Windows 10: Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

Discus and support Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I replaced an old HDD drive with SSD drive. I had a Windows 7 home edition on old hard disk. Now I am trying to re-use the same product key on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by vijay ygr, Jul 14, 2020.

1. vijay ygr Win User

Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

Hello,

I replaced an old HDD drive with SSD drive. I had a Windows 7 home edition on old hard disk. Now I am trying to re-use the same product key on Windows 10 installed fresh on new SSD. It is not allowing me to enter. Because it has different format and number of characters. I bought the laptop 8 years ago when I was in UAE. Now, I am in US and trying to install Windows 10 with US format. Trying to use old Windows 7 product as it was genuine. How do I get the old key to make it work on Windows 10. Can some one please help me on this?

Windows 7 product key format on old hard disk: XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX

Windows 10 product key is expecting in the format of: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Many thanks in advance.

Vijay

:)

vijay ygr, Jul 14, 2020
  2. little cat, Jul 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

Unable to access the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10

Hi Alan,

As you are facing issues with accessing the external hard drive after upgrading to Windows 10, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What exactly happens when you try to access the drive?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code of this issue?
    • Were you able to detect the device under Device Manager/ File Explorer?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to check if there are any drivers with yellow exclamatory mark in the Device Manager.

• Press Windows + X from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager
    • Right click on the detected driver, click on Properties
      and check the device status.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of this issue with the required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10

1. Upgraded hard drive for Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Upgraded hard drive

2. Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Upgrade - Not Showing External Hard Drive: This morning, Windows 10 updated. Last night, the external hard drive was working.PROBLEM: After the update, I cannot access the external hard drive.I tried other USB ports in the non-working Windows 10 computer. The hard drive is not recognized in any port.I moved the...
  3. Sharing a hard drive for Windows 10 Upgrade?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing a hard drive for Windows 10 Upgrade?: Hello, Following problem, can I share my SSD? I only have one to transfer Windows to the new PC but it has all my data from the old PC on it. The NVme SSD is not compatible with the old PC. Is there any way I can share the SSD? Festplatte für Windows 10 Upgrade teilen?
  4. Upgrading hard Drives

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading hard Drives: This is a custom built PC I want to buy a new system board & add a bigger SSD to my system an load my OS from it instead of the HDD. I have a digital licensefree upgrade in 2016 How does one go about this process? Am I able to reinstall my OS to a new drive and keep my...
  5. Hard drive crashed after windows 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive crashed after windows 10 upgrade: Is there any assistance Microsoft can provide due to my hard drive (HP Pavillion 15Z Laptop - 2 1/2 years old) crashing after a windows 10 upgrade was completed. The hard drive will need to be replaced....
  6. New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Hard Drive - Windows 10 Upgrade: I have a Lenovo G580 laptop that came with Windows 8 originally installed. After the Windows 10 release, I upgraded. The hard drive has been slowing down, so decided to replace with a SSHD. Before doing that, I did the Windows 10,1903 update, then I created a Windows...
  7. Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?

Is it possible to upgrade Windows 10 on an external hard drive?: I have a "Windows To Go" hard drive (in other words, a Windows 10 Pro installion that is installed directly into an external USB hard drive), and I want to upgrade from version 1803 (RS4) to version 1809 (RS5). But when I try to update it says that I can't upgrade/install...
  8. upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives

upgrade to windows 10 with multiple hard drives: i know its been asked before, but most of the related posts on the subject are almost 2 years old - millenia in computing terms so im looking to upgrade to windows 10 from 7 - instigated by experiencing an oculus VR headset and touch controllers over the weekend and reading...
  9. Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive

Windows 10 upgrades using external hard drive: I am unable to use the latest upgrades due to lack of storage. My SD drive won't accept the new upgrades. Can I use the Seagate - Expansion 1TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive to accept the new upgrades? 97202
  10. Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive

Upgrading to Windows 10 on a new Hard Drive: A friend of mine currently has Windows 7 installed and wants to get a new hard drive and then upgrade to Windows 10. Whats the current way to do this? 59709