Windows 10: Upgraded motherboard, now sound gets out of sync

Discus and support Upgraded motherboard, now sound gets out of sync in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Recently I upgraded by motherboard and CPU (and RAM), the old one being an ASRock Z68 Pro3, the new one being an ASUS Prime Z390-P. Everything went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Warp Roxxorz, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Upgraded motherboard, now sound gets out of sync

Recently I upgraded by motherboard and CPU (and RAM), the old one being an ASRock Z68 Pro3, the new one being an ASUS Prime Z390-P.

Everything went surprisingly well and without any problems... except for one thing. I had been using this PC with the old motherboard for almost 10 years without any sort of video/audio problem, but after the upgrade I quite quickly noticed a very annoying problem: In pretty much all video players (including those that run on the web browser, such as the YouTube player and the Twitch player), the video/audio sync would slowly drift, until they are completely out of sync. When playing some video eg. with Media Player Classic, I measured them getting out of sync by approximately 1 second in 5 minutes of playing the video. However, this seems to depend on what's being played, and with what (for example with YouTube it's extremely inconsistent, with some videos not getting out of sync almost at all, while others get out of sync very quickly).

Curiously, and very strangely, shutting down the PC, which makes Windows go to hibernation, and then starting it up again (which makes Windows restore itself from hibernation) fixes the problem... mostly. In the vast majority of situations the drift is gone, and all video and audio do not drift apart anymore... except that there's still a barely noticeable but annoying difference in sync between them. With Media Player Classic I have measured, at least with some videos, it's about 70 ms. If I put an audio delay of that amount in MPC, then the video and the audio sync perfectly. By default, however, there's that barely-noticeable but still annoying delay. With eg. YouTube videos there's no recourse, as it has no audio/video delay option.

As mentioned, I had used this PC for almost 10 years before the motherboard upgrade, and never had any such problems. They started immediately with the upgrade.

I have tried completely uninstalling both video and audio drivers, and reinstalling them from scratch. It made absolutely no difference.

I'm wondering what the approach here should be. I'm wondering if resetting Windows from the system settings could perhaps fix this.

I must confess I'm not extremely eager to do that. I do understand that resetting Windows will keep all my data, but if I understand correctly, it will uninstall all third-party software, meaning that I will need to re-install everything from scratch, which will be quite an amount of work. And whether it will actually fix the problem is not guaranteed. (If I knew with 100% certainty that it would fix the problem, I would do it in a heartbeat, right at this very second. However, I dread doing so only to find out that it has done absolutely nothing to the problem, and now I have to reinstall every program, while still having the annoying audio sync problem, so the whole process was a completely useless waste of time.)

:)

Warp Roxxorz, Jun 16, 2019
  2. fireberd Win User

Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Jun 16, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue Upgraded motherboard, now sound gets out of sync :p

cadaveca, Jun 16, 2019
  4. Upgraded motherboard, now sound gets out of sync

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Jun 16, 2019
Thema:

Upgraded motherboard, now sound gets out of sync

1. Upgraded motherboard, now sound gets out of sync - Similar Threads - Upgraded motherboard sound

2. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???: I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't...
  3. Windows 11 sound out of sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 sound out of sync: I tried everything to fix it... I use Infinity Glide N133 as my output device and it's bluetooth, I recieve major voice delay in youtbe videos... idk why but videos pause for a sec or 2 at the start of it and when played/pause and the audio goes completely out of sync : I...
  4. Windows 11 sound out of sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 sound out of sync: I tried everything to fix it... I use Infinity Glide N133 as my output device and it's bluetooth, I recieve major voice delay in youtbe videos... idk why but videos pause for a sec or 2 at the start of it and when played/pause and the audio goes completely out of sync : I...
  5. Upgraded motherboard and CPU - now getting random crashes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgraded motherboard and CPU - now getting random crashes: Hello! I upgraded from B350 motherboard to B550 and also replaced my Ryzen 7 1800X with a 3800X. Specs now are: 16 GB 3200 MHz RAM MSI Gaming Trio RTX 3080 3 GB Ryzen 7 3800X Windows 10 Pro I found Windows even after a fresh install will crash when I'm playing games or...
  6. Sound Drifting Out Of Sync With Video

Sound Drifting Out Of Sync With Video: Recently I've notcied the sound going out of sync on Netflix. Happens after 5 or 10 minutes, and is easily resolved by simply pausing for a second and restarting. I've tried Netflix on two browsers and the same problem arises. I've also tried watching a private video on VLC...
  7. Sound Drifting Out Of Sync With Video

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Sound Drifting Out Of Sync With Video: Recently I've notcied the sound going out of sync on Netflix. Happens after 5 or 10 minutes, and is easily resolved by simply pausing for a second and restarting. I've tried Netflix on two browsers and the same problem arises. I've also tried watching a private video on VLC...
  8. Sound Is Out of Sync With Videos

Sound Is Out of Sync With Videos: I just bought the Audioengine 5+ and Audioengine S8 speaker system about a month ago. The sound was awesome until after the Windows 10 ver. 2004 Update. I started experiencing sound going out of sync with video after the update. I updated the Realtek driver, but the sound...
  9. Sound out of sync while playing videos after motherboard upgrade

Sound out of sync while playing videos after motherboard upgrade: Recently I upgraded by motherboard and CPU (and RAM), the old one being an ASRock Z68 Pro3, the new one being an ASUS Prime Z390-P. Everything went surprisingly well and without any problems... except for one thing. I had been using this PC with the old motherboard for...
  10. Sound and audio out of sync on win10

Sound and audio out of sync on win10: I've been experiencing this while watching youtube or some other video streaming service for a while now, and I just can't figure out what's causing this and how to fix it. The audio is usually fine for a while, and then the audio goes out of sync. It's a lot worse when...