Windows 10: Upgraded from Home to Pro

Discus and support Upgraded from Home to Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. My Question is, It does uses the same activation key, right ? I got NO email with a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ChristianBearslyClark, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Upgraded from Home to Pro

I have Upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.

My Question is, It does uses the same activation key, right ?

I got NO email with a new key tho. My Microsoft account didn't told me on anything with a new key.

.....so .... I am all good with the same key from Home version to Pro version, right ? ? ?

:)

ChristianBearslyClark, Jul 16, 2020

2. Can't upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro

Hi Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you in the best possible ways.

I suggest you to download and create an installation media for Windows 10 Pro form the link provided below:

Download Windows 10

After the installation media is created, suggest you to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from the installation media. When the upgrade asks for product key, enter the product key purchased for Windows 10 Pro. If it does not accept, suggest you to skip the activation
    step. After the Operating System is installed, suggest you to activate by phone by following the steps below:

• Press “Windows key + R” and type “slui 4” and press Enter.
    • Select the Region from the list and click Next.
    • Call the Toll-Free number provided on top and can activate via phone.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 16, 2020
  3. cereberus Win User
    Upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro?

Well, I just installed 10 Home 16299 as a dual boot in a VM that has Pro installed and activated, and I never have installed Home in this VM, and went to activation menu to try and see what happens if I enter a generic key, and it was activated as Home - that I do not understand!

Anyway, I entered generic key and it accepted it and did upgrade.

It did not accept it on a VM without a PRO digital licence.

So here is how to upgrade Home to Pro if it will not accept OEM licence to upgrade. Key steps only - not detail.

1) create a vhd

2) boot from media creation tool

3) press shift+f10 to get to command prompt

4) attach vhd and install 10 pro in vhd

5) activate 10 pro with oem key

6) reboot to Home

7) enter generic VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T key and Home will upgrade and activate

8) delete pro vhd from step 1, and remove boot entry (msconfig)/

I know this works (apart from step 5 as I do not have a pro oem key - only a retail one but I see no reason why it would not activate assuming key is valid.

cereberus, Jul 16, 2020
  4. Upgraded from Home to Pro

Win 10 upgrade from Home to Pro Try Again Later

Hi Shawn,

We appreciate you for being a part of Windows 10.

We need more information to help you better.

• Are you able to open and access Windows store normally?
      • As you said that you tried to use different work account, is the work account connected to domain network?
      • Are you working on any .NET applications?
    As you are get the error while you try to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro through Windows store, follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1:

Try to reset the Windows store cache and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard to open run command prompt.
    • Enter the wsreset.exe in the run text box and hit Enter key on the keyboard.
    If the issue still persist, follow the below step.

Step 2:

I suggest you to re-register Windows store and check if it helps. Follow the suggestions in
    Method 3 provided by Giridhar J on August 25, 2015 in the below thread to re-register Windows store.

Error Code 0x80070002 while installing apps from Store in Windows 10

Reference: As a reference, you may follow the suggestions provided by the
    Andre Da Costa on June 2, 2015 and check if it helps.

How to upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Pro?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/c9a02c08-1670-4e93-b1f5-8401cd42b0f1

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

Upgraded from Home to Pro

1. Upgraded from Home to Pro - Similar Threads - Upgraded Home Pro

2. upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade from home to pro: hi, i recently have the problem my pc started to ask me to activate windows even if i had it 2 years ago.... i just bought a product key of windows 10 pro and currently i have w10 home... may i ask if i can upgrade it or not...
  3. upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from home to pro: hi, i recently have the problem my pc started to ask me to activate windows even if i had it 2 years ago.... i just bought a product key of windows 10 pro and currently i have w10 home... may i ask if i can upgrade it or not...
  4. Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Home to Pro: I want to upgrade my PC from Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro. Can I do this without having to do a complete install? I don't want to lose my files and Apps. Also, in case it makes a difference, I am on the Release Preview version of the Insider Program. Any help much...
  5. Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Home to Pro: I want to upgrade my PC from Windows 11 Home to Windows 11 Pro. Can I do this without having to do a complete install? I don't want to lose my files and Apps. Also, in case it makes a difference, I am on the Release Preview version of the Insider Program. Any help much...
  6. upgrade from home to pro

upgrade from home to pro: i have a HP DESKTOP WITH WINDOWS HOME INSTALLED. i purchased an upgrade on 08/12/2020. i have tried numerous times and it fails the install. it has a digital key code. the upgrade says that the home edition may not be valid. I tried using the generic activation code and...
  7. Upgrade from home to pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from home to pro: If I upgrade to "Windows 10 Pro" from "Home" is my "Home" license still valid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-home-to-pro/a78fe5c9-84bd-421f-bb3c-b27f9b5b7073"
  8. Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Home to Pro: Just wondering, if I happen to upgrade my Windows 10 from Home to Pro, what will happen to my Home activation key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-home-to-pro/ae4c447a-f850-4ffc-835e-f99d0764b553"
  9. Upgrade to Pro from Home

Upgrade to Pro from Home: I have a license for Pro but my computer died a sudden death. The new one I ordered has the Home edition. Will I be able to upgrade to the Pro version on the new system? I would think so but you never know. 118760
  10. Upgrade from Home to Pro

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrade from Home to Pro: I recently got a Lenovo Yoga 3 14 with Win 10 Home Pre-Installed. I want the Pro version to have access to the Group Policy Editor and other Pro features. If I buy the $99 upgrade can that be transferred to another computer if I decided to return this Lenovo and buy something...