Windows 10: Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or Windows 8.1?

Discus and support Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or Windows 8.1? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Normally, I go to Belarc Advisor to check what things are on my computer. I happen to do that today as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by domkey, Aug 7, 2015.

1. domkey Win User

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or Windows 8.1?

I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Normally, I go to Belarc Advisor to check what things are on my computer. I happen to do that today as I wondered how it had changed since my last check there on Windows 7. I was shocked to see--not Windows 10 operating system, but it listed Windows 8.1 Build 9600 instead. Has anyone else had this happen? I checked my computer in the registry and it says Windows 10, so if that is the case where in the world would Belarc Advisor get Windows 8.1? I am wondering if I was misled.

:)

domkey, Aug 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Aug 7, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Just ran it on mine and it says Windows 10 Professional (x64) (build 10240).

Could it be reading a product key stored in Bios? Did you downgrade to Windows 7 from an OEM Windows 8.1 that came with the computer from the manufacturer?

Open a command prompt and type winver
    (or you can even just do winver from search)

What does that say?

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  5. domkey Win User
    I bought my computer with Win 7 installed. It has always come up Win 7, so I don't see how the product key in Bios would be different. I have never been even close to win 8 or 8.1.

I opened up winver as you instructed. It does say win10 build 10240, so that really has me puzzled where Belarc would have gotten win8 build 9600 from my computer.

domkey, Aug 7, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Maybe email Belarc and ask them about it?

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2015
  7. domkey Win User
    Thanks! I just did that. I'll post what they say when they reply...hoping they do.

domkey, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or Windows 8.1?

Did you grab a new Belarc or use what you had. There were many 3rd party programs that mis-identified Win10 as Win8.1 during the preview.

Try downloading a fresh copy of Belarc Advisor

Slartybart, Aug 7, 2015
  9. domkey Win User
    You hit it!!! A BIG thanks! I couldn't remember if I used my regular setting, so I cleared everything out then went on line and started from there for Belarc. When it came up, it was Windows 10 with the right build! I would have never thought of getting a fresh copy of it. I really appreciate your suggestion and hopefully, someone else will see this thread and be helped as well!! Again, Thanks!

domkey, Aug 7, 2015
  10. You're welcome.

Keep this experience in mind as you explore Win10 - there might be more software that migrated and is NOT Win10 aware.
    Simple fix is to check for an update to that software *Wink

If you use a 3rd party Anti-Virus, definitely check for an updated version. MS Defender (full real time Anti-Virus - not the malware scanner of previous Win versions) works well enough for me. You might consider adding Malwarebytes (Mbam) FREE to your anti-malware portfolio - this is an on demand scanner that does a good job protecting your system from malware that is not a virus. Mbam Free is not real time protection though, you have to periodically launch a scan.

Slartybart, Aug 7, 2015
  11. domkey Win User
    I will do that-check for updates in my software. The transition to Win 10 has gone pretty decent for me with regard to my existing programs, but I am still learning. I am glad to know there is a forum for Win 10. I am also glad to know that MS Defender is sufficient. I have been (and currently) using Emsisoft Anti-Malware real time protection for a couple years. When my subscription is out I may just use the MS Defender, since you are quite satisfied it does what it is supposed to do. I do plan to download MBAM shortly.

I appreciate the suggestions!

domkey, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Cool!

Malwarebytes plays well with most AV programs, it's a good tool to have on your belt.

You can find good information on the threads, but you might have to sift though the posts to find a solution to an issue. TenForums tutorials are well written and tested.

For quick reference to the tutorials, visit the Tutorial index:

Windows 10 Tutorial Index - Windows 10 Forums
    You can also browse the categories or search the section:

Windows 10 Tutorials
    Signing off your thread now

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 7, 2015
  13. hawkman Win User

Dont forget that your unique windows activation code is on the sticker attached to your >>W7<< computer, unless its rubbed off you dont need Belarc or any other keyfinder

Roy

hawkman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 or Windows 8.1? - Similar Threads - Upgraded

2. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  3. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  4. Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again: Hi so i just tried upgrading my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and after it finish's the upgrade it just shows the crash screen and sets back windows 7 again the crash screen said "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" how to fix it?...
  5. Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again

Windows 7 upgrading into windows 10 and it would just crash and sets back windows 7 again: Hi so i just tried upgrading my windows 7 laptop to windows 10 and after it finish's the upgrade it just shows the crash screen and sets back windows 7 again the crash screen said "Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" how to fix it?...
  6. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  7. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  8. Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?: Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am not too savvy with CPU stuff. All I know is that a requirement to download 11 is SSE4.2, which I have but I am still worried I am missing something...
  9. Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?

Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?: Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I am not too savvy with CPU stuff. All I know is that a requirement to download 11 is SSE4.2, which I have but I am still worried I am missing something...
  10. Does my Windows 10 laptop's CPU support upgrading to 11?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade

Users found this page by searching for:

1. BELARC ADVISOR SAYS Windows 8.1 Professional (x64) (build 9600) BUT LATEST VIRISI0N 10

2. why does belarc advisor list window 10 home as windows 8.1