Windows 10: Upgraded Fleet to Windows 10 Version 20H2 - Offline Files Access denied

Discus and support Upgraded Fleet to Windows 10 Version 20H2 - Offline Files Access denied in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, For 9 years running from OS's ranging from 7 through 10, 2 years ago all fleet was moved to 10, but still using 2012 R2 DC's, Offline folders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by YakAdmin, Oct 22, 2020.

1. YakAdmin Win User

Upgraded Fleet to Windows 10 Version 20H2 - Offline Files Access denied

Hello,

For 9 years running from OS's ranging from 7 through 10, 2 years ago all fleet was moved to 10, but still using 2012 R2 DC's, Offline folders has worked without major issue's.

Last night Manage Engines Desktop Central pushed out the new version of Windows 10 20H2 to my fleet of 50 windows 10 Pro Laptops.

There was no issue in my replicated environment!

This morning the lions share of this fleet has issues now with offline files and the CSC Cache, whereby if a user tries to access a file within their cached Profile Folder [Desktop. Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc...] are met with a message, Access Denied, contact your administrator.

NOTE: It is not the traditional Authentication Access Denied prompt to enter in a username and password, its a message only on the file.

If I disable the Offline Files, the DNS path works fine, files are accessible.

I have a separate DNS record for Offline files "\\FileSVR\UP\%profileDIR%" from the servers true hostname, allowing me to cache the path separately from non-cached paths. this has worked flawlessly over the last 15 years of using offline files.

If I try to access a cached file, I am met with access denied, if I go to the true hostname, circumventing offline files, the file opens fine, if offline folders are disabled, the files open fine.

Our Offline Folders Config is very light and is in the same GPO as Folder Redirection:

• Allowed: Enabled
    • Encryption: Enabled
    • Slow-Link: Enabled +5ms
    • Path: SET

I have performed the following standard processes to fix profile issues:

• Cleared the CSC cache with FormatDatabase
    • Turned off encryption
    • Removed the user's profile from the computer via User Profile store

However, it seems as soon as offline files are enabled again the access denied issue reoccurs.

I have disabled offline files now in our environment and users are only able to access their profile folders once connected to the VPN when out of office, this obviously undesirable, but its kept them going.

It looks like I might have to role the fleet back to 2004, which is a massive PITA.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try before I take this step?

Thanks very much.

:)

YakAdmin, Oct 22, 2020
  2. Jelu Cal Win User

offline files acces denied (file name database.xml)

Hi,

Access issues with offline files can be due to the changes in the configuration of the device and/or the host/server. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• If you're using the Windows Sync Center application to access/manage your offline files.
    • If you're referring to the use of the OneDrive application.
    • If your device is managed by a domain or an organization.
    • The exact error messages that you're getting when accessing the files.
    • The version and build of Windows 10 that you're using on your device. To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link

In the meantime, we'd recommend performing the following steps to verify the status of the offline file access on your device:

• Search and launch Control Panel using Cortana.
    • In the Search Control Panel box, type offline.
    • Under Sync Center, click Manage offline files.
    • In the Offline Files pop-up window, check if its enabled.

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Oct 22, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Version 1703 Access Denied to Schedule for Offline Files

We had no issue in version 1607 but new machines with version 1703 does not allow me to access the schedule for offline files. The exact error is:

Sync Schedule Error: An error occurred displaying sync schedules.

Error: 0x8007005 - Access is denied

I see that a lot of people are posting about this & looking for solutions but so far no response from Microsoft.

Now that newer notebooks are arriving with Version 1703 already on them, I can't even roll back to previous versions. My only option has been to format and start over with an older copy of Win 10, Version 1607 & make sure the offline folder schedule is set
    before Windows forces it's version 1703 update on me.

There are several suggestions out there about A) disabling/re-enabling offline files or, B) making sure no encryption is turned on or, C) taking ownership of the offline folders etc but none of those solutions have worked for myself or many others who are
    asking about this.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Norm.Andrews, Oct 22, 2020
  4. Upgraded Fleet to Windows 10 Version 20H2 - Offline Files Access denied

Windows 10 Version 1703 Access Denied to Schedule for Offline Files

We had no issue in version 1607 but new machines with version 1703 does not allow me to access the schedule for offline files. The exact error is:

Sync Schedule Error: An error occurred displaying sync schedules.

Error: 0x8007005 - Access is denied

I see that a lot of people are posting about this & looking for solutions but so far no response from Microsoft.

Now that newer notebooks are arriving with Version 1703 already on them, I can't even roll back to previous versions. My only option has been to format and start over with an older copy of Win 10, Version 1607 & make sure the offline folder schedule is set
    before Windows forces it's version 1703 update on me.

There are several suggestions out there about A) disabling/re-enabling offline files or, B) making sure no encryption is turned on or, C) taking ownership of the offline folders etc but none of those solutions have worked for myself or many others who are
    asking about this.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Norm.Andrews, Oct 22, 2020
Thema:

Upgraded Fleet to Windows 10 Version 20H2 - Offline Files Access denied

1. Upgraded Fleet to Windows 10 Version 20H2 - Offline Files Access denied - Similar Threads - Upgraded Fleet Version

2. Access to file denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access to file denied: Files from previous account held in new account but access denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-file-denied/68d6af4c-32bd-4077-885c-45af79360b2e
  3. Access to file denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access to file denied: Files from previous account held in new account but access denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-to-file-denied/68d6af4c-32bd-4077-885c-45af79360b2e
  4. Upgrade Windows 10 version 1903 to 2004 by offline

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Windows 10 version 1903 to 2004 by offline: Hello Everyone, Can you help me to find solution to upgrade Windows 10 version 1903 to 2004 by offline. Thank you so much. Best regards,Thearith...
  5. Minimum Version of Windows 10 to upgrade 20H2

Minimum Version of Windows 10 to upgrade 20H2: Hello.I'm SCCM technician and in our client we have Windows clients and we have W10 Pro and Enterprise since 1507 version to 20h2 and i'm looking for what minimum version of Windows 10 it's necessary to upgrade to 20H2.Thanks all!!...
  6. file access denied windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file access denied windows 10: windows 10 permission type deny on files after update there are all kinds of answers to how to fix this but what i want is it happened in the first placethere are several file on my pc now that have the with the type deny and account everyone so that the only way i can...
  7. Windows 10 Version 20H2 Upgrade Problem

Windows 10 Version 20H2 Upgrade Problem: I decided to install the 20H2 upgrade on my 2 PCs this morning. Both were running version 2004. All went fine on my laptop, but I'm left with a problem on my desktop PC. The upgrade appeared to complete normally as shown in the specs (see screenshot) however I was left with...
  8. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Access Denied: I am trying to add a comment to a URL shortcut on my desktop. So, I right click the file, choose Properties, then Details. I fill in the Description field. I hit Apply and get: File Access Denied - You'll need to provide administrator permission to apply properties to this...
  9. Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied (Windows 10 version)

Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied (Windows 10 version): I have Windows 10 and it appears that I had a recent update. Here is my story in outline form 1) About two days ago after logging in to my Windows 10 account, the result was flashing black and white with an error message I could not read. 2) I sought to address the...
  10. File Access Denied

in Windows 10 Support
    File Access Denied: I get the following message when I try to 'save, 'save as' or 'paste': File Access Denied You require permission from Unix User\nobody to make changes to this file. I have no idea was to what causes this nor have I made any security changes. Any ideas? 29590