB sticks connected
    - Make sure there are NO external drives connected.

The easiest way is to download the MediaCreation tool (make sure to download the proper version) and choose:

UPGRADE THIS PC

When you have no anti virus running.... all goes well *Smile

Good Luck

Harpert, Aug 16, 2015
  15. Some hits on Google say OxC1900101-Ox30018 means corrupted files. Might be time to try a different thumb drive. And if you haven't already, let the Media Creation Tool create the thumb drive. Instead of downloading the ISO and unzipping it. Was that PC working OK prior to this?

alphanumeric, Aug 16, 2015
Thema:

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

1. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 - Similar Threads - Upgrade

2. Incompatible processor for Windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incompatible processor for Windows 11 upgrade: My Dell 27AIO running Windows 10 Home passes a PC Health Check for a Windows 11 upgrade except for an incompatible processor. Wondering if anyone knows what missing functionality is present with an Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz and 48 GB of RAM. Is it possible to upgrade...
  3. Incompatible processor for Windows 11 upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incompatible processor for Windows 11 upgrade: My Dell 27AIO running Windows 10 Home passes a PC Health Check for a Windows 11 upgrade except for an incompatible processor. Wondering if anyone knows what missing functionality is present with an Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz and 48 GB of RAM. Is it possible to upgrade...
  4. PC boots to black screen after upgrading to windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC boots to black screen after upgrading to windows 11: Basically the title. I upgraded my PC from win10 to win11 and now when it restarted, it only shows a black screen. When I force restarted my PC, everything turns on but my monitor only shows a black screen, doesn't even show the prompts for the motherboard since it is...
  5. PC boots to black screen after upgrading to windows 11

PC boots to black screen after upgrading to windows 11: Basically the title. I upgraded my PC from win10 to win11 and now when it restarted, it only shows a black screen. When I force restarted my PC, everything turns on but my monitor only shows a black screen, doesn't even show the prompts for the motherboard since it is...
  6. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...: I have upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 - my settings button and my shut down buttons, together with my apps, have disappeared. How do I get them back?...
  7. How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...

How do I shut down my computer? I upgraded to Windows 11 and my settings button is gone,...: I have upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 - my settings button and my shut down buttons, together with my apps, have disappeared. How do I get them back?...
  8. Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%

Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%: Hi! I just did a fresh install of windows 10 yesterday to hopefully get a functional install to run with but after 24+ hrs of troubleshooting and fixing i finally got windows 10 ready and functional and decided to upgrade to windows 11, currently the update is stuck at 64%...
  9. Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 to Windows 11 upgrade stuck at 64%: Hi! I just did a fresh install of windows 10 yesterday to hopefully get a functional install to run with but after 24+ hrs of troubleshooting and fixing i finally got windows 10 ready and functional and decided to upgrade to windows 11, currently the update is stuck at 64%...
  10. HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10

HDMI not working after upgrading to windows 10: My laptop has a broken screen and i use HDMI to connect it to TV screen. i upgraded to windows 10 and now i cant switch screens again, tried Win + P and it doesnt work, i think im in middle of upgrade because i can barely see little blue window on top of my screen and it...