Windows 10: Upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10. Did a clean install, but now problem.

Discus and support Upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10. Did a clean install, but now problem. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a brand new laptop. Only thing loaded on it was the Windows 8.1 OS. The "Get Windows 10" app said that I qualified for a free upgrade to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Javarox, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Javarox Win User

Upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10. Did a clean install, but now problem.

This is a brand new laptop. Only thing loaded on it was the Windows 8.1 OS. The "Get Windows 10" app said that I qualified for a free upgrade to Windows 10. After reading an article on how to do a clean install of Windows 10, I did the following:

1. Upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.
    2. Downloaded the Media Creation Tool.
    3. Used the MCT to create a bootable USB on a 16GB USB flash drive.
    4. Booted from the flash drive, did a clean install of Windows 10 (essentially, formatted the drive to load the OS)
    5. During installation, got a window asking for product key. Since the article said to skip this (because Windows would 'remember' my previous activation for this laptop) I did so.
    6. Installation completed without a hitch.

Now, however, Windows 10 is acting like I don't have an activated version. I keep getting messages like "You can personalize this PC until it is Activated". But... it WAS activated before I did the clean install. I messed around with the OS, checking out different features, before doing the clean install.

My question is, why is this happening? I tried rolling back to Windows 8 (Pressing F3 on boot) but there is no option to go back to Windows 8.1, only Windows 10.

So, what should/can I do to get around this aggravating issue?

Thanks!

:)

Javarox, Jul 30, 2015

2. Reset my Windows 10 PC went back to Windows 8.1

I have this same problem. I upgraded some time ago to Win 10. Recently used 'reset this PC' clean install and it reset to Win 8.1. Now my problem is not 'performing a clean instal using Reset this PC in Win 10' - but how to make this (now) Win 8.1 machine
    retrieve its upgrade to Win 10.

StephenMartin6, Jul 30, 2015
  3. downgrade windows 10 pro to home

Hi Andre

Wondering if this is my problems with my laptop.

New Laptop with 8.1 (standard) pre-installed.

Upgraded to Win 10 (didn't look if that was pro or home)

Win 10 activated but was unstable

Did a clean install from Win 10 (apparently that's a no)

Now sitting with activation problems with Win 10 Pro.

Could the problem be linked to the "surprise upgrade in first class"

Pulling my hair out waiting for Microsoft to help, over a week of frustration. The best they offer is re-install 8.1 loose everything I have already setup and try again

MilesSowden, Jul 30, 2015
  4. EziaN Win User

I did a clean install as well from a Windows 10 ISO and it worked like a charm.

Did you check to see if the upgraded Windows 10 was activated before you did the clean install?

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  5. Javarox Win User
    Well, I had typed out a longer response, but it didn't post for some reason. Anyway, long story short, Windows 10 was activated before I did the clean install.

Javarox, Jul 30, 2015
  6. EziaN Win User
    I'm not sure how Microsoft keeps track of activation after making a clean install, but i've made a clean install on 4 pc's without activation issues, are you connected to the internet during installation?

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  7. Javarox Win User
    Yes, it was connected during installation.

Javarox, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Javarox Win User

I'm going to try and re-do the installation and see what happens. I'll just reboot from the USB drive and let it do it's thing all over again. We'll see what happens.

Javarox, Jul 30, 2015
  9. I read an article earlier talking about sometimes it takes activation awhile to kick in. They were talking about Day 1 and servers being hammered... so not sure how hammered there still getting... but maybe what a few hours and if worse comes to worse you could call MS if it doesn't activate by tomorrow.

EDIT: Found this on MS site...

You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1 Update

If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free and ended up in a non-activated state, try following these steps:

• Go to Start
      Upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10.  Did a clean install, but now problem. [​IMG]
      , then select Settings > Update & security > Activation.
    • Select Go to Store, and check to see if a valid license is available for your device. If a license isn't available, you'll need to buy Windows from the Store.

(I have to laugh how they say you will have to buy it though! Seriously? If it's suppose to be free for a year then you would think there would be something they can do.)

MortTheBeast, Jul 30, 2015
  10. EziaN Win User
    You'll probably have better luck by installing windows 8 again and then doing the whole process again

EziaN, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Javarox Win User
    Thanks! I will try this and see what happens... if this latest install doesn't work.

Javarox, Jul 31, 2015
  12. Javarox Win User
    I'd love to roll back, but it appears that Windows 10 install overwrote my recovery partition and replaced it with a Windows 10 recovery partition.

Javarox, Jul 31, 2015
  13. EziaN Win User

If you can get your hands on a Windows 8 or 8.1 depending on your pc's original OS you can install it from the iso, it will load your windows 8 key into the install automatically

EziaN, Jul 31, 2015
  14. Javarox Win User
    Yeah, I wish that I knew someone with the disc to install from, or even an .iso, but I don't. No worries, though, I may figure this out yet. Thanks for your help!

Javarox, Jul 31, 2015
  15. EziaN Win User
    For Windows 8.1: Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

for some reason i can't find one for Windows 8.0

EziaN, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Upgraded from 8.1 to Win 10. Did a clean install, but now problem. - Similar Threads - Upgraded Did clean

2. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  3. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...: did a clean install of win 10 with win 10 installation disk on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean" install is using 3 quarters of the ssd. trying to find a way to format said ssd without success. Is there a utility out there that can override window's...
  4. did a clean install of win 10 on an ssd with a previous win 10 installation, the "clean"...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  6. cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10

cant upgrade from win 8 to win 10: 1. I have bought a genuine key of wins 10 pro 2. I had downloaded windows upgrade assistant and it started its work and after downlaoding 100% it says windows needs your attention on this ……. the following app is not compatible with windows uninstall it manually but...
  7. Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Did A Clean Install Before Upgrading Now Win 10 Won't Activate: Ever since upgrading I've been running into issues such as not being able to install updates and not being able to customize my desktop. After doing some research, it seems that this is because my copy of Win 10 is not activated. As the title states, not knowing better, I...
  8. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  9. Win 10 Clean install problem

Win 10 Clean install problem: Hi, new member seeking help. I removed a bad HDD, noisy but working, and replaced it with an SSD and tried a few times to install Win 10 without success. It completes then says it will reboot in 10 seconds and when it does it starts the process over and over. I did a lot...
  10. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?: As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey. 40889