Windows 10: Upgraded from 7 to 10 and encoutered an avalanche of nightmares

Discus and support Upgraded from 7 to 10 and encoutered an avalanche of nightmares in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; That is still going on. Every single day for the last four or five days has been a nightmare. A (not comprehensive) sample of my problems so far: -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jerriy, Aug 4, 2016.

1. jerriy Win User

Upgraded from 7 to 10 and encoutered an avalanche of nightmares

That is still going on. Every single day for the last four or five days has been a nightmare. A (not comprehensive) sample of my problems so far:

- Show windows side by side no longer works
    - Creating an image copy after "remove properties and personal information" is no longer possible.
    - The the taskbar's "show windows side by side" function is FUBAR: the number of windows open and active no longer match the number that Windows 10 is pretending to be open.
    - And now (this one triggered my post here) I got expelled from operating the "mouse" settings. A pop up shows up with the message "windows cannot access the specified file. You may not have the apt permissions..."
    - can't find my admin privilege. It has disappeared into a black hole. "User" settings in control panel has nothing in it other than my ability to create other accounts. It can no longer assigns privileges to itself or others - there used to be "privilege boxes" I could tick in windows 7 - where are those?

I can live w/ most of those listed but those last two things are simply not acceptable. I use a mouse and I need the settings and I do not accept being reduced to a de facto "guest" on my own device without asking for it.

But I also came to this forum not only to reclaim my PC but to get advice whether I got duped into upgrading to a rubbish OS and will be far better off reverting this and going back to 7 and letting the PC run its course cuz this is getting ridiculous by the day.

:)

jerriy, Aug 4, 2016

2. Like many others my computer freeze!!!

My computer upgrade from win 7 to win 10 and encouter a black screen Whatshould I do?

SantiYacharn, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10: Make it Stop!

Hello all! I have already uninstalled the "KB3035583" Installation. I have tuned my updates settings to, "you're being a jerk, let me handle this myself." And
    yet, no matter what I do, they keep coming. Like the avalanche of **** girls swarming over discount 1Direction tickets, they keep coming. The windows, the ultimatums, the nightmare that is the Windows 10 "upgrade." I do not want Windows 10 to be installed,
    upgraded or anything anywhere near my computer. I want it gone. I want it to never pop up on my computer ever again. I would like to obliterate its existence from my alleged Personal Computer.

Please Help Me.

Higgy Higglett, Aug 4, 2016
  4. Upgraded from 7 to 10 and encoutered an avalanche of nightmares

We can try to resolve the issues one by one.. which may consume a lot of time..
    I have seen issues when upgrading using media creation tool or auto update..

Try a clean OS installation... instead..
    If you mobo supports UEFI .. do an installation in UEFI secure boot Off

manish9009, Aug 4, 2016
  5. jerriy Win User
    clean OS installation is not an option. I'm not going to spend one cent on Windows 10 nor other software that I already have in my PC and would have to be installed anew (retrieving original installation of some of these programs is not feasible as it esquires me to buy a plane ticket and fly across oceans).

For now I've reverted the last update (so called anniversary update) and was able to get back my mouse and admin privileges.

Now what I want is a blockade of that anniversary update.

jerriy, Aug 5, 2016
  6. Porthos Win User
    You don't own your other software? Or have the disks?

Win 10 will never cost you money on THAT computer no mater how many times you reinstall it.

Porthos, Aug 5, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    Since you already upgraded your computer, you will be able to clean install for free using your existing key. Just skip where it asks for the key and you should find it already activated by the time you get to the desktop. A clean install is the best way to resolve this amount of problems.

Its quite common for users who have upgraded from Windows 7 to have encountered lots of errors.

Windows not being able to access various user files is one side effect of upgrading for some people and with the above, you shouldn't have this issue.

Also for drivers, it'l be a lot cleaner as there may be some residual Windows 7 drivers that may cause problems.

I would really give Windows 10 a good chance as it does perform better than 7.

swarfega, Aug 5, 2016
  8. aardvark Win User

I think the OPs system specs need to be factored into the equation.

aardvark, Aug 5, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    You could try a repair install first which avoids the need to reinstall everything - be sure to have a backup.

Steve C, Aug 5, 2016
  10. U dont have to but windows 10 as it was already installed on computer once your Hard ware ID is registerd and MS wont ask for Product key.
    AS per paid application in your Computer Try using Belark which will give you most of the product keys.

manish9009, Aug 6, 2016
  11. Belrac Advisor

Slartybart, Aug 6, 2016
  12. Try these things:

• Create a new test user profile
      - many times a profile becomes fubar. If the new user works fine, you can use that or correct the old one.

• Create a 40 GB partition and clean install Win 10 1607 on that partition.
      It will create a dual boot (the top one is the new one - both will say Windows 10 ... you can change that to Win10-clean and make the other boot the default)

• To stop the 1607 update
      • Set your connection to Metered

• Uninstall the 1607 update

• Run Windows update - do not download or install

• Use the Show Hide diag cab to hide the 1607 update.
        This is temporary as the next cumulative update will get through.
        Better to fix it now or have to revisit in a few months.

The clean install is the preferred solution, you have a digital license for Windows 10 since you already updated (it's been reported that you can still upgrade after the 29 July 2016 deadline with valid Win7 or Win8 license keys - but that extension won't last forever) and most application software can be downloaded and installed with a key (Belarc report)
    - but see how a new user profile behaves.

I might not be on-line to help with the suggestions, but there are many knowledgeable members who can help you through the process(es). Almost everything I suggested has a thread in the Tutorials section.

Slartybart, Aug 6, 2016
  13. jerriy Win User

I followed your advice and did a clean/reset install

That only resulted in a compete shut down of two things: volume and internet connections (for some inexplicable reason stuff in "services" gets automatically switched off all by itself (network stuff and the "windowns Audio"). I did troubleshoot after troubleshoot after trobuleshoot - All I got was a "Windows couldn't find any problem with your network connections.

Needless to say that was the last straw.

I immediately cut off the power form my PC & installed Ubuntu. And when this laptop dies I will finally be buying an apple. You lost a customer that had used Windows non stop since its inception (since MS-DOS days).

jerriy, Aug 7, 2016
  14. There are no customers here - only volunteers *Wink

Had you said that you were going to Clean install, I would have pointed you to this tutorial:

Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

There are a number of reasons that clean installs fail. Mostly they are not clean.
    The tutorial covers almost every conceivable gotcha, except for hardware incompatibility.

Since you didn't fill in your specs, no one knows. It might be well suited for Linux Ubuntu, but not well suited for Win10.

If you want members to help, please update the Systems Specs in your forum profile with complete information.

• In the System Manufacturer/Model Number field, manually type Desktop or Laptop adding it to the information already in the field. The specific model number is important - there are often many models of a given series.
      For example, my machine is a HP Pavilion dv6, but there are tens of the dv6 series, so dv6-6c10us is the specific model.

• Specify Custom Build as the manufacturer if it is not an OEM machine.
    The easiest way to do this is to use the information from a PUBLISHED Speccy report.
    See: Speccy - Publish Snapshot of your System Specs

Post the link to the report that Speccy gives you and also open the Speccy link.
    Then click here to view your System Specs on this forum.

When you have both windows open, put them side-by-side and simply copy the information, field by field, from the Speccy report to your System Specs.

To see what information other members provide in their System Specs, click on My System Specs in the lower left of any post by any member.

Thanks

Slartybart, Aug 7, 2016
  15. jerriy Win User
    Added my specs, but i's a complete waste.

There's no need to bother because I forgot to clarify earlier that I noticed it wasn't the actual/initial installations but the following scheduled windows update that kills volume and internet.

Both the original conversion from 7 as well as the clean reset were working properly as far as sound and internet connection was concerned (they had other problems I listed above but like I said I could ignore those). What I couldn't ignore was what came AFTER I installed everything and worked on my PC that day and then let windows updates take over. That's always the moment when things went dramatically worse. That's when minor annoyances make way for major cockups.

I see no point in bothering with a correct install if Micorsoft Update keeps coming along to ruin everything. It's up to Microsoft to either provide a properly working update or provide us a choice to avoid updates that actively kill the most basic of functions.

jerriy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded from 7 to 10 and encoutered an avalanche of nightmares - Similar Threads - Upgraded encoutered avalanche

2. upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade from 7 to 10: am i too late to update from windows 7 to windows 10 this is the first time ive had the laptop out in years https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-7-to-10/ef5d3dba-fa41-432d-b6a2-58e43bd67771
  3. upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade from 7 to 10: am i too late to update from windows 7 to windows 10 this is the first time ive had the laptop out in years https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-7-to-10/ef5d3dba-fa41-432d-b6a2-58e43bd67771
  4. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and the right to upgrade to Windows 10. I did not want to upgrade because my 7 was working fine. Now I want to upgrade.When I just now tried to use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I could do the upgrade, it said it was "unable to...
  5. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I bought a new computer with Windows 7 and the right to upgrade to Windows 10. I did not want to upgrade because my 7 was working fine. Now I want to upgrade.When I just now tried to use Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if I could do the upgrade, it said it was "unable to...
  6. Upgrade from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade from 7 to 10: I'm trying to upgrade from windows 7 to 10 and I meet reqs it's been stuck at 30%for a while any tips? submitted by /u/Cewz1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ka0vfm/upgrade_from_7_to_10/
  7. Upgrading from 7 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from 7 to 10: Hi all. I’ve backed up all files on my W7 build. I am planning to use my W7 key to license W10. I’ve seen tutorials on how to do the upgrade using the media creation tool. My questions is: can I use my W7 key to register a clean install of W10 or will I only be able to use my...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade nightmare

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade nightmare: Hello. I have an SSD over here with a old Windows 10 installation (build16299.492) which is the Fall Creators Update and for whatever reason I have serious trouble with upgrading to the latest build. Lately I noticed that I wasn't getting any updates whatsoever. So not only...
  9. windows 10 1903 upgrade nightmare

windows 10 1903 upgrade nightmare: hello, I completed about a week without successful 1903 windows 10 update. The pc keeps running and running. I have tried with direct update from windows configuration. Last I tried with an iso windows downloaded and burned on a dvd disc. Previous trials a black screen with...
  10. Upgrading from 7 to 10

Upgrading from 7 to 10: I just want to know if I upgrade from W7 to W10 will all of my applications be removed (eg. do I have to re-install all my apps)? 11028