Windows 10: Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant

Discus and support Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I am having a similar but not exact issue.... Today I upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant direct from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MacHarley94, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant

Split from this thread.​

I am having a similar but not exact issue....

Today I upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant direct from within WIndows. After the download, verification, and install process I was greeted with the initial Win 10 logo along with the spinning wheel, but then the screen when blank and stayed that way.

After about 3 hours I thought maybe the computer locked up so I decided to power off the laptop by holding the power button for 10 seconds, followed by restarting. Again the Win 10 symbol and the spinning wheel appeared as if Win 10 was loading but then again it went blank even though I could hear the processor continue to work. Then all of the sudden I hear the Windows start 'chime' indicating that Windows had indeed loaded. On a whim I closed the lid which put the computer into sleep mode, followed by reopening the lid after about 30 seconds and when I did the display worked and I was able to navigate WIndows without an issue. This made me think it might be the display driver so I uninstalled the driver and restarted the computer only to be met with a blank screen again. So again I closed the lid and reopened it and once again I was able to see the display normally and watched the display driver reinstall. Unfortunately reinstalling the display driver had no effect, nor did turning off Fastboot in Power Options. I also ran Windows Update, and also confirmed that Windows was digitally activated.

So to recap, now that Win 10 ver 1903 is indeed installed.....when I first turn the computer on, or if I do a restart I am always greeted with a blank screen but Windows does indeed load because I can hear the Windows startup 'chime' after about 60 to 90 seconds. Then if I close the lid and wait about 15-30 seconds and then reopen the lid the display appears and everything works as it should. I can then close and reopen the lid (i.e. put the system to sleep and wake it up) as many times as I like and it works fine, but as soon as I shut it down or do a restart I am back to a blank screen.

Any ideas?

TY, Mark

:)

MacHarley94, Jul 4, 2019
  2. nkaufman Win User

How to upgrade customized win-7 to win-10

Hello,

I have a laptop with multiple partitions running 64-bit Win-7 Pro. While doing a fresh install, I followed Kari's tutorials and set up User Profile on another partition.

Based on the above, I was wondering what is the recommended approach to upgrade to Win-10.
    Would upgrade to Win-10 from windows updates recognize that User Profiles are in a different partition? If it does then that would be very helpful as I can - take a fresh image of C:\ with Win-7 just in case, upgrade to Win-10 and then make another image of C:\.

Any thoughts\suggestions\recommendations?

Thank you for your assistance.

nkaufman, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Complementary upgrade to Win 10 on the second laptop for personal use

I recently bought a refurbished Laptop with Win 7 preinstalled with a license key. I want to upgrade to Win 10, please help me with the next steps. Also, i have another laptop with Win 10 already installed, is it possible to use the same license key on
    my new laptop to upgrade?

SAUMENDUTTA1, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant

Hardware upgrade, several drives, OS drive, win 10 64bit, Best approach?

Between windows insider, win xp & 7-8 getting free upgrade to win 10 using same keys and free windows for user requiring assistive technology (& they are pretty loose with the terminology and definitions of assistive), its pretty easy to get a win10 legitimately w/o going to the dark side*Wink Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant ;) meaning its not like the windows 7/vista days when so many folks were using pirated environments

jboydgolfer, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant

1. Upgraded a Win 7 laptop using Win 10 Upgrade Assistant - Similar Threads - Upgraded laptop using

2. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have a really nice laptop that rarely get used that has Win 7 on it but it's becoming outdated and lost Microsoft support. It's a shame the Win 7 has reached it's end of life. Laptop works great. It MORE than has the capacity to run Win 10 Processor, Storage, Cache etc.....
  3. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  4. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  5. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  6. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: So I'm biting the bullet and finally upgrading to Win10 from Win7 (upgrading my computer from Win7 hardware to Win10). However I don't have a Win10 key directly, but I do hear you can upgrade from Win7 to 10 for free still. How would this work in my case? Would I install...
  7. win 7 to win 10 upgrade

win 7 to win 10 upgrade: attempting 7 to 10 upgrade with sony tv hdmi interface. Mode not supported and safe mode boot not possible. Do I need to get a vga or dvi cable?? Crazy! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-to-win-10-upgrade/880463d6-de67-487c-8428-403179fa6e36
  8. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  9. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...