Windows 10: Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer

Discus and support Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have an old PC with a Windows 10 Pro license. It's a digital license linked to my Microsoft account that I purchased online, separately from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mephistodsh, May 29, 2020.

1. Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer

Hi,

I have an old PC with a Windows 10 Pro license. It's a digital license linked to my Microsoft account that I purchased online, separately from the computer, and for which I didn't receive an activation code. It's a retail license, as can be confirmed with the command "slmgr -dli".

I have a new PC with Windows 10 Family Version 1909 not activated that I just bought. I also linked that PC to my Microsoft account.

I want to install Windows 10 Pro on my new PC and transfer the license from my old PC to the new one.

I tried the following: https://win10.guru/windows-10-digital-license-how-to-transfer/

In summary, this consists in going to the Activation Settings, "Troubleshoot" and then "I recently changed hardware on this device". However, this doesn't work in my case: Windows tells me that the Windows editions on the two PCs do not match.

I'm not sure why I get this error, since the following help page states that "If your device is running Windows 10 Version 1607 or later, the Activation troubleshooter can help you install the correct edition of Windows on your device" as explained earlier, I have Windows 10 Family Version 1909 installed on the PC I attempt to upgrade.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ivation-errors

So I have the feeling that I'm a bit stuck.

Could someone help please?

:)

Mephistodsh, May 29, 2020
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, May 29, 2020
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

The interesting question is that: the upgrade takes place before 29 of July. If I upgrade the PC (change the MB), and I transfer the Win 8.1 license to this new PC (cause 8.1 is retail FPP), will I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free? Or a upgrade license must be bought?

krimetal, May 29, 2020
  4. Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer

New computer - transfer old key

Hi,

The Windows 10 Pro upgrade would be tied to the old computer and is not transferable. I believe it will be necessary to purchase Windows 10 Pro.

Try the following steps:

To upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings >
    Update & security > Activation.

• If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, and Windows 10 Home is currently activated on your device, select
      Go to Store and you'll be prompted to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.
    • If you have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, but Windows 10 Home isn't activated on your device, select
      Troubleshoot, and then follow the steps to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.
    • If you don't have a digital license for Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro is available for purchase from the Store.
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Smittychat., May 29, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer

1. Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer - Similar Threads - Upgrade Family Pro

2. Upgrade new Studio Windows 11 Home from old PC Windows 10 Pro license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade new Studio Windows 11 Home from old PC Windows 10 Pro license: I just purchased a new Surface Studio for my wife. it's replacing and older PC running Windows 10 Pro while the Studio has Windows 11 Home. I would like to transfer the Pro license to the Studio but the old PC was only logged into Windows 10 locally and there is no product...
  3. Upgrade new Studio Windows 11 Home from old PC Windows 10 Pro license

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade new Studio Windows 11 Home from old PC Windows 10 Pro license: I just purchased a new Surface Studio for my wife. it's replacing and older PC running Windows 10 Pro while the Studio has Windows 11 Home. I would like to transfer the Pro license to the Studio but the old PC was only logged into Windows 10 locally and there is no product...
  4. Upgrading to Windows Pro from an old SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Windows Pro from an old SSD.: I bought a laptop a few months ago after my desktop's stopped working and it is now collecting dust. Now I want to use one of Windows Pro features because of the limiting factor of Home edition.I figured I wanted to upgrade the laptop from Windows Home to Windows Pro edition...
  5. Windows 10 Pro upgrade license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro upgrade license: I just bought a new computer with an OEM license for Windows 10 Home, and 'm planning to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro using the $99 upgrade in Windows Store. After I upgrade, will the new Windows 10 Pro license be an OEM license tied to the motherboard or a retail license tied...
  6. license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro

license windows 10 upgrade, from windows 10 home to pro: hi i would like to upgrade from window 10 home to window 10 pro. then buy license part number FQC-08929 but can't upgrade as microsoft said it is OEM license. then supplier suggest another license part number FQC-09131. 1. FQC-09131 is this license valid for upgrade...
  7. [RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

[RESOLVED] Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  8. Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer

Transferring Windows 10 Pro RETAIL license from old computer to new computer: Hi there I have an old computer with Windows 10 Pro Retail fully activated. It was originally a Windows 8 Pro retail key that I bought from a shop in a box and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I would now like to transfer this old license to my new computer that also has...
  9. Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer

Upgrade Windows 10 Family to Pro with license from old computer: Hi, I have an old PC with a Windows 10 Pro license. It's a digital license linked to my Microsoft account that I purchased online, separately from the computer, and for which I didn't receive an activation code. It's a retail license, as can be confirmed with the command...
  10. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Pro license key: Hey, I've been running insider preview since build 98xx, after final build came I decided to to a clean install and get my "free" license so I installed Windows 8.1 Pro with a valid license during initial setup I as prompted that I could upgrade to Windows 10 for free, this...