Windows 10: Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD

Discus and support Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I have about 10 PCs at my office that are all using either 5400 or 7200 rpm HDDs that we want to upgrade to SSDs. All computers are all-in-ones:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RyanH0903, Nov 24, 2019.

1. RyanH0903 Win User

Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD

Hi, I have about 10 PCs at my office that are all using either 5400 or 7200 rpm HDDs that we want to upgrade to SSDs. All computers are all-in-ones: either Dell Inspiron 24s or Acer Aspire C24s and all are running Windows 10 Pro. I am planning on simply cloning the current internal HDDs to the new SSDs therefore avoiding having to do a clean install of Windows (we work in a heavily regulated industry that requires multiple 3rd-party antivirus programs that would have to all be reinstalled as well).

My question is if for whatever reason the HDDs have issues with being cloned and I am forced to reinstall Windows 10 Pro, will our product license/key activate automatically upon the clean install?

If not, how would I find the recovery key to keep our Windows 10 Pro license?

Thanks in advance.

:)

RyanH0903, Nov 24, 2019
  2. T Monahan Win User

Switch HDD to SSD + Add m2 2280 SSD then Activation? Or Activate then swap all the HDD/SSDs around?

Good Afternoon,

Just purchased a brand new desktop PC (it still in the box). Its preinstalled with Windows 10 Professional (awaiting activation) on the a single drive which is a 2.5" HDD. I don't' want that drive in the computer and I've purchased two new SSD's to upgrade
    the system. Once I remove the HDD, its no longer part of my equation.

Current out of the box setup:

2.5" HDD with Windows 10 Pro awaiting first startup / initiation and activation.

Where I want to go:

M.2 2280 SSD as Primary drive with Windows 10 Pro installed and activated here

2.5" SSD as secondary drive for my files/documents/data.

How do I get the preinstalled Win10Pro off the HDD, and activate it on the M2 SSD as the primary OS boot drive? Should I activate windows before making all these hardware changes? Or should I clone/reinstall Windows 10 Pro to the M.2 SSD then activate?
    Last step is adding the additional SSD for data, but that's not a priority … or is it? Add it before activation?

This is the headache I get for buying an pre-built system that wasn't originally spec'd the way I wanted. Oh well.

Do the HDD/SSD changes make a diff to the activation process? or is it all hardware encoded to the motherboard which remains unchanged?

Advice?

T Monahan, Nov 24, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Nov 24, 2019
  4. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD

Clean install Windows 10 on new SSD to rplace failing HDD and corrupte

How to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD that will replace a failing HDD and corrupted data files in a Laptop PC?
    There seems to be a lot of old posts that touch on various subjects that I need help with but none that lump them all together. This is a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD on a Laptop PC that was previously upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade just prior to the free upgrade becoming unavailable. About 6 months ago intermittent weird problems began to appear and with the help of various support groups and Windows Community we came to the conclusion that the HDD needed to be replaced(failed Seagate's drive test) with an SSD (My Choice) and a clean install of Windows 10(corrupted data files in the OS).
    I was given a URL to download and burn to DVD an ISO file of Windows 10 PRO 64bit OS. I purchased a 240GB Sandisk SSD. I don't need to partition this drive as the single C: partition is adequate for size and speed.
    Is there a step by step procedure listed somewhere that preps(formats?) the SSD using disk management for Windows 10 and then using the ISO file that I burned to a DVD, installs Windows 10 on to my SSD? I am not familiar with ISO files and am assuming that is something that is sent to you to boot from and install from when you order SW from MS.

RogerAttila, Nov 24, 2019
Thema:

Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD

1. Upgrade Windows 10 Pro PCs from HDD to SSD - Similar Threads - Upgrade Pro PCs

2. How to upgrade from HDD to SSD and upgrade from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to upgrade from HDD to SSD and upgrade from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro ?: I have Intel Core i3 10th gen laptop 4GB RAM + 1TBHDD. I have bought a 8GB RAM and a 256GB NVME SSD for upgrade my PC. Also I have bought Windows 10 Pro OEM key. My laptop came with Windows 10 Home. There are two partitions in my HDD as C - Windows and D - my personal data...
  3. How to upgrade from HDD to SSD and upgrade from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to upgrade from HDD to SSD and upgrade from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro ?: I have Intel Core i3 10th gen laptop 4GB RAM + 1TBHDD. I have bought a 8GB RAM and a 256GB NVME SSD for upgrade my PC. Also I have bought Windows 10 Pro OEM key. My laptop came with Windows 10 Home. There are two partitions in my HDD as C - Windows and D - my personal data...
  4. How to upgrade from HDD to SSD and upgrade from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 Pro ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD

Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have dell inspiron 3542 with Windows 10 Pro genuine version in HDD, and it's digitally activated while upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro, I backed up my product ID in Microsoft account, But yesterday I had inserted 2nd SSD caddy in DVD slot, I tried to migrate OS...
  6. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD: Hi My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10. Kindly guide if there is a possibility...
  7. Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Copying Windows 10 to new SSD from existing HDD while upgrading to SSD from HDD.: Hi, I'm thinking about updating my 2 years old laptop from HDD to SSD. Since my HDD is still in working condition, I plan to use it as an external HDD. I have a pre-installed Windows 10 Home on my laptop.Is it possible for me to transfer it to the new SSD while upgrading?...
  8. upgrade from HDD to SSd

upgrade from HDD to SSd: HI, I have a Lenovo desktop with an AMD E1 processor and a conventional 500gb hard drive. I'm thinking about upgrading this hard drive to an SSD in order to improve performance. How much more responsive would the computer be?? Is it worth it to make this switch?? Thanks...
  9. Upgrade to SSD from HDD

Upgrade to SSD from HDD: I have old Sony Vaio AIO desktop that I want to replace the HDD with 256GB SSD. Current OS is latest version of Windows 10. Computer has Legacy bios and uses Std Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. I plan to do a clean install of windows 10 . I understand that I need to change...
  10. Upgrading from HDD to SSD on windows 10

Upgrading from HDD to SSD on windows 10: I will be upgrading my hard drive to an ssd and due to the smaller size i can't just copy the entire disc so i figured i should do a clean install as i have a bunch of junk on my current install and had some questions. 1.First is how will i activate the new version of...