Windows 10: Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant

Discus and support Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have experienced a number of times that an installation of Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10, feels less performant than a Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/stephvd_b, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant

I have experienced a number of times that an installation of Windows 7 that was upgraded to Windows 10, feels less performant than a Windows 10 installed from scratch on the same hardware. It boots slower and generally has more lag. It is stable though, no bsods or anything. Everything works.

Are there some hidden remains of Windows 7 that are slowing down Windows 10? Is there something I can do to get the speed back, without having to format and reinstall all programs and peripherals?

Thanks for your help.

submitted by /u/stephvd_b
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/stephvd_b, Apr 25, 2020
  2. radorn Win User

Windows Update stalls in fresh W7 install after W10 upgrade. and more things

New user here.
    Thanks in advance for your attention and sorry if this was answered already, but I couldn't seem to find it, so here it is.

In the last few days I've had 2 problems with Windows 7 SP1 after a fresh install of W7 and upgrade to W10 in a separate disk that I later just scrapped.
    After that, my current W7 installation in a different disk stopped booting and couldn't be fixed and now a fresh install of W7 just won't get updates.

So, here's how I did it.
    I have a W7 installation on a 1tb HD, which is my main daily use system. It worked correctly. I have also an SSD that I bought with the intention of using as system disk for speed.
    I read that MS uses HWIDs to keep track of whether you can use win10 or not, so I did a fresh install of W7 on that SSD (other disks disconnected so they wouldn't be "touched" by W10 just yet) and then proceeeded to upgrade to W10 from there.
    All went fine, W10 installed, I tried it, disliked it and just reconnected the older 1TB drive with my main W7 installation and started using that again. scrapped the files I was interested in keeping from my adventure in win10 from the SSD and erased it. This was about 5 days ago

Now, after using my old W7 for that time, yesterday it just wouldn't boot again. It gives up during the logo screen (the 4 colored light balls that form the glowing windows logo don't even appear) and boots into the emergency repair screen. I tried the automatic repair, the sfc program, system restore. nothing worked.
    I must say that I performed several updates and also a number of driver installs (Intel Matrix and Jmicron IDE/SATA), in addition to the w10 try-out, and intially I had no doubt that these were the culprit, but now I'm suspecting something else, because:

Now I've done a new fresh install of W7 SP1 Ultimate x64 (X17-59465) and windows update won't work. At first it says it needs to update the update client/agent, and apparently that succeeds, but when I try to get more updates after that it just doesn't seem to get anywhere. I've left it for more than 1 hour and it just keeps saying "Checking for updates...", the progress bar rolls and nothing happens.

Question is. Since I updated to W10 with this hardware and didn't perform the rollback, could it be that I'm considered W10-bound by MS's servers or something like that? If that's the case, what can I do?
    If not, any other ideas?

Also, suggestions on possible ways to recover the older installation where I still have plenty of stuff I want to recover. Not just files, as these are easy to scavenge, but stuff buried within the system that can only be extracted from within the running system, or are much easier to do that way.

radorn, Apr 25, 2020
  3. BobiJoBJ Win User
    W7 to W10 upgrade

I have tried to upgrade to W10 home premium from my 64-bit W7 home premium operating system on my laptop. I checked that I meet all requirements and have tried everything anyone ever suggested. I wasted 2 days in December 2015, and still failed.

I had no problem in March 2016 upgrading my desktop W7 Ultimate to W10, so I thought I might try again to upgrade my W7 home premium.

I have now wasted another 2 days in March trying to upgrade the laptop. Either it is a problem with my laptop that the Windows Update Trouble-Shooter does not find, or W7 Home Premium (64) will not upgrade to W10. I give up.

BobiJoBJ, Apr 25, 2020
  4. Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant

W7 to W10 upgrade

I am considering upgrading from my current w7 home premium 64 bit to w10 which is offered free.

Main reason due to w7 home premium only allowing me to use half of my 32gm of ram.

Simple question:

Will w7 home premium 64 bit upgrade to w10 home 64 bit?

jetmechnor, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant

1. Upgraded installation of W7 to W10 is less performant - Similar Threads - Upgraded installation W10

2. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  3. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  4. Installation Failure W7 - W10

Installation Failure W7 - W10: Laptop couldn't install W10, set back to previous state W7Pro. Failure code 0x800707E7-OX3000D. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. Is anyone familiar with this?...
  5. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  6. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  7. Installers written for W7 - on W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installers written for W7 - on W10?: Hi all *Smile I am thinking of building a 64-bit W10 machine; I currently use 64-bit W7. I remember going from W98 to XP, it was impossible to install many (all?) w98 apps in XP, until the sw dev came out with a new installer compatible with XP. Same with XP to Vista....
  8. Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade

Trouble with W7 Pro to W10 upgrade: I'm trying to do an upgrade, but it keeps on stopping on this error: 0xC1900101-0x4000D. Can someone point me to a solution? 26379
  9. Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10

Installing W7 updates before upgrading to W10: I have had to reinstall my W7 OS and intend to upgrade it to W10. Can I do so without having to download and instal all the previous W7 updates ? 66974
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...