Windows 10: Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key

Discus and support Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will need to Upgrade my Windows 7 Pro to 10 soon! I installed Windows 7 Pro on this Windows 8 Standard machine years ago. Will I be able to Upgrade... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by FunkMaster, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key

I will need to Upgrade my Windows 7 Pro to 10 soon!

I installed Windows 7 Pro on this Windows 8 Standard machine years ago. Will I be able to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? Or will I have to somehow reinsert the Windows 7 Pro Product Key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro? Or will I have to do a Clean Install and use the Windows 7 Pro Product Key? I also don't know if this machine ever had 10 on it. I think it was always a Windows 8 machine, but could be wrong, it's a used machine and had no OS on it when I got it.

I did not buy this key, I got it from an old dead Windows 7 Pro machine.

:)

FunkMaster, Jan 17, 2020
  2. rgauchey Win User

embedded OEM key

Windows 10 install will not accept my embedded product key. What do I do now??

rgauchey, Jan 17, 2020
  3. Superfly Win User
    Product Key

Keys are not required for the upgrade process. Windows 10 has a built-in generic key which it uses to install - it acquires the underlying Win7/Win8 activation during the upgrade process and assigns your device ID as a valid Windows 10 activated device. Subsequent installs will thus activate using your device ID. You will not require a key - should you be prompted, select "skip". Activation is automatic thereafter.

See step 6 here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key [​IMG]

Superfly, Jan 17, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key

embedded OEM key

No, it doesn't. Again, (and again, and again) the previous version Windows key has nothing to do with Windows 10.

You upgrade the previous version of the OS in place first. The Windows 10 upgrade reads the activation of the previous operating system - NOT THE KEY. That creates a Windows 10 activation on Microsoft servers based on an ID created by the hardware profile - NOT THE KEY. Future activations of Windows 10 on that same computer will be based on comparing an ID created by the hardware profile - NOT THE KEY and will activate based upon comparing that hardware profile with what is stored on the Microsoft servers.

Again (and again and again) you upgrade the previous version of Windows in place - NO KEYS ARE INVOLVED. If you are upgrading and it is asking for a key, something is probably wrong, but you can skip entering the key and hope for the best. Once the upgrade is successful and activated - during future installs of Windows 10 you skip entering the key and it is supposed to activate based upon the information store on Microsoft servers - which has nothing to do with the previous version's key.

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key

1. Upgrade with current Product Key or Local Embedded Key - Similar Threads - Upgrade current Product

2. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key transfer and upgrade: I've just upgraded my desktop computer and installed a clean version of windows 11. My old system was running windows 10, and I would like to transfer the windows product key to the new system. This is linked to my microsoft account, however, is still under windows 10. The...
  3. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key transfer and upgrade: I've just upgraded my desktop computer and installed a clean version of windows 11. My old system was running windows 10, and I would like to transfer the windows product key to the new system. This is linked to my microsoft account, however, is still under windows 10. The...
  4. Product key transfer and upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  6. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip: I recently purchased a used lenovo m75q thinkcentre. When powered up it started with a new Windows user configuration that required a corporate login/email. Basically there was nothing I could do with the computer. I tried installing a new windows OS and even changed out the...
  7. Remove an OEM product key embedded in the UEFI firmware chip

8. Product Key for Digital Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key for Digital Upgrade: Trying to activate Win 10 Pro (just upgraded from Win 10 Home) to create an admin account. MS says it's in the receipt, but then says elsewhere if it was a digital download, you don't need one and just click on that option. Sorry, not seeing an option to continue withot a...
  9. Product Key/Upgrading help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Product Key/Upgrading help: I built my mom a PC some years back and used Windows 8.1 32-bit on it. She has since upgraded to Windows 10 Home but it is still 32-bit. I need to upgrade it to the 64-bit version. I know I will have to do full system wipe and reinstall but, will I need to buy a new product...
  10. embedded OEM key

embedded OEM key: Windows 10 install will not accept my embedded product key. What do I do now?? 14313