Windows 10: Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It.

Discus and support Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want you to know that I did do my research but could not find the answer that I need. My Lenovo T430 laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 64 when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JamesStonelake, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It.

I want you to know that I did do my research but could not find the answer that I need. My Lenovo T430 laptop came pre-installed with Windows 7 64 when I bought it in 2012. My OS was/isfully legitimate. The only hardware that I upgraded was RAM and I switched out the hard drive for a Samsung 850 SSD. Otherwise the system remained as is and MS continued to view the OS as genuine. When I proceeded to upgrade to Windows 10 I: a backed up my system, b made sure it was fully updated, c scanned for viruses/malware there was no infection, d cleaned the temporary internet files, etc. Then using the MS install tool I commenced to upgrade to Windows 10 without issue. But MS is saying that it needs to be activated and is not genuine. Honestly, I am stumped because two other laptops and two PCs that I upgraded within the same week recognizes 10.

Now I can run the laptop fine, do work, etc. But the "Check for Updates" is grayed out and if I have read correctly I can run 10 for 30 days before certain aspects no longer function. I sure could use your advice. Thanks.​

:)

JamesStonelake, Jan 13, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Jan 13, 2020
  3. windows 7 8 or 10

We can kick Windows 8.1 to the curb right away. Windows 10, in tablet mode, is effectively identical...not that I would recommend using tablet mode.

The only advantage Windows 8.1 has over Windows 10 is Windows Media Center. Windows 10 doesn't have it and likely will never support it. Microsoft wants you to buy an Xbox One and use that, instead of your computer, for media, and then stream it to your Windows 10 machine from the Xbox One. Windows Media Center on 7 seems to not be getting updates anymore (worked off of Vista guide info which shut down). Windows Media Center on 8.1 costs $10 to upgrade on Pro or $100 to upgrade on Home.

The Windows 7 upgrade (should still work for about 10 months yet) requires:
    1) Install Windows 7.
    2) Activate Windows 7.
    3) Upgrade to Windows 10.
    4) Activate Windows 10.
    At this point, you could either stay with Windows 10 or downgrade to Windows 7 by doing a clean install.

Personally, I would go with Windows 10. It has some bugs but it is pretty good overall.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Nordic Win User

Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It.

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It.

1. Upgraded from 7 to 10 but Windows 10 Says I need to Activate It. - Similar Threads - Upgraded Says need

2. Upgraded windows 7 to 10 activation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded windows 7 to 10 activation: I upgraded my windows 7 home premium to windows 10 and then changed some hardware. Now computer is telling me to activate windows again but my old code won't work. Did i get a new code when i upgraded? I still have the certificate of authenticity....
  3. Activation of windows 10 home after upgrade from 7

Activation of windows 10 home after upgrade from 7: I just got a new ssd to replace my old had and installed it in my Sony vaio and installed windows 10 with my USB bootable drive. I tried to activate using the original product key under the battery on the vaio for windows 7 premium and it says servers aren't available right...
  4. Need Windows 10 Key upgraded from Windows 7

Need Windows 10 Key upgraded from Windows 7: Dear Team, I had upgraded from Windows-7 to Windows-10 during 2015. Now my HDD is corrupted and I have replaced it with a new one. I have only Windows-7 original serial number. How to get the new serial number corresponding? Thanks and Regards Chandrashekhar...
  5. Windows upgrade from 7 enterprise to 10 enterprise activation

Windows upgrade from 7 enterprise to 10 enterprise activation: I just upgraded from Windows 7 enterprise to Windows 10 enterprise and can't activate it. How do I get a digital liscence? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-7-enterprise-to-10-enterprise/d10b9b2b-2d9d-4111-b8f8-485b514f7554"
  6. Upgraded from 7 to 10 unable to activate

Upgraded from 7 to 10 unable to activate: Hi, a while back we received a notice that we could upgrade our Windows 7 to 10 free. This was done by my then techie....some 3 years ago. 2 of the PCs now show that Windows requires activation. If I try using the key from the sticker on the PC tower Windows 7 it says it is...
  7. I need advice upgrading to windows 7 from windows 10

I need advice upgrading to windows 7 from windows 10: Windows 10 is steaming garbage that's had several blue screens in the first year of owning. My windows 7 PC lasted me 7 years and i dont recall a single blue screen error. Also windows 10 has the most stupid features that they don't make optional. It's ridiculous to force...
  8. Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, will I need to upgrade Microsoft version of word...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, will I need to upgrade Microsoft version of word...: My Hp Pavilion computer is 9 years old. There is nothing wrong with it but I need to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 since windows 7 will no longer be supported as of January 1, 2020. A local computer shop recommended I just upgrade computer and put a larger hard drive in like...
  9. Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!

Upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, but Will not Activate!: Hi, A couple of months ago I decided to finally upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I didn't do a clean install, I just went through the upgrade process. Everything went smoothly, and I've been loving everything about windows 10 since then, but today it started to...
  10. I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I Need Assistance Reverting to Windows 7 from Windows 10 "Upgrade": I have a Lenovo B560 laptop on loan to me from my job. It was lent to me as a Windows 7 (pre-installed) machine and has the product key on the bottom. A well-meaning member of my household “upgraded” the computer to Windows 10 via the “Get Windows 10” upgrade offer that...