Windows 10: Upgraded by mounting iso and running setup.exe

Discus and support Upgraded by mounting iso and running setup.exe in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Upgraded my Dell Inspiron 15R by mounting the iso I created from install.wim on a Oracle VB VM using WHS's ESD Converter tool. I copied the install.wim... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ztruker, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

Upgraded by mounting iso and running setup.exe

Upgraded my Dell Inspiron 15R by mounting the iso I created from install.wim on a Oracle VB VM using WHS's ESD Converter tool. I copied the install.wim to the ESD Converter folder on my Lenovo 450K 3.4 Quad Core with 16GB ram and ran it there to generate the iso. Took about 8 minutes.

Copied the iso to my Dell Inspiron 15R then right clicked on it and selected Mount.
    Ran startup.exe from the mounted iso to upgrade from 10041 to 10049.
    4 to 6 hours later (not sure how long as I went to bed) it finished and I have a fully functional laptop at the 10049 build level. Is there a log file of the upgrade and if so, where is it?

No flash drive or DVD needed, very nice and easy way to upgrade.

Surprisingly, no Windows.old was created. I had deleted Windows.old from the 10041 upgrade before doing this upgrade.

:)

Ztruker, Apr 2, 2015
  2. Lead3 Win User

windows 10 anniversary update

You're welcome. Run the iso from within Windows 10 to accomplish the upgrade.

Right click on the iso file and select Mount. This will mount the iso in a partition with a drive letter.

Click on the Setup.exe file and the upgrade will begin.

As always, first backup what you don't want to lose in case of a problem.

Lead3, Apr 2, 2015
  3. failed windows update

Nope.Download the ISO, mount it and run the setup.exe

Sumit Dhiman2, Apr 2, 2015
Thema:

Upgraded by mounting iso and running setup.exe

1. Upgraded by mounting iso and running setup.exe - Similar Threads - Upgraded mounting iso

2. Windows can't mount ISO

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows can't mount ISO: When I try to mount .iso file with Windows Explorer, a blue loading circle appears for 2-3 minutes and I get this error: Sorry, there was a problem mounting the file. My ISO is not broken, I m sure because I can extract it with Winrar and I can mount it in another PC. I tried...
  3. Can not run .exe file. chrome setup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can not run .exe file. chrome setup: I need to install chrome so when i go to chrome.google.com i download the For Windows 10/8.1/8/7 64-bit. Once it downloads i open it, my cursor shows the loading symbol, but it never opens. any ideas on why?...
  4. Error while mounting ISO

Error while mounting ISO: I've tried a variety of methods to mount various ISO's (which are fine, I can open them in 7ZIP) and no dice. The powershell method gives me an error message... mount-diskimage -imagepath "X:\new build\DAW\NI Installers\cuba.iso" mount-diskimage : The semaphore timeout...
  5. Iso file mounting

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Iso file mounting: I want to know if you can delete the ISO File right after you mount it, does it keep mounted? Because I am having low space in my driver and I want to install this app, but the size is bigger than my available space so that's why. 144282
  6. ISO Files Won't Mount

ISO Files Won't Mount: [ATTACH] Hello, I've been having trouble with opening/mounting ISO files. These problems didn't happen before and have never happened before, so you can imagine my bewilderment. I click on the ISO files and my computer appears to be processing it, since I get the hour glass...
  7. Windows 10 Mount Iso

Windows 10 Mount Iso: I cannot mount ISO files in Windows 10 anymore. I used to right click on it and click Mount. I've read online that the fix for this is to right click on the file, click Open With and select Windows Explorer. However, that is not an option. The only option I have is Windows...
  8. Mount DVD ISO

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mount DVD ISO: Hey guys, I have a copy of Battle for Middle Earth and I want to be able to play it without the disc since I have no optical drive. Currently I use an external optical drive every time I want to play but it's becoming quite a hassle. I've searched for a long time trying to...
  9. mount an ISO at boot?

mount an ISO at boot?: Since we can boot to Command Prompt in Windows 10 is it possible to mount an ISO directly from that? Assume I didn't burn the ISO or load it to USB first. In my case System File Checker is asking for a drive letter to use as a reference file system. 46093
  10. Mounting ISO file

Mounting ISO file: I just recently updated from windows 7 to windows 10 I use ISO files regularly and need to get this fixed. I am unable to mount any iso files or even run and iso mounting software. I keep reading that all i have to do is select the file and i should be given the option either...