Windows 10: Upgraded Motherboard/Processor - bought a new Windows 10 Key from Newegg and I can't get it...

Discus and support Upgraded Motherboard/Processor - bought a new Windows 10 Key from Newegg and I can't get it... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Long story short, I upgraded my motherboard/processor and bought a new Windows 10 product key from Newegg since I was doing a hardware upgrade. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TheFang, Sep 14, 2019.

1. TheFang Win User

Upgraded Motherboard/Processor - bought a new Windows 10 Key from Newegg and I can't get it...

Long story short, I upgraded my motherboard/processor and bought a new Windows 10 product key from Newegg since I was doing a hardware upgrade. I've been trying to activate using my new product key but I keep getting "We can't activate Windows on this Device right. You can try activating again later or go to the Store to buy genuine Windows. Error code: 0xC004F025".

I've tried so many different things from google and none of them have been successful. Prior to upgrading my hardware, my old product key had no issues with activation.

Any ideas how to fix this? I thought buying a new product key and activating Windows 10 would be straight forward.

Will

:)

TheFang, Sep 14, 2019
  2. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Sep 14, 2019
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    Upgrading Processor, Motherboard, and Ram

Everything but the motherboard can be upgraded; new motherboard will make the pc

not genuine.

Installing from iso dvd or thumb drive would work but the same issue.

You have the same license terms as when win7 was installed and it carried over to win10;

OEM (hp,dell, toshiba etc.) or retail ( you bought win7).

If you can not upgrade on the current motherboard, cpu, ram, video card for less than a new complete system including the os ?

This also depends on the current configuration, how old are, is the pc.

Not pushing amd but new 4 core cpu's are $129 retail., system boards range from $100

and up, ddr4 ram 130 fo 16 gig just as an example.

kjl1956, Sep 14, 2019
  4. Upgraded Motherboard/Processor - bought a new Windows 10 Key from Newegg and I can't get it...

Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade after buying new motherboard de-activated windows

It depends on how Windows 10 was originally configured on your computer.

If its a full retail store bought license online or offline, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a retail store bought Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

If its the free upgrade from a OEM preinstalled Windows 7 or Windows 8 license, it is NOT transferable to a new computer or motherboard.

Learn more about transferring your license:

If its a retail license, learn how to reactivate using your product key:

Andre Da Costa, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

Upgraded Motherboard/Processor - bought a new Windows 10 Key from Newegg and I can't get it...

1. Upgraded Motherboard/Processor - bought a new Windows 10 Key from Newegg and I can't get it... - Similar Threads - Upgraded Motherboard Processor

2. New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11: I have bought a new motherboard and processor in order to upgrade to Win 11. Will I be able to keep existing programs and settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-processor-upgrade-to-win11/c22d9f62-2bf1-423b-8060-890f8e5c117e
  3. New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Motherboard and processor upgrade to Win11: I have bought a new motherboard and processor in order to upgrade to Win 11. Will I be able to keep existing programs and settings? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-motherboard-and-processor-upgrade-to-win11/c22d9f62-2bf1-423b-8060-890f8e5c117e
  4. Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died: Hello All, I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. After I put my old hard drive back in . I couldn't login with my pin. Then noticed windows wasn't activated anymore. I recently purchased a Windows 10/11 Pro key through the Microsoft store , but can not find the...
  5. Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died

Changed motherboard and processor upgrade. Key died: Hello All, I recently upgraded my motherboard and processor. After I put my old hard drive back in . I couldn't login with my pin. Then noticed windows wasn't activated anymore. I recently purchased a Windows 10/11 Pro key through the Microsoft store , but can not find the...
  6. New Motherboard and Processor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Motherboard and Processor: Hello I have a new motherboard and processor. I had to do so because of hardware malfunction. I still have the old drive as I installed windows on a new one. Is there a way to get the old key off the old drive to activate the new windows or transfer the license on my account?...
  7. New Motherboard and Processor

New Motherboard and Processor: Hello I have a new motherboard and processor. I had to do so because of hardware malfunction. I still have the old drive as I installed windows on a new one. Is there a way to get the old key off the old drive to activate the new windows or transfer the license on my account?...
  8. New Motherboard and Processor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  9. Product Key - have installed new processor and motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product Key - have installed new processor and motherboard: HiI was hoping someone may be able to help. I purchased my gaming PC from overclockers in the UK with Windows 10 pro pre installed and since upgrading my processor, memory and motherboard I have the Acitvate Windows watermark on my monitor.I did consider buying another key...
  10. New motherboard & Processor

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New motherboard & Processor: I have Windows 10 Home Anniversary update. I installed this OS by a free upgrade from Windows 7. I want to take the hard drive and put it in another tower that has a different motherboard, memory, and processor. What will I have to do to make sure the OS stays activated? 93672