Windows 10: Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

Discus and support Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again??? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by echo808, Apr 29, 2022.

1. echo808 Win User

Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now" but eventually got through and let me choose the PC. Then it was fine.Restarted my PC to update some apps, then it's again saying "We can't activate Windows on this device issue" ...and again with the server issues.Why did it deactivate again??? Why is it having "server" issues???

:)

echo808, Apr 29, 2022

2. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would happen if I use the Remove PC option in the list of devices in my Microsoft Account? Is there a way to do a remote wipe from the Microsoft account with Find My Device?

Keith Weisshar, Apr 29, 2022
  3. WhyMe Win User
    New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Apr 29, 2022
  4. WhyMe Win User

New Motherboard and Reactivation

That is definitely correct if replacing the motherboard as part of an upgrade. However, this not an upgrade. Therefore, I believe your conclusion is incorrect.

This is because replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model mobo is not an upgrade but a hardware repair. That type of repair does not meet the any specified definition of an upgrade as stated or defined within the EULA.

WhyMe, Apr 29, 2022
Thema:

1. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again??? - Similar Threads - Upgraded motherboard Reactivated

2. Reactivate a deactivated HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivate a deactivated HDD: Hello,I wanted to disable my HDD Drive today in order to boost my Computer's performance. I did it too quick and was not really knowing what I'm doing. I followed this guide: Windows + X > Disk Manager > right click on HDD > Properties > Driver tab > Disable Device. There was...
  3. Reactivate a deactivated HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivate a deactivated HDD: Hello,I wanted to disable my HDD Drive today in order to boost my Computer's performance. I did it too quick and was not really knowing what I'm doing. I followed this guide: Windows + X > Disk Manager > right click on HDD > Properties > Driver tab > Disable Device. There was...
  4. Reactivate a deactivated HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???: I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't...
  6. Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgraded motherboard. Reactivated. Now deactivated again???: I upgraded my motherboard and CPU. It's giving me the "We can't activate Windows on this device" issue.Did the whole troubleshooting, "I changed hardware on this device recently". Then took a while since it kept giving me the "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't...
  7. Reactivate deactivated network?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivate deactivated network?: Was in my network connections and wanted to change something there (under properties) but I came to disable it and do not know how to enable it again because it is no longer displayed there. If it brings something it was responsible for giving Hotspot. So for my Wlan usb...
  8. Changed motherboard and CPU and now windows is deactivated?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changed motherboard and CPU and now windows is deactivated?: I had heard of this issue before, but now it's happened to me. I've tried contacting microsoft about it, but every time I call the support number, I'm on hold for 30+ minutes and then I get the "Would you like us to call you back when someone is available" automated line. I...
  9. Upgraded my motherboard and windows has deactivated, wont reactivate

Upgraded my motherboard and windows has deactivated, wont reactivate: I upgraded to 10 during the free period, and I've just changed my mobo which has deactivated windows. The trouble shooting option just tells me to buy a new key. Any way to fix this or because I got the free upgrade its just bricked? 0xC004C003 error...
  10. Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.

Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.: Hey all I recently upgraded my motherboard and tried reactivating windows by going to Activation clicking on troubleshoot and clicking on the option that says I changed hardware on this device recently and selecting my old computer unfortunately Im just greeted with the text...